Author Topic: Comment on Kia Sedona.  (Read 4637 times)

New2cars

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« on: August 17, 2005, 10:29:52 pm »
Hello,

With an addition soon to the family, I am thinking of getting a minivan with parking assistant.

I have never owned a minivan and need your advice.

I am looking for one that cheap on gas and good engine, most domestics are heavy on gas and with less hosepower.

The Japaneses give better gas but expensive.

I am think of the 2006 Kia Sedona because of the warranty.

Given that I have never driven a minivan in my life I am worry about rollover over.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mdxtasy

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:58:33 pm »
Welcome to the forum New2cars.

We were in the same situation as you are now when our son was still in the oven.  Looked at the minivans and really loved the versatility.  We were looking at a Honda van but decided against it.  Anyway, minvans are efficent to a point, probably looking at 10L/100KM or so.  Rollovers aren't much of a concern.  The centre of gravity is higher up but nobody driving them should try to corner hard with them anyway.  

If you're looking at getting something efficient with the versatility of a minivan, have you looked or considered the Mazda5?  Small but spacious.  

No experience with the Kia vans...so I can't comment.  Personally, I never buy a vehicle based solely on the warranty it offers.

Sterling

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 12:15:18 am »
Is the '06 Sedona different from previous models? Seems to me that every review I've read about the Sedona mentions its poor fuel economy due to the fact that it outweighs its competitors by hundreds of pounds.

Smainville

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 06:28:41 am »
It is very heavy, body on frame.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 07:33:09 am »
Hey the Pillsbury dough boy bought a loaded MDX....
like his Mazda 5 suggestion though....
  Did anyone catch the Daily Show clip .......
"when does "bread" begin....when ya put the "flour" inta the eggs  and kneed it vigorously OR when ya pull the buns out the Oven...!!!!"...... ROW V's WADE the fishermans dilemma.....!!!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Hondasalesguy

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:18:58 am »
Sedona probably has the worst fuel economy of all the vans... it is yesterday's technology that's why they have to sell it for so much less than the Japanese.

I believe they are working on an all new Sedona but not sure when it's due.

Mr_meow

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 08:35:08 am »
Take the new mazda 5 - its cheaper on gas  - it will  easy take you and the misses and the kids too - its a mini mini van - plus Mazda Reliabilty - if you must buy a slighty larger Mini Van Get a Freestar, GM or a Caravan but only with extended warranty - but after you see the Mazda 5 why would you want to.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/overviews/2006/mazda/5.php

(Message edited by mr meow on August 18, 2005)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 09:43:37 am »
I think u can get a pretty decent deal on a brand-new Caravan...
if ur leasing, dont forget to buy the extra guarantee to cover the whole leasing period...

Mdxtasy

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 11:11:47 am »
Tickle me Saf.  

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 12:07:23 pm »

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 12:29:38 pm »
Can't beat the Mazda5 - especially if price and handling are important, and you really don't need ALL the room of a huge van.

The new '06 Sedona should be a VERY good option for people. The new engine is powerful and efficient, the vehicle more lightweight, and it will offer far more room, initially offered in long wheelbase but eventually in short as well. It should be priced extremely competitively (think Sonata) and Hyundai will be getting a version called the Entourage. If you need the room of the Japanese vans but cringe at their price, and don't need the van immediately, I'd certainly wait around to see what the Kia/Hyundai vans are like. I'll bet they'll be worth consideration.

The current Sedona is a heavy, thirsty, not terrible but not brilliant vehicle.

The Caravan is still a competitive van, and a plenty popular one, at a decent price. As is the Mazda MPV.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 12:40:08 pm »
I saw that bit on the Daily Show, Saf.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Kelefe

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 12:53:53 pm »
New2Cars, give the Mazda5 a try. I'll suspect that you'll like it...

How many people are going to be in your car? How much cargo capacity will you need? Just asking to see if maybe a wagon would fit your needs.

Avtoller

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 03:33:59 pm »
I took a good look at the Mazda5 when I tried the Mazda3. It's not a vehicle that relates to MY needs, but it seemed like a very nicely laid-out, intelligent design. I agree that it might well be worth a test drive.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 10:43:35 am »

Interesting that overseas they'll have an 11-person Sedona:
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000340054898/

A4_tom

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 12:26:43 pm »
That 11-passenger Sedona should use as an airport to hotel shuttle like Econoline does.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 03:27:37 pm »
I second Sir A's comments.  I talked to a Kia rep today whilst getting my car serviced and he said the new Sedona and Hyundai Entourage will have a 3.8 litre engine.

As an aside, he also told me that the 3.8 will also appear in the 2007 Sorento.  The Sorento will become a 7 passenger SUV.  I had hoped for the new Sonata engine but perhaps this will be better still.

(Message edited by random006 on August 19, 2005)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

A4_tom

Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 06:55:54 pm »
So are the new Sedona/Entourage going to be an 06 or 07? Or early 06 introduction as 07?

Offline sly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 07:56:32 pm »
The new Sedona will be significantly from the current one, so you should wait to find out more on fuel economy, price etc...

The current one is a pig on gas, by far the worst of minis, rather in the same category as mid-size SUVs. It is comfortable but has horrible road manners otherwise.

Many mentioned the Mazda 5, but it is rather small by mini standards, if a mini at all (I know it sounds weird! But minis are no longer minis).

In the meantime, I think the Caravan is the best middle ground.  

As mentioned earlier, don't rely too much on warranties. Getting anyone to respect their warranty is like pulling teeths, and winning is very hard.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Comment on Kia Sedona.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 11:25:54 am »
Random, the 3.8 is a "big-Bore" version of the Sonata's 3.3.  Same engine family.

New Sedona will be on the ground in about a month, and spec for spec sounds like an Odyssey that they Xerox'd.
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/epitherm-special1108044003.jpg
The current Sedona is a dog.  It actually is a nice van, but as stated way way to heavy (even has a steel gas tank ???) and underpowered with the Hyundai 3.5 204hp DOHC mill.

Entourage will be an '07, coming in Spring.  New Theta engines are quite efficient in the Sonata, so you should see comparable economy performance as the drive train is introduced accross the line.

And it is all new, not a cobbled together rehash of old platforms like the current unit.