Author Topic: James' 9 Car Test Drive (Warning LONG).....  (Read 21825 times)

Corey

James' 9 Car Test Drive (Warning LONG).....
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 12:44:00 pm »
Interesting read, James. I too, would choose the Mazda 3 of those you reviewed. I'm really curious to see what Honda brings to the table with the next Civic. If they maintain or improve the current fuel economy it just might be our second car in a couple years. Alternatively, the way the 3 is selling we could probably pick up a nice one coming off a 3 year lease.

On a related note, my wife and I were on holiday for the month of July and managed to rent two cars during that period: a Mitsubishi Lancer followed by a Hyundai Elantra, both firsts for me. While the Lancer (MSRP $15998) was just okay, we were very impressed with the Elantra VE 4-door Auto (MSRP $18365). The Hyundai was quiet on the highway, fully loaded (air, cruise, power everything, CD), comfortable, had a large trunk that easily fit all our luggage and had decent fuel economy. I believe that it was only doing about 2600 rpm @ 120km/h. The only negative would be a lack of power but that's not really what this car is all about. I wonder how it would rate in your comparison?

Kelefe

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 12:52:28 pm »
Great review James! I was a little surprised how high you actually ranked the HHR given how most of what you said in the review is negative, but the rankings still make sense.  

I would be very interested to see where the new Civic would rank in this comparo, as well as the new Echo HB.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 01:04:11 pm »
Hey James, it'd be nice if you could review the PT Cruiser, Neon, Imprezza, Elantra and Spectra and add those to this review. It would then give a very complete overview of the compact entry level market. Might also want to add the Lancer in there just for fun.

Btw, are you trying to impress Grant with your reviews?

Barrie1

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 01:04:41 pm »
I believe the Cobalt SS would move this model up the ladder somewhat as the seats are a different kind. They are Ricarro seats I believe in that model altho the price does increase for this model well over the set limit that you had. A very Good Review Jamesbe. Thank You.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 01:16:44 pm »
The Cobalt SS would have to be compared with the Corolla XRS, Ion Redline, Focus SVT, Mazdaspeed 3 (whenever that one comes out), Sentra SE-R Spec-V and Civic SiR (which doesn't exist anymore, so I guess the base RSX if its priced similarily to the other entries). In the company of those cars, I'm not so sure if the Cobalt would improve its ranking...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 03:05:57 pm »
Grant doesn't read the forums.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 03:18:16 pm »
Interesting how Hyundai didn't bother with the comparo. Is there some snobbery starting with their development of higher quality products of late like Honda and Toyota?

Eax

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 03:18:47 pm »
but Paul Williams certainly does if he got you in on his comparison test...;-)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 03:42:04 pm »
I don't believe he does either, I asked to be in on it :-)

Davidm

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 05:46:45 pm »
Jamesbe,

While the Audi was out with damage, my wife had an 05 Corolla CE (automatic).  Two things you didn't comment on that I found (and I curious if you found the same):

1) super touchy throttle.  I guess good throttle response would be the positive spin, but I found the car impossible to get off the line smoothly.  Especially with the remarkably peppy engine.

2) mushy, uninspired brakes.  With that engine getting you up to speed faster than expected, I found the brakes required a lot of effort, with a very disconcerting mushy/never-ending brake pedal feel.

Overall, totally agree on fabulous appliance.

Thoughts?

Claudster

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 05:54:11 pm »
My girlfriend drives the same generation Corolla and I found those exact same faults the very first time she let me drive it.Brakes felt like car was in need of a brake job.
Overall a very good review,and a good place to start when compareing those cars.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 07:05:14 pm »
Interesting, the brakes felt fine on my tester, it was a manual tranny.

S60

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2005, 07:49:06 pm »
Well done Jamesbe, when can we expect some more reviews.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 09:16:45 am »
Davidm, you wrote: "1) super touchy throttle. I guess good throttle response would be the positive spin, but I found the car impossible to get off the line smoothly. Especially with the remarkably peppy engine."  

I found the same thing. I was in a 2006 Corolla w/ manual transmission for a few days, and the touchy throttle made it really hard to pull away smoothly from a stop. Toyota made a switch to an electronic throttle for 2005, which I think is the difference. My dad has a 2004 Corolla, also a manual tranny, and it's not as touchy as the newer ones. I don't know why, but every current-generation Corolla I've driven idles at close to 2,000 rpm until the engine warms up. It's really annoying - you don't even need to touch the gas pedal to motor around at parking lot speeds.

As for the brakes, I don't find them to be too bad. A little lacking in pedal feel, but they stopped the car just fine and without drama.

And James - whenever did you get the time to test drive all those cars?
I used to work here.

Offline sleepyzippy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2005, 11:56:33 am »
Same goes with the Vibe. There's dead zone when applying gas, and then the engine will suddenly come alive. It needs a lot of practice to get the car start to move smoothly. Maybe the Matrix is the same?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005, 12:49:35 pm »
They've (Corolla/Matrix/Vibe) gone with throttle-by-wire for 2005. It does take getting used to because the response doesn't seem linear, and seems to change with engine and environmental parameters.
It does take some getting used to, though now I find other cars seem difficult to drive smoothly.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 02:24:52 pm »
GRANT CAN READ....Damn I'm in trouble NOW ...!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Avtoller

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2005, 02:29:45 pm »
Ah, but you can't write, so you are safe.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2005, 02:35:16 pm »
Aaahh SAVED BY THE BULL....!!!!!!

Rucain

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 09:13:58 am »
Nissan sentra 1991, fuel gauge works for a minute and then the needle drops down to zero.....even when the fuel tank is full....Some times fuel gauge does not work at all...