Author Topic: James' Saturday Test Drive Ford Focus  (Read 6695 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
James' Saturday Test Drive Ford Focus
« on: May 01, 2005, 09:57:44 am »
Test drove a Ford Focus ZX3 SE today....

Well I decided I would start doing some test drives of cars in the $20k range in order to get a feel for what you get for that kind of money.  Primarily this is so I can decide whether I want to buy a $20k car for a winter beater or buy a used $20k car which would retail for closer to $30k new.  Peace of mind on the new car is a nice thing to have…..

Anyway, dealership experience was quite good actually, the dealer had about 20 mustangs on the front of the lot, including 6 convertibles (all red), I thought those were rare right now??

So I got a good look at a ZX3 which is the 3 door focus (Sorry no pics it was raining).  The interior is spacious, with tons of trunk room, the back seats on the other hand do not fold well at all, they are too ‘poofy” and barely fold down to about 30 degrees.  The centre console is very cheap feeling and looking, black hard plastics with an armrest that just seemed like it was built by a high school shop class.  The dash on the other hand has a nice textured look to it, which looks like it is made of soft material, it isn’t but I didn’t expect it to be, the audio and HVAC controls are well laid out with a aluminum accented dash piece which was nice.  

The seat bolstering is very squishy which I didn’t like, the seats were comfy though but not very supportive.  There is a crank to raise and lower the seat, I lowered it all the way and still felt like I was sitting up high in a truck, not my style.  I don’t think Shnak would fit I didn’t have that much headroom left in the car with the seat all the way lowered, I was surprised.  The car I test drove didn’t have tilt or telescoping steering, as a result I felt like the wheel was too far from me, I’ve never had this problem before so that I found odd.  I sat in one in the showroom with this feature and it seemed like I could get a better grip on the wheel.

Driving impressions
I was actually allowed to take the car out on my own :-) , which of course meant I could go NUTS hahhahah j/k.  The dealership is located near the country so I found a few good roads that were windy and 80km/h as well as a short highway run.

The pedals are HORRIBLE was my first impression, the clutch is WAY too close to the brake pedal, my knees were touching together when pushing the clutch in, VERY annoying.  The shifter was pretty darn sloppy with long throws.  On the other hand, the steering felt nice, just the right feel, the engine pulled fairly strong to the imaginary redline (as there was no tach), it was pretty peppy.

I went up a twisty hilly road, and the car seemed to float a bit it was scary, the suspension absorbs the shocks well and the ride was fairly quiet, it was a little scary on that roller coaster type of road; even my g/f commented it didn’t feel right.  There is a lot of body roll in the car.

Overall it is not a bad car, I didn’t expect a super luxury car but it was quiet and peppy, I was pleased with it.  The ergonomics of the pedals was bad and really my only gripe.

By here’s my surprise……….

So I got a price on the car to see how much this would cost me.  The car was a ZX3 SE with 5spd manual, A/C and power windows and mirrors.  No ABS, drum rear brakes :-( juts a basic car.  Total?  $21,600  Before taxes. So $22,000 after admin and air tax and gas tax and tire tax and whatever else tax they want to add.  

That’s A LOT for a basic car IMO.  For that kind of money there is this  
’05 Camry

Or this

’05 Impreza

Or even this!
05 Altima

There are just sooooo many better options for the money.    At 16k this car would be worth my time but at $22k, no way.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 10:44:59 am »
Nice review as always James. Would there be much of a price difference for a slightly used one, like one year old? Might make is seem like more of a better buy.

S60

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 10:46:49 am »
Well done Jamesbe, you sum up the ZX3 very good.
The floaty sensation comes from the lack of rear anti-roll bar(stabilizer). For some reason not offered on the ZX3.
The suspension set up is much better in the ZX5 SES, or the ZX4 ST variants. The ZX5 SES suspension set up is more like the euroFocus, and the ST has the sport suspension, includes higher spring rates, unique shock absorber valving, stiffer stabilizer bars, special bushings, disc brakes all around.Plus the ST sedan is the only model offered with the 2.3L engine.

Strange that Ford offers the more sporty set up in the sedan, instead of the hatch models.  

Agree with you on your comments on the obvious cheap bits found in the cabin. IMO this is were the domestic mfgs are just not getting the message.

I think if you had of driven the ZX5 SES or the ZX4 ST models, you would find a huge difference in the road manners.

Thanks for the review Jamesbe.

Sterling

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:50:13 am »
Decent review James. Except about the pricing. I doubt that many folks are paying MSRP for ZX3's these days. Plus there is currently $3800 in factory to dealer money to be had. I'd bet most people are buying that for pretty close to the 16K you find acceptable.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 12:37:22 pm »
Sterling, well I played dumb at the dealer, that was the quote I was given, no rebates nothing, if they really go for $16k I don't think the "average" buyer is getting that deal because they certainly didn't budge on price.

Barrie1

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 03:54:28 pm »
Excellent review as always Jamesbe. Thank You.

Sterling

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:53 pm »
I guess buyer is the operative word there. Your "quote" was the MSRP sticker. Perhaps the salesman had you pegged correctly as a non-buyer.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 04:23:52 pm »
Maybe, although I don't think so, but then the question is why would be not tell me about discounts if he was to offer them to me?  He did offer me a grad rebate.  Now if I head to another dealership and they are $4k less that would seem odd.

Who knows......

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 07:39:14 pm »
I had priced a ZX4 SE with air and convenience(cruise, p.windows) package. With all of the rebates applied and a bit of haggling, the price worked out to $16500.

But I really didn't like the interior either in quality or ergonomics. The clutch and shifter were very light and the throws on the shifter were long. The handling was ok but nothing special, quite soft. It really felt a generation older than the other cars in the segment. Which is too bad because the Mazda 3 is the segment leader as far as I was concerned.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Sterling

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 07:44:44 pm »
The numbers I mentioned are factory to dealer incentives. Maybe the salesperson doesn't even know about them. As you said, who knows?

Now, the ZX3 is the slowest selling model in the Focus line. I bet if you open a local paper you'll see prices thousands less than the MSRP. I don't think you'll find a Ford dealer in Canada holding out for MSRP on a ZX3.

And naturally, if you were actually in the market for this car you would've checked the prices in the paper and done some pricing research on sites like this one. And I'm sure if you had taken the negotiations beyond "what's your best price?", you probably would've gotten closer to what these are actually selling for.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 11:05:48 pm »
$20,000 for a winter beater!  Wow, how times have changed!!
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Mdxtasy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 01:00:01 am »
I was just going to say the same thing 84im....$20K gets you a pretty decent car....good enough for a primary car for many families.  Oh how the other half roams....

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 10:48:18 am »

That $20G 'winter beater' popped out at me too. I paid that for my 365-day-a-year car! Prices do go up with inflation tho

Was surprised James didn't like the handling. Didn't realize the Foci came with different suspensions (SVT/ST excluded) - thanks S60.

Good review. Can't understand why you didn't put down your deposit..
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 11:05:59 am »
Well "winter beater" sounds soooo dirty.  More like an everyday car.  I've been driving the subie to work everyday and well it's just damn drab.  I want something I can drive to work and not feel like I'm driving a junk pile.

Although now that' I fixed my rusty fenders, again, it's not as bad haha.

Barrie1

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 11:25:46 am »
To-days London Free Press has the ZX4 listed at $13,482 at a Dealership in Ingersol. These are 2005's with 00 milage on them. The options include 5 spd tranny,air,power doorlocks,remote entry,cd player and much more. The 2005 ZXW wagon with the same options is selling for $14,864. They have over 30 in stock ready to go. Thats got to be near the dealers price on these cars.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 11:32:13 am »
^^^ Now THAT is a great price.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 11:34:52 am »
Good review James. But I can't believe you can even buy a car from a big manufacturer without ABS?!?  Especially with Canadian weather...?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 02:34:08 pm »
Bah, Bob, whatcha worried about.  Back in my day, I drove a RWD car without ABS OR Traction control all year round.  We got more snow back then too.  Plus, I wore an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.  And that's the way we likes it!
(anyone got a picture of Grandpa Simpson?)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 02:42:04 pm »
^^^ that's what I do now with my 240. RWD no ABS, no traction control or any fancy gismos. Just lots of fun in the snow....assuming you know what you're doing

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 02:45:31 pm »

"Now where was I?  Oh yes, I was wearing an onion on my belt which was the style at the time..."