Author Topic: Acura TL Review  (Read 12717 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Acura TL Review
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:13:21 pm »
As requested by Shnak  I test drove an Acura TL today at the local Acura dealer.  In the showroom they had a nice pearl white with auto  and no navi screen, I took my pics of this car even though I drove a blue TL with Navi.

I arrived and it was a beautiful day, dry roads 0 degrees, I had my hopes up to drive a 6 speed manual, I asked but was told I could only drive the automatic :-( .  The salesman offered to drive a manual to my home when the weather got nicer, it was nice enough I though…. Anyway….

So first things first, the lighting on the white pearl was interesting, the bumpers did not look to be the same colour as the rest of the car, you could see more of a yellow tint to the bumpers, this could have just been the lighting but it really bothered me frontview

rearview  

Interior-Exterior Impressions  
The car is very sexy, Acura did a great job of making this car appeal to all ages in my opinion.  The interior has a nice aluminum finish with some texture.  And the door panels have something that looks like simulated carbon fiber door

interiorshot

A nice touch is that both the front and the rear have nice sill plates to remind you this is an upscale car as you enter it. frontentrance
 rearentrance

I wasn’t very impressed by the size of the rear seats, I sat back there with my girlfriend and we both commented it didn’t seem like sitting 5 people would be very comfortable, it’s more of a 4 seater (I don’t even remember seeing a third seat belt in the rear? The leg room was not very stellar either, my girlfriend noted that in the CTS with both her parents in the back seat there was plenty of room to slide around as I was driving.

And this one is for Shnak a very well thought out trunk
trunk  
look no “wire” hanging out in thin air.  Although the TL does not have hydraulic hinges to hold the trunk up.  One thing to note though is that the TL only has a sky pass through no folding rear seats, which really reduces cargo space, a big negative in my book.

Since this is my fifth review and having had a closer look at the other cars I was test driving I really started to get more picky with some of the fit and finish.  The TL interior feels really good, soft rubbers on the door sides, a little cubby that folds out at the bottom of the door and the trim pieces don’t feel like cheap hard plastic.  Thumbs up for Acura on the interior materials which are ages ahead of that in the CTS.

console

On the other hand the console was not as intuitive as it was on the CTS, I found that I had to hunt and peck to find dual zone climate control and a few of the radio controls, it was better laid out in the caddy.

Surprisingly I was a little disappointed in the bumper and trunk fitting on the TL, the bumpers didn’t line up perfectly and the trunk has a funky quarter inch seam between it and the body, probably design intent but usually they line up this was odd.

sidemarker  
Here’s another oddity, maybe a little too nit picky but I’m sure Audi doesn’t put “VW” on any of their parts, this sidemarket said “HONDA” on it.  I just thought it was a little funny.

The engine bay is VERY tidy indeed and all plastic to keep the engine looking like new for years  
engine
nothing really much to look at here.

Driving Impressions  

So unfortunately I test drove the automatic so I can’t compare as much as I wish I could but I will say the automatic transmission was smooth and quick to downshift when required during a highway merge.  The TL has 270hp and 238lb-ft/tq which is more than the 220/220 on the CTS and you could feel it, the TL felt very quick and the V6 had a nice exhaust note that was audible in the cabin, the CTS masks the exhaust almost completely.  

The brakes on the TL were VERY grabby, pretty must an instant grab which is a very sporty type feel, I was a little surprised for a luxury type vehicle to have such a quick pedal to grab.  The throttle response on the TL is very quick nothing out of the ordinary here.

The steering was sharper and more firm than that on the CTS, I believe the CTS I drove had the speed sensitive steering option which made it VERY light at slow speeds, the TL seemed to be the same all the time, I didn’t drive this car nearly as long as I did the CTS therefore not getting as much of a feel for turning radius and such but it did feel like it would be longer, and the car felt bigger than the CTS as I was driving it down the road, this may have had to do with the front wheels driving the car.  The LSD did do it’s job well on the car, I never felt any torque steer, but I didn’t hammer the car around either.

After merging on the highway we noticed immediately the car was not as quiet as the CTS, there was wind noise coming from the passenger’s side door, we tried lowering and raising the window to no avail, this was a big negative!  Riding along carling avenue, we both felt the bumps and jarring of the suspension was not absorbed well enough for the type of vehicle, I was expected a softer ride, the TL really had a harsh ride, remember I even drove the sports suspension version of the CTS, my girlfriend even complained about the ride and we are use to my crappy impreza!!  I also noticed some sounds coming from some of the interior plastics as we hit these bumps.
The drivers seat was very comfortable and I as happy, my girlfriend on the other hand was not, her seat had only 4 way adjustments rather than the 8 way I had.  The Caddy had 8 way on both sides, she has been spoiled and was not comfortable and complained about the seats not having up/down adjustment like the Caddys.  We also noticed the heated seats didn’t seem to warm you very much at all.

We played with the DVD-Audio system and it sounded very nice, MUCH nicer than the radio in the CTS, the CTS has a subwoofer but it was horribly underpowered and at any volume the speakers distorted.  The TL had a VERY nice sound system that would be enjoyed with any type of music, and the DTS surround is a nice touch.  We also played around a bit with the GPS and it was quick to engage and fairly easy to use, considering I turned it on and played with it while driving :-)   I liked the big display much more so than the display on my Garmin, but for the $4000 price tag it BETTER be good

Overall Impressions

Well I suppose it’s fairly obvious from the tone of my review (and I didn’t right this immediately after getting home, I let everything sink in).  The TL didn’t impress me all that much.  The CTS was a much quieter and more luxurious car.  The TL did impress me with the interior styling and I usually value that quite heavily, but the ergonomics of the dash didn’t turn me on very much.  The ride was pretty harsh for this type of vehicle, it wasn’t quiet on the highway at all it was average at best.  

Mostly I was surprised at how I WASN’T totally impressed by this car.  On the surface it looks great, but after the drive I was a little under whelmed.  Maybe the CTS spoiled me?  A few weeks ago I certainly would NOT have recommended the CTS over the TL, but depending on ones priorities I would now.  If you are looking for a quiet ride with good performance the Cadillac is a great value.  The TL has great interior styling a very powerful engine and Honda reliability (assumed) but it is more of a sporty type ride which I expect from something like the TSX but not the TL. This makes me wonder what the RL is like while driving.

Speaking of the RL, I sat inside the RL after being in the TL for a length of time and the RL does have a nicer interior, I agree the one at the autoshow was iffy, but the one at the dealer was much better.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Acura TL Review
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 09:25:30 pm »
Nicely done, James.

I will agree with your statement that you seem less than entralled with this vehicle.  Your notes on the CTS were far more glowing and spontaneous, while this review gave me the impression that you were trying really hard to find something nice to say.  Language is a powerful thing.

The noise on the highway would be enough to drive me crazy, too.  My car's nowhere near the same class as the TL, but when the windows slam shut, there's no wind noise.

This is so much fun.  I'm enjoying living vicariously through your experiences, knowing that you're not be paid to give glowing reviews.

Barrie1

Acura TL Review
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 09:32:14 pm »
Well done Jamesbe, another fine review. I personally figured the CTS would be a better car but they are really in 2 different catagories. The CTS is a real luxury car and the Honda products are not. They build a decent car but I'll keep driving my Caddies as I know quality when I drive it.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Acura TL Review
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:45:19 pm »
Well done James... that's how a trunk should be made! I'm quite surprised to learn that the TL doesn't have rear folding seats... quite a big omission... sportier suspension and direction compared to the CTS doesn't surprise me at all... and the wind noise isn't very surprising since all the Honda vehicles I drove are like that... although I agree with you that a near-luxury vehicle like the TL should be much quieter than a Civic.

It is quite inexplicable that the front passenger seat doesn't have up/down adjuster...

Did the TL (or CTS) have adjustable lumbar support? That is one feature I'll never go without...

When I sat in the TL at the Montreal Auto Show, I wasn't overly impressed by it... especially the rear seats... it felt much smaller than an Accord. But I do love its exterior look, very classy and sporty looking at the same time.

Great job James, keep it up! Maybe a Volvo or Audi now?

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Acura TL Review
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 11:24:56 pm »
Another fine review Jamesbe! I have found the Acura line to be more sport focused than Luxurious thus the stiffer suspensions and tight driving dynamics. I would have hoped the TL would have been better isolated from wind and road noise considering it's price.
I wonder if they would let you test an RL?
The only draw back I see with the CTS is that you said it sucked when the roads got slippery. Perhaps an all wheel drive CTS would be an ideal canadian luxury car.

Anyway good work. Of course we are going to expect these reviews every Saturday.

Barrie1

Acura TL Review
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 12:17:43 am »
A set of Snowtires and a bit of weight might be the answer as well without the 4 whl drive.

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Acura TL Review
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 01:02:56 am »
On a side note.

I think a lot of parts in an Audi say VW on it. I know a ton of parts in my golf say audi/vw on it with the 4 ring symbol to boot! :-)

Crolly

Acura TL Review
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 02:09:32 am »
Great review Jamesbe!

I echo Bridge's comment.  Since this review is "pro bono", unlike those reviewers who get paid to rave, credibility is well maintained.

HERE'S A TOAST TO OUR RESIDENT AUTO REVIEWER!... May you have more fun doing the reviews, which also means more stuff for us to read... hik!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Acura TL Review
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 06:45:44 am »
I had a 92 Legend that was a great driving car and I enjoyed it for that purpose.

However it too had it's faults and the one you mentioned JB about the soft rubber on the door sides brought to mind that mine kept 'wearing out'. Because the seat was set back so far, because I'm tall, you brush up against that door molding and it soon started to tear.

I went through three sets and the last one they said would be it for warranty - two years into the car and two to go.

Of the three that Honda has, TSX, TL and RL, I like the looks of the TL best and it looks both sporty and kinda tough. The back seat comments though remind you of it's heritage and disappoints.

I notice you didn't mention any sideway moments  so maybe the torque steer that was prominent has been tamed or maybe because of the automatic you don't notice it as much.

Good report JB - not as in depth and I take that as a sign of not being involved with it the way the Caddy evoked different responses.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
Acura TL Review
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 06:46:35 am »
Nice review James, I love the look of that car!

Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't they let you drive the manual version just because of the weather? You'd think that if they wanted to sell the car they'd let you test whatever you wanted! Don't they have car jockeys to clean them up afterwards???

Or maybe he knew you were a up-and-coming Jim Kenzie and weren't going to buy anything....
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Acura TL Review
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 06:50:05 am »
Yeah, James... great work again. Gettin spoilt us all. Good camera work too! I wonder how close the TL is to the Accord. If it is close, the dynamics would be more sporty than a true RWD luxury sedan. Now that you've done two luxury sedans back to back, may I suggest an S-class or a 7-series??

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Acura TL Review
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 08:39:24 am »
Yup, well done James. I too like the look of the TL, especially the front. Maybe I missed it, but did the salesman/woman go with you for the test drive? If they didnt, maybe they would've let you take a 6 speed out if they knew they were able to keep an eye on you

P.S I am still waiting for my Volvo S60 or V70 R review

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Acura TL Review
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 09:30:16 am »
The salesman went with me, they were afraid of the 6speed because it has summer tires.  Although I don't think there would have been an issue since it was 0 and dry outside.

The TL and CTS have lumbar on the driver seat, the CTS had it on the passenger as well I believe.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Acura TL Review
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 09:36:04 am »
Is it possible that Acura didn't go all the way in the features for the TL because they didn't want it to interfere with their upcoming RL? Maybe they wanted the TL to feel sportier than the RL, so that both cars are differientate...

Btw, I saw an RL on the streets the other day, it looks 10x better on the streets than in a showroom! It looks more classy, imposing. You just know it is an expensive vehilcle!

So James, what's the next review? Like bullit, I'd like to read about a Volvo S60...

Robarakira

Acura TL Review
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 01:06:40 pm »
Nice review James.  Apparently the reason about the lack of complete folding rear seats is due to the rear strut bars, though not visible.  Acura took the handling to be more important than folding down the seats on this one. (not as with the TSX)  If you look at the engine picture, you will see the massive front strut bar btw.  I don't hear any wind noise in the TL.  Did I mention the new family car?
Picking up @ dealer
auto-navi.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Acura TL Review
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 01:16:16 pm »
Yes I forgot to point out, in the engine picture you can see a HUGE front strut bar.  I don't buy why Acura would make the TL to have no folding seats to make it handle better, it's a luxury car it's not a sports car and the small bit of stiffness loss I don't think would make that much of a difference.  The CTS had folding seats but also a stiff surround around the back, it wasn't a completely fold flat system like say the TSX or Mazda 6, it had support for handling as well.

S60

Acura TL Review
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 01:27:48 pm »
Well done Jamesbe, your reviews make for a good Sunday afternoon read.
What's up for next week?

Bladerunner

Acura TL Review
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 01:57:13 pm »
Maybe the Acura engineers just forgot about the folding seat thing. It happens dude. Great review, I expected more from the new TL since it competes with the BMW 330 and the hot Infiniti G35. Curious to see if you'll do a review of the new IS 300 when it comes out?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Acura TL Review
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 04:02:15 pm »
Another great review JB!

The brakes on my girlfriends car (TSX?) can be a bit grabby, sometimes feels as if you're "driving by wire". I wish they would engineer some old fashioned feel into anything they servo-assist these days...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Acura TL Review
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 06:47:18 pm »
Dems da breaks!! deez days Grabby....get yer paws off MY Lotus..not fond of feeling old engineers maself..but I hear it gets lonely on the MOORS this time of year....!!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once