Author Topic: Another Saturday Test Drive (Review!)  (Read 41160 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Another Saturday Test Drive (Review!)
« on: March 06, 2005, 06:42:26 pm »
Except this one went on until Sunday and Monday :-)  

This one is for Barrie :-)

I’m normally not much of a GM enthusiast, there are not very many products GM that I would consider buying at the current point in time, but I was looking at their depreciation and thought it might be a good idea to check out some of the hits I was getting on the autotrader.

Saturday afternoon, I pulled into the dealership to check out a car most would agree a 26 year old shouldn’t even consider. It has a very fancy logo on the front end.  
logocaddy

Yes that’s right a Caddy!  Before you get TOO excited, it has one of these logos on the back end logoCTS, so no not the “V”.

This particular beauty came with every option, A/C, heated leather seats, HIDs, power everything, sun roof, sunroof on-star, integrated telephone (voice operated), programmable driver positions, auto dimming mirror, bose upgraded stereo with 6 disc CD changer, wood accents, alloy wheels rim, upgraded sports suspension and of course a 3.2L 220Hp V6 matted to an Aisin MANUAL transmission, that’s right MANUAL!

I was asked if I would like to take her for the weekend, how could I refuse?  I added a nice 300+km to the odometer which leads to a LONG review of this vehicle.

So here she is frontpose, a beautiful maroon coloured 2003 Cadillac CTS with 18800Km on the clock.  Asking price? $30,998.  Originally selling price? EST $55k+

With a beautiful rear as well  
rearpose  
and her hips are too shabby either  
sideprofile

First impression are always important and this car has an different grill, all chrome, with a less flashy caddy logo, I like it. grill So I stepped into the car at the dealership and was very impressed.  Nice leather, every option known to man, nice comfy feeling seats, I was impressed from the get go.

Interior
DriverInterior
So the interior is a tad bland, since everything is grey but it isn’t too bad, this coming from an interior whore.  Driver controls are well laid out, Power mirrors, auto up and down for front passengers, rear passenger auto-down, lock out and driver 1 and driver 2 pre-sets for seating and mirror positions. driverdoor  

interiorside

The steering wheel is a nice size, not too large and not too small, perfect for this type of vehicle and well positioned.  It has manual tilt but no telescoping, usually I don’t require either, but with the 8 way adjustable seats that moved in what seemed every possible direction I was hoping for a telescoping as my comfy driving position was a big too far from the wheel, I later adjusted the seats a million more times and found something was great for highway cruising and a flick of a switch brought me a tad closer for more concentrated driving maneuvers.    
interiorstraight  The steering wheel also contains cruise control, on-star, volume, and buttons 1-4 which I’m not sure of the use.  The volume control is particularly nicely done as it is a round rotating knob for easy quick up and down changes.

The dash is a little bit on the hard plastic side, dash for $55k or $60k I would not be happy with this, as a used car for $30k, I have no issues.  The buttons were a tad far reaching, but were intuitive even with many options.  Options include, a trip computer, digital clock, fuel tracking computer, temperature readout, dual zone auto climate control, heated seats, which by the way are GLORIOUS, and I’m sure many other things I am forgetting….. oh yes the memo recorder built into the sun visor voicerecorder

The instrument cluster is very nice and lights up with a orange hue at night, very soft on the eyes and very clearly read with or without my glasses.
cluster The cluster contains a speedometer  
speedometer
and tachometer revcounter
as well as fuel gauge and analog clock.  The speedometer needle moves from MPH to KM/H when the units are changed on the man centre dash control, it’s a very slick system that had me smiling on my drive.

Other interior appointments?  Well rear seats that sit 5 fairly comfortably, 60/40 split  
{6040split
and centre armrest with 2 cup holders that are held on with Velcro that seem to fall down every time you flip the armrest down.  
backseat

Under the hood  
hoodopen  
a nice V6 with the Caddy logo on the top  
engine.

Trunk size, nice and large, big enough for a months vacation or more after be used to an S2000 sized trunk! trunkclose  Large enough in fact to fit 2 sit tables and a dresser from Ikea

The DRIVE!

So finally the drive!  Well I drove the car over 300 kilometers so far, I will be returning after work tomorrow so I got a few more minutes of seat time left as I post this.  We drove out of the dealership lot, and we were on fumes, so my first order of business was to fuel up, I didn’t want to fill it and waste the gas, so I put $20 in of premium and was hoping I could make it a long distance on the fuel.  

Being use to Japanese cars I started looking for the fuel door release, I sat in the gas station lot for a good 3-5 minutes trying to find the darn thing.  I asked my girlfriend to look to make sure it wasn’t a manually operated one, she said nope, no thumb thing. gastank, so how the heck do I open this thing????  I couldn’t find a lever anywhere, so I got out of the car and pushed it in, hahahahaha, good ‘ol GM manual release hidden with no thumb pull.  Alright put some 91 in her and lets get rolling.

The CTS drives REALLY nice, I was impressed.  Clutch is a tad on the soft side, but good pedal feel as I never stalled it and never had to over rev to get the car moving.  The gas pedal is drive by-wire and unlike the Mercedes I drove last weekend it had no delay.  In fact I did not realize it was drive-by-wire until I set the cruise on the highway and the pedal was not pulled away from my foot as I expected.  

The brakes are nice and linear and have good grab, I had confidence in them fully, although I never pulled any crazy hard stops the car seemed surefooted and didn’t get wiggly or light under moderate/hard braking.

The shifter has medium to long throws, no snick snick here, but I wasn’t turned off, the throws are very reasonable, less so than say the Hyundai Tiburon or Toyota Echo with their tractor trailer long throws.  The one complaint I had about the transmission was reverse, it didn’t seem to have a distinct enough gate, I could not feel if the car was in reverse or not, although I never missed I was always second guessing myself.

The ride quality is like none I have ever experienced, the G35 I guess was close but the G35 is more of a sporty rough ride with luxury intensions.   The CTS attempts a similar cross breed ride with a luxury flare.  Bumps are soaked up nicely but not to the point that the car rides on air for days after you hit it, it settles quickly.  As a result sharp hard bumps are still very noticeable, but as a contrast handling does not suffer.  GM has done a great job with this suspension.  Which cruising on the highway for 2 hours, my girlfriend fell asleep, highway noise was NILL, no engine noise, and BARELY audible road noise, I was starting to really enjoy this car. The heated seats and climate control give you the ultimate highway cruising ride, the seats were by far the most comfortable I have ever used because of their adjustability.  

Handling isn’t S2000 quality but I was impressed, the car will easily out handle my impreza (probably not so much of a compliment but anyway), as a daily driver it is very capable.  The traction control is unobtrusive, taking a off-ramp and a good clip I floor the car and felt ice beneath, riding on only all-season tires without traction control I may have been in the ditch, but the car handled all without drama and nicely displayed on the screen that traction control was engaged.  The steering wheel is nice and weighty on the highway and not too bad in city driving.  On the other hand when parking the car the wheel turns into a ultra light wheel that can be turned 2.5 times with a flick of a finger.  I backed into a small tight area at Ikea and was impressed by the turning radius and ease of maneuvering at slow speeds.  You have to remember this vehicle is very large compared to what I normally drive, but it doesn’t feel so, when tooling around.

Acceleration in the CTS is brisk, from what I gather 0-60 time in the 7.5second range.  It seems to be a bit slow off the line, at around 3000rpm it comes to life and roars, and it FEELS super quick which is sometimes enough :-).  

I was also impressed by the gas mileage, I averaged 8.4L/100Km on my trip, there was about 100km in town driving.  The computer displays instantaneous gas mileage as well as average.  Acceleration under normal conditions sucks back the gas at a rate of 17-20L/100km, but as you level off to a cruising speed of 60km/h you average 5-7L/100km in 5th gear.  Highway speeds of 110km/h come at the 3000rpm range and get you about 8L/100km on flat and 9L/100km uphill.

Conclusions
WOW  I was really impressed from the second I stepped foot into the car, so much so it is going to be VERY VERY VERY hard to let it go tomorrow afternoon.  I will be sad to let it go.  I have been trying to rationalize in my head buying the car to replace my impreza now, this car might be gone next year when I may actually be in the market for it. :-(   The car is a dream and at $30k an amazing bargain.  It would require RWD as after some snow today traction control was working overtime with the all-season tread, I tried some tail out driving in a snowy parking lot and it turned into just slide sideways with no control at all.  I’ll say it again WOW, I will admit it this car is a gem.

(Message edited by jamesbe on March 06, 2005)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 06:55:33 pm »
James, I am utterly impressed with your open mind, your flexibility and wonderful sense of observation.  I could read your man-on-the-street reviews over and over again.  NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would I have ever thought you would consider this car, which makes your post even that more interesting.

You gave credit where credit was due.  Great job.

Brigitte

(Message edited by brigitte on March 06, 2005)

Offline BlackS40

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Körglädjen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 07:04:23 pm »
Jamesbe....I think you are my favourite automobile reviewer of all time!!!    Man, what an impressive read.  Thanks muchly for this!!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 07:16:46 pm »
Great job, James, excellant write up and tons of pix - awesome work. Five stars is not enough.  

It seems to me that is a good price on what appears to be a next-to-new car. Maybe the standard shift in a Caddy of any model makes it harder to sell? Didn't the odo show 11865 MILES so I assume it's a digital odo that you can switch from kms to miles? Wish I were in the market for such a vehicle as it would be hard to resist.  

Thanks again for your efforts in putting the report here for us.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 07:17:13 pm »
A big fiver for James. I would have never considered a CTS for a car….. but after reading your post James I must say my eyes have opened. Excellent work.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 07:30:27 pm »
Jamesbe your review posts are the best. I have also thought about taking a cts for a test drive. Thanks for taking the time to upload pictures.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 07:30:29 pm »
too bad its not a hatch

Barrie1

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 07:33:24 pm »
I agree, Thank You Jamesbe for the report. I have known for years just how good the Caddi's are but they can only get better. The CTS-V has to a Real Blast with 400HP and all the luxury Toys to go with it.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 07:36:01 pm »
Thanks James.
The GF sounds like a keeper.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 09:20:30 pm »
I loved those pictures of the snow....reminds me why I live on the Wet coast.
Great review.  Oh, by the way....went for a run today....tee-shirt and shorts....trying out my new Shure E3 earbuds....now if they would just send me my Ipod shuffle!
Ron
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 09:20:58 pm »
Nice review
Why did you put 91 in the tank, unleaded regular is the recommended fuel
If only it came in a ragtop

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 09:29:21 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words folks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I have another funny story I forgot to post.  I turned the phone on and a voice said "Number please"  I said, "cancel" it said "Sorry please repeat", I said "cancel", it said, "please repeat" , I said cancel "It said, 8?"  Oh gawd I was laughing so hard, I remember the top gear episode when Clarkson did the same with the merc.

Airbalancer: The salesman told me premium, I looked it up on the net and all references actually did point to premium recommended.  I put another $4 in after as regular, since the price jumped 10 cents a litre!

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 09:44:59 pm »
Yes great post indeed! Now we all understand better this forum wise man who likes so much the Caddi!

Forget about the impreza and go for that beauty!

Barrie1

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 10:19:13 pm »
Jamesbe you deserve this car. It has you written all over it. I believe that is the Crimson Pearl colour paint on the car which is a approx $800. option for it. Sure is a beautiful vehicle.

Roadrunner

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 10:51:26 pm »
James! I am greatly impressed with that write up and pix! Super job reviewing a super automobile.
Like Ovr said five stars isn't enough. Please accept five more from me.

Roadrunner

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 10:55:15 pm »
Barrie,
That caddy would be quite an addition to your stable wouldn't it?

Barrie1

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 11:05:02 pm »
Yes as I am getting ready to move one of them out this year. I want the V8 model tho as you can never have too much HP. They certainly are a real Sweet Ride.

Saint11

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2005, 11:07:06 pm »
can u test drive a car every week? its an interesting read for all of us

Barrie1

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2005, 11:22:59 pm »
Thats what he has been doing lately, having Fun doing just that.

Saint11

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 03:25:54 am »
yeh im jealous. if i ever tried to ask a gm salesman to take a cts for a weekend he wuda told me to go testdrive a cavalier instead