Author Topic: Apa.ca or carcostcanada.com, which one to use?  (Read 8282 times)

Sleepaholic

Apa.ca or carcostcanada.com, which one to use?
« on: February 15, 2005, 02:48:49 pm »
I'm thinking of joining one of these services to obtain dealer invoices and speical pricing; (they claim deals $500 above invoice!).  Any experience with either of them?  Is there one better than the other?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:59:32 pm »
Was my impression CCC was a service that let you know what dealer invoice pricing is, whereas the APA works with specific dealerships to actually get you an agreed reduced price that is marginally above dealer invoice. APA can also give you pricing alone as well.

Depends what you're looking for. I would imagine the APA would provide a more positive buying experience (as if the dealer wants more referrals in the future from the APA, he'll treat you kindly) whereas if you like driving the very best bar-goon all by yourself and enjoy negotiation, you may be more the CCC type.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Barrie1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 09:09:24 pm »
Sleepaholic Welcome to the Forum. As a Suggestion pick out a few of the Cars you are looking at and ask for prices here politely. Save the Money on the service until the info runs out here. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 09:09:39 pm »
I paid 25 bucks once for an APA dealer invoice on a car.  The APA doesn't work with the buyer of it's service, but rather supplies names of dealers that will honour their invoices.  Other dealers know this so that is the leverage a buyer may or may not use in getting a good dealer from a non recommended dealer.

Either one is money well spent.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 10:45:15 am »
I just bought an APA membership to get invoice costs and quotes on the two cars I'm investigating.  The guy on the phone was really nice, and gave me all the info I was after.  That said, I figure I'll only be saving another hundred or so from the prices I had already obtained, but it's nice to know I'm not getting worked over, and basically, it payed for itself in one day.  And if I or my extended family need to look for another car this year, I have two more invoice prices I can look up.  Absolutely worth it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 11:24:06 am »
Tell ME again WHY we have to PAY for this INFORMATION????????..is it 'Classified" by the F.B.I.????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Eugened

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 01:29:54 pm »
if you need Sienna or Odyssey current dealer  invoices I can post it for you. I just paid to CCC for that.
Anybody had experience buying a new car through cars4u?

Sleepaholic

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 04:56:43 pm »
I'm actually looking to buy a 2005 Volvo s40.
I called both places for information regarding their serviecs and this is what I got.

APA:
Nice guy answered the phone, answered all my questions, stated there's a price fixing scheme going on with all the volvo dealerships in toronto, so they're not selling for less than 2% off MSRP, but he had a hookup with a dealer in Newmarket if I wanted to buy now.  This scheme is actually going on at many companies right now, but he said it wouldn't last.  He added the he figured in a few months things would change in order to boost sales in the spring.  he explained further that the apa is a non-profit group working to help us, the comsumer with all car related questions, not just new car buying.  They can assist with used car buying, consumer reports for things like winter tires, etc.  Very helpful.  Said that apa is full service, whereas CCC was just for new car price quotes.  Also stated that the $65 annual fee covered 4 invoice quotes with buying service, not 2, as listed on their website.

Carcostcanada.
called the number listed and it was a general number for a few companys.  Pressed various buttons on the phone, finally got through to CCC.  Lady was nice on the phone, claimed she never heard of the apa(a little hard to believe. "who are they?  what do they do?).  explained $39 fee you get 5 quotes for new car prices(invoice) and if there was a participating dealer, a special buying referal service.

Bottom line.  It looks like CCC is a no-frills kind of place, where apa is more a informative package when it comes to car buying and owning.

Still unsure who to try out, but for 39 or 65 bucks, you really can't go wrong for the amount you could be saving.

Eugened

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 06:03:14 pm »
I tried CCC and I am satisfied . It looks like I hit the bottom negotiating the price.
Frankly I was not sure there is no manufacturer's incentives at the time for those cars , but it looks like they are right.
I think those $40 are well worth it

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 09:26:13 pm »
I used APA to buy my 1997 Ford F150.  They put me in touch with a 'middle man' on the West Coast, and I got the vehicle for under dealer cost (through fleet sales, but the dealer still gets buy-back money).  The dealer made a few bucks, got another sale, and I got a good deal.  I was happy with APA.  Unfortunately, don't expect these good deals on imports vehicles.
Ron
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Shol

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 02:55:31 pm »
I am an apa member, and will tell you that you can still save up pretty good on imports. When I say pretty good, I am referring to 1000 or so off of what you might expect to pay without it....

I also like the idea of not having some sales guy throw a ton of numbers at me, and knowing how much I am going to pay before hand.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 03:54:06 pm »
Well, I just finished a whirlwind buying experience.  I actually managed to do better than the APA number, but by little more than $100.  It certainly wasn't worth my time and effort.  In the future, I'm just going to go with the deal they give me.

Bigjoey

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 03:11:45 am »
Eugened, I am looking to buy a Sienna or an Odyssey.  It would be nice if you can post your Sienna & Odyssey dealer invoices.  So, have you decided which one to buy yet?  How much did you end up paying?

I am located in Vancouver, BC.  You?

Eugened

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 08:38:57 am »
I answered in a private message. If anybody want to see that info again , just send me a private message

Happygolucky

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 08:55:14 am »
I tried the APA buying service.  I got a quote with the dealer invoice.  After speaking with the broker I felt I could do better.  So I tried my local dealer with a 'no haggle' price.  If he met the price I told him I would come down and give him the deposit.  As it turned out I was able to get my car $700 less than what I would have paid if I went through the APA buying service.  

I'm not knocking the APA buying service.  Had I not got the dealer invoice I would not have known where to start.  With the dealer invoice and knowing that I could get the car for a reasonable discount I thought what the heck.  It was good to be in a position of power with the salesperson.  He knew he had an immediate sale as long as he met my price.  I really had nothing to lose.

I would do the same for the next car I buy.  That is get the dealer invoice and APA buying price and negotiate from there.

HappyGoLucky

Ndamro

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 12:49:02 pm »
Does anyone know if the APA is useful for dealerships like Toyoya with their Access Pricing?  I'm looking at buying a Rav4 and want to know if it would be worth the $65.

Thanks!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 01:41:34 pm »
Yes, to Happygolucky.  I would only recommend getting the APA cost sheet for $25.00 bucks and then go out there and get stern with the dealers and lie and tell them you have an APA deal at the ready, but what can they offer you instead.  I just handed them the APA printout and said that is what I am willing to pay or I'm gone.  It saves a lot of useless arguing.

Eugened

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 02:46:36 pm »
For those who live in Ontario especially close to Toronto and buying a new car I would recommend to try cars4u.com.
They gave me a very aggressive quote that I used as a bargaining chip haggling with a dealer. In fact I would've gone through them as I generally very supportive of buying a new car at Internet dealership (I did some research in the newsgroups, contacted a couple of people who bought cars through them and they were satisfied with cars4u), but then I had to go to Toronto to pick the car up. As far as a local dealer was willing to give me the same price I decided to buy it locally.  
I didn't buy APA service but if I did I would've tried to get a best offer from more than one dealership with APA price as a starting point. You don't have to come there for that. Emails/faxes might work too.

Sterling

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 10:19:11 pm »
The APA prices are nothing particularly special. They are just a lead provider for the dealerships that pay APA to be a member. CarCost Canada works the same way - if the dealership pays for the service, CCC will send them leads.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 10:26:30 am »
Sterling; There are two services you can get from the APA.

1.  Assistance in buying a car from a dealer: $69.,
or
2.  Getting actual dealer costs on the car, freight, PDI, administration fee: $25.

For 25 bucks you get a document that lists the dealer invoice, what APA recommends you pay over that price, PDI costs and what use should actually pay and adm fee which APA recommends not to pay.  The document does not include factory to dealer discounts.

Basically you are provided with a document you can shove at a salesman and say here is what I am willing to pay and these are the reasons why. If you don't agree then show me your own figures otherwise I am out of here on to the next dealer.

For folks that are bad at bickering for 8 hours or simply don't have the time it is good.

So again, the APA $25.00 service does not put you in touch with a dealer.  It is just a cost guideline you can show any dealer.