Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3055183 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #14720 on: December 29, 2023, 01:40:55 pm »
Still don't understand how this is a "truck"  ???

What's your definition? BOF?

Nah, I was thinking more about picking up a yard or two of mulch or topsoil at the garden centre or moving a bedroom set......you know, truck stuff.

I think you could still do that.  The tonneau cover rolls up to the top, and the tailgate drops....

No reason it couldn't do truck stuff.  At least, not any less than any of the other overpriced, crew-cab luxury trucks like the F150 Platinum and Ram Limited.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14721 on: December 29, 2023, 01:52:30 pm »

Nah, I was thinking more about picking up a yard or two of mulch or topsoil at the garden centre or moving a bedroom set......you know, truck stuff.

I think you could still do that.  The tonneau cover rolls up to the top, and the tailgate drops....

No reason it couldn't do truck stuff.  At least, not any less than any of the other overpriced, crew-cab luxury trucks like the F150 Platinum and Ram Limited.

The bed is actually longer than the typical crew cab/5.5' combo that most trucks have.

The shape of the sides would compromise usability somewhat though.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14722 on: December 29, 2023, 02:35:30 pm »

The bed is actually longer than the typical crew cab/5.5' combo that most trucks have.

Really?  In what way?  Perhaps if the intent is to put a truck bed camper in it, or one of those fiberglass workmen toppers.  But that's not really what this truck is for.  The shape of the sides shouldn't prevent anyone from hand bombing sod into the back (you do that from the tailgate anyway), or loading then unloading mulch, etc. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14723 on: December 29, 2023, 03:50:32 pm »
It's really strange looking but I think it is a truck with a tonneau

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14724 on: December 29, 2023, 06:00:13 pm »
What I'm more interested in is its range when towing a typical load that most luxury truck owners would pull - a medium sized camper, twin snowmobile trailer, or a decent-sized boat like what AS has.  Does it have enough range to get to the lake and back?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14725 on: December 29, 2023, 06:11:55 pm »

Really?  In what way?  Perhaps if the intent is to put a truck bed camper in it, or one of those fiberglass workmen toppers.  But that's not really what this truck is for.  The shape of the sides shouldn't prevent anyone from hand bombing sod into the back (you do that from the tailgate anyway), or loading then unloading mulch, etc.

The shape of the box side makes it essentially impossible to reach over and grab something, especially near the front of the box where it’s at the roofline. This is a pet peeve of mine with newer trucks where the box height is so high you have to jump into the box from the tailgate to grab something.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14726 on: January 05, 2024, 04:41:27 pm »
Got our first snowfall in about 2 months today, maybe 5 cm. Roads were mayhem. Saw a small Hyundai CUV (probably a Tucson) and a Doge Caravan being loaded onto separate flat decks after a collision. The front passenger side of the Hyundai was obliterated and the Caravan was burnt to a crisp, nothing but a shell left. We drove the same route 1.5hrs previous so the fire was recent. Apparently even if a Hyundai touches another vehicle it can start on fire.

Jokes aside, the snow is nice but drivers seem to be on one end of the spectrum or the other. Either driving carelessly, or being overly cautious delaying traffic movement.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 04:43:40 pm by bridgecity »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #14727 on: January 09, 2024, 04:12:22 pm »
Not on the way to work but these are cars I spotted at ports of call while on a Mediterranean cruise. A couple of old classics and a couple micro electrics.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14728 on: January 10, 2024, 08:42:56 am »
Spotted my first Canuck-made BrightDrop Zevo 600 van this morning in my 'burb. It was in the colours of a local electric contractor, for the full concept effect!

Pics cropped from their fb page:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14729 on: January 10, 2024, 08:58:47 am »
Spotted my first Canuck-made BrightDrop Zevo 600 van this morning in my 'burb. It was in the colours of a local electric contractor, for the full concept effect!

Perfect use case for a commercial EV.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14730 on: January 10, 2024, 12:52:17 pm »

Pics cropped from their fb page:

Looks like a $200+/hour rate.. ;D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #14731 on: January 12, 2024, 07:43:34 am »
F Body doing daily duties parked in GO station…why the F is my Cayman in the garage…
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14732 on: January 12, 2024, 10:36:55 am »
F Body doing daily duties parked in GO station…why the F is my Cayman in the garage…
Good question! :think:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14733 on: January 12, 2024, 11:29:49 am »

I'm seeing a few late-model Mustangs on snow tires around here, oddly enough all convertibles. More funny: about 80% of Wranglers appear to be stored for winter  :rofl2:

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14734 on: January 12, 2024, 01:14:30 pm »

I'm seeing a few late-model Mustangs on snow tires around here, oddly enough all convertibles. More funny: about 80% of Wranglers appear to be stored for winter  :rofl2:

:D  Can see it though. In the city with patchy snow and ice old school 4WD is a bit of a pain. Leave it in 4Hi and you can't go around a dry corner, leave it in 2WD and spin like a Mustang at an icy intersection

Online valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14735 on: January 12, 2024, 01:38:45 pm »

:D  Can see it though. In the city with patchy snow and ice old school 4WD is a bit of a pain. Leave it in 4Hi and you can't go around a dry corner, leave it in 2WD and spin like a Mustang at an icy intersection

I also know people who buy Wranglers to be their "winter vehicle" and they store a nice car, often AWD, for the winter.  Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14736 on: January 12, 2024, 01:51:58 pm »

97 base bird, 3.8L, so it'll run forever and get great mileage. Mrs. firm DD'd ours, same spec, from 2007-2018. Good winters (Pirelli 210s, then Blizzaks) and some decent driving and it was a fantastic year round DD.
Cool to see someone still using theirs like that, old plate too so it's likely a long term owner.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: January 12, 2024, 01:52:02 pm »

I also know people who buy Wranglers to be their "winter vehicle" and they store a nice car, often AWD, for the winter.  Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

A lot of people here treat Wranglers as summer convertibles. Always with doors/roof off, always impeccably clean, and most of them 4xe's.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: January 12, 2024, 05:04:11 pm »
Saw an Ineos Grenadier in Calgary last week. Had no idea they were sold here.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #14739 on: January 13, 2024, 08:29:32 am »

Jeeps nowadays have a 4Hi Auto setting and that can be used when road conditions are patchy. As far as I know Toyota still does not provide a 4Hi Auto setting on their traditional body on frame Sequoia and Tundra. The Landcruiser and Lexus LX and new GX have full time 4WD. But these 4Hi Auto settings use a clutch pack and indiscriminate use of the setting can cause premature failure of the clutch pack something I am mindful of in my Yukon.