Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3055485 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #14560 on: August 11, 2023, 10:22:15 am »
A Grand Highlander tonight. In white. Could barely made out what it was due to weird badging but the car looked great.

I saw one too last night, in navy blue, but it had to be a super base model. Looked extremely "normy" and bland to me.

"Cheap fabric and dim lighting, that's how you move merchandise"  ;D

I think plain and boxy work for a large SUV and IMO it did even better for this GH than say the VW Atlas, it looked taller and squarer.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14561 on: August 11, 2023, 11:45:32 am »

This Rover TC 2000 is a rare car to see at all never mind street parked. That said there was a dark red one parked in a driveway across the street. Likely the same owner.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14562 on: August 23, 2023, 08:59:54 am »
Driving to work yesterday I followed a Malibu Maxx for a bit, and coming back I came accross my first Ioniq 6 in my 'hood, a base model like the one below. It's like 60 years separate these two!

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14563 on: August 23, 2023, 10:08:17 am »
When we were in Quebec two weeks ago, we had dinner at my Uncle's house.  My other Uncle showed up, in his brand new Kia Ioniq 6.  It's a fairly svelte looking machine.  He and his wife have both been retired for over a decade, so he sees his new car as nothing more than a toy.  They also have a conversion camper van (GM2500) that they use for long cross-country trips.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14564 on: August 23, 2023, 10:22:02 am »
When we were in Quebec two weeks ago, we had dinner at my Uncle's house.  My other Uncle showed up, in his brand new Kia Ioniq 6.  It's a fairly svelte looking machine.  He and his wife have both been retired for over a decade, so he sees his new car as nothing more than a toy.  They also have a conversion camper van (GM2500) that they use for long cross-country trips.

I see a lot of that - car people getting an EV as a "toy", instead of a Miata, Wrangler or classic car.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14565 on: August 23, 2023, 10:53:54 am »

I see a lot of that - car people getting an EV as a "toy", instead of a Miata, Wrangler or classic car.

Reminds me of a CBC story a few years ago where a Leaf owner said that it was sportier and more fun to drive than the Miata he used to have.  :P

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: August 23, 2023, 11:23:20 am »

Reminds me of a CBC story a few years ago where a Leaf owner said that it was sportier and more fun to drive than the Miata he used to have.  :P

I think non-car people perceive a "specialness" in EV's that talks to them. It's the whole experience that leaves a positive vibe. But the Leaf is just about the most boring EV ever, so I guess the endorphins were really kicking during that interview!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14567 on: August 23, 2023, 11:34:04 am »
A couple of C8's on my way home from golf last night...

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: August 23, 2023, 11:53:36 am »

To be fair, aside from their camper van, they're a one vehicle family, so their Ioniq is their daily driver.  BUT, being retired, it's not like they put a ton of miles on it.  He also posited that being as expensive as it is, it's not really a practical solution for a family with the expense of kids and a mortgage.  So, when he says it's a 'toy', its probably because it was more expensive than a comparable ICE car, but he justified the extra expense as something that he 'wanted', rather than being a practical alternative to an ICE car.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: August 23, 2023, 12:10:55 pm »

This Rover TC 2000 is a rare car to see at all never mind street parked. That said there was a dark red one parked in a driveway across the street. Likely the same owner.

Unique and very offbeat little sedans, especially when they have the V8!

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14570 on: August 23, 2023, 12:20:29 pm »
Driving to work yesterday I followed a Malibu Maxx for a bit, and coming back I came accross my first Ioniq 6 in my 'hood, a base model like the one below. It's like 60 years separate these two!

I'm probably in a very small minority, but I prefer the styling of the Malibu over the Ioniq.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: August 23, 2023, 12:23:00 pm »

Don't think I've ever even heard of these. The wagon is a bit funky looking.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14572 on: August 23, 2023, 02:37:20 pm »
Nothing on the way to work - I take the train and there's not much to see.  But two cool cars crossed my path in the last two days.

The first, below, is the new toy picked up by a good friend of mine.  We've been trying to find time to get together all summer, so this was my frst time clapping eyes on it in person.  Pure sculpture.

And then this morning, when I took my wife's motorbike in for its first service, there was actually one car in the new car showroom - which is one more than average.

This thing does not suck in any way whatsoever.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14573 on: August 23, 2023, 02:49:24 pm »

I'm probably in a very small minority, but I prefer the styling of the Malibu over the Ioniq.

I'm with you all the way, that Ioniq looks like a movie/video game production that makes up cars so they don't have to buy the rights to real ones. Not a good looking car from any angle.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: August 23, 2023, 03:07:07 pm »

I'm with you all the way, that Ioniq looks like a movie/video game production that makes up cars so they don't have to buy the rights to real ones. Not a good looking car from any angle.

Actually looks better in person.  It's got a bit of Mercedes Benz CLS in it.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: August 23, 2023, 03:07:53 pm »
And then this morning, when I took my wife's motorbike in for its first service, there was actually one car in the new car showroom - which is one more than average.

This thing does not suck in any way whatsoever.

Did you happen to see what the Markup is on the Type R?  It's the only reason I could think of why it's sitting.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: August 23, 2023, 03:09:09 pm »

Actually looks better in person.  It's got a bit of Mercedes Benz CLS in it.

+1. Quite the stunner in person.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14577 on: August 23, 2023, 03:13:05 pm »

The first, below, is the new toy picked up by a good friend of mine.  We've been trying to find time to get together all summer, so this was my frst time clapping eyes on it in person.  Pure sculpture.

Beauty.  When do you get the Ferrari experience on the road?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: August 23, 2023, 03:43:55 pm »
Someone I know compared to the rear of the Ioniq 6 to the 911. I guess I sorta see it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: August 23, 2023, 04:37:58 pm »
Someone I know compared to the rear of the Ioniq 6 to the 911. I guess I sorta see it.
How drunk were they?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...