Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3055731 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #14460 on: May 13, 2023, 12:18:16 pm »
Stopped in a Superstore, and I saw this:

I've seen it driving around occasionally, too.  I wonder how many OG Grand Caravans are left?

Dimensions
Length   190.5 in.
Overall width without mirrors   72.2 in.
Height   64.7 in.
Wheelbase   119.3 in.
Maximum cargo capacity   150 cu.ft.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: May 13, 2023, 12:24:53 pm »

Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14462 on: May 13, 2023, 12:25:37 pm »
Look at how small it is.  It's barely larger than the Saturn Astra that it's parked next to. 

I think it's sized similarly to the Chevy Orlando, and Kia Rondo mini-minivans that came out about a decade ago.

Wonder how small it would look alongside a modern minivan. Like the full size GM pickup from  88-98, they look like a compact truck next to newer models

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14463 on: May 13, 2023, 06:27:34 pm »
Look at how small it is.  It's barely larger than the Saturn Astra that it's parked next to. 

I think it's sized similarly to the Chevy Orlando, and Kia Rondo mini-minivans that came out about a decade ago.

Wonder how small it would look alongside a modern minivan. Like the full size GM pickup from  88-98, they look like a compact truck next to newer models

This article makes the comparison with a good graphic and pics.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica vs. 1984 Plymouth Voyager

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14464 on: May 16, 2023, 08:18:32 am »
On the 25 min drive back from work yesterday I spotted 4 BZ4X, a Gallardo, a JDM 4x4 van with twin ski caskets on top and one of these high bucks, huge Euro-style heavy truck-based overlanding rigs.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14465 on: May 16, 2023, 10:55:00 am »

I've seen it driving around occasionally, too.  I wonder how many OG Grand Caravans are left?

Dimensions
Length   190.5 in.
Height   64.7 in.
Wheelbase   119.3 in.

alcoholic house painters and drywallers.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14466 on: May 16, 2023, 10:59:19 am »

Dimensions
Length   190.5 in.
Height   64.7 in.
Wheelbase   119.3 in.

Recently saw one of the new "Grand Caravan"s - a decontented Pacifica. If they issued a CVP on this for $19,995 they would sell like hotcakes - but that won't happen.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14467 on: May 16, 2023, 01:00:27 pm »

Dimensions
Length   190.5 in.
Height   64.7 in.
Wheelbase   119.3 in.

Recently saw one of the new "Grand Caravan"s - a decontented Pacifica. If they issued a CVP on this for $19,995 they would sell like hotcakes - but that won't happen.

If they sold them for less than $40k, they'd sell like hotcakes.  People needing to schlep a family around are paying into the $30s for 5-7 year old 3-rows that have lived a hard life.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14468 on: May 16, 2023, 01:05:03 pm »

Dimensions
Length   190.5 in.
Height   64.7 in.
Wheelbase   119.3 in.

This is what a minivan should be for young families. Some disposable, $20k thing that will be filled with snot, candy and garbage for the next 10 years and then just disposed of. $50k+ minivans make zero sense to me, even the AWD ones, as they are meant for families with young crotch goblins which means they will be destroyed in no time.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: May 16, 2023, 01:16:53 pm »

Dimensions
Length   190.5 in.
Height   64.7 in.
Wheelbase   119.3 in.

If they sold them for less than $40k, they'd sell like hotcakes.  People needing to schlep a family around are paying into the $30s for 5-7 year old 3-rows that have lived a hard life.

Prices starts at $49,940 on chrysler.ca. The Pacifica PHEV is popular around here, even in premium imports-first neighbourhoods like mine, the gassers not so much.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14470 on: May 16, 2023, 01:21:11 pm »
This is what a minivan should be for young families. Some disposable, $20k thing that will be filled with snot, candy and garbage for the next 10 years and then just disposed of. $50k+ minivans make zero sense to me, even the AWD ones, as they are meant for families with young crotch goblins which means they will be destroyed in no time.

That's what my sister pointed out, but she also mentioned that reliability is huge for a family machine, and every second person I know with one of those Caravans has a horror story of being stranded.

They settled on a used Sienna and that thing has carted the family around for years without issue

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: May 16, 2023, 01:25:27 pm »

That's what my sister pointed out, but she also mentioned that reliability is huge for a family machine, and every second person I know with one of those Caravans has a horror story of being stranded.

They settled on a used Sienna and that thing has carted the family around for years without issue

Really?!?! Huh, I always thought of those things as pretty reliable but, mind you, I never really knew anyone with one  ;D How the hell can Chrysler screw up something so simple!?!?!?

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14472 on: May 16, 2023, 01:50:14 pm »

As a counterpoint....I ton of young families I know literally take a "fix it when it breaks" approach to vehicle maintenance.  Up until recently, NB had annual safety inspections...so a ton of vehicles only see a shop at inspection time (and hopefully get an oil change at the same time).  I bet most can't tell you when the last time any fluid was changed, etc.  As I've said, family haulers lead a hard life, and I would not assume any 3-row or van has been well maintained unless I knew the previous owner.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14473 on: May 16, 2023, 02:05:15 pm »

As a counterpoint....I ton of young families I know literally take a "fix it when it breaks" approach to vehicle maintenance.  Up until recently, NB had annual safety inspections...so a ton of vehicles only see a shop at inspection time (and hopefully get an oil change at the same time).  I bet most can't tell you when the last time any fluid was changed, etc.  As I've said, family haulers lead a hard life, and I would not assume any 3-row or van has been well maintained unless I knew the previous owner.

Now imagine never needing an inspection as long as you own it and think about the same "fix it when it breaks" crew.  That's Ontario
Mr Pickypants

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: May 16, 2023, 02:05:41 pm »

Theres a Caravan around here, same gen as the black one pictured above, that my buddy and I wince every time it drives by. The CV axles click like its got a hockey card in the spokes, brakes are grinding, there is distinctive clunk when it hits a bump, at least one wheel bearing is howling, and I don't think I've ever seen the thing clean. You maybe onto something, these should be treated as writeoffs when buying them lol

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14475 on: May 17, 2023, 01:40:01 am »

Really?!?! Huh, I always thought of those things as pretty reliable but, mind you, I never really knew anyone with one  ;D How the hell can Chrysler screw up something so simple!?!?!?
In typical Chryco fashion, you’ll get 50 owners that have had great experiences and 50 that were mechanical nightmares. We had these vans in my family and all were reliable. I do see many new gen models though with pooched transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14476 on: May 17, 2023, 05:32:46 pm »
in a similar yet different theme, drove by this small collection of full size vans on the way to a meeting the other day:
https://goo.gl/maps/DeeM3iLjwcX545rAA
(check out the satellite and street views)

I hardly ever see these vans on the road anymore and the ones I do see are for always for a business/contractor.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #14477 on: May 17, 2023, 06:48:17 pm »
in a similar yet different theme, drove by this small collection of full size vans on the way to a meeting the other day:
https://goo.gl/maps/DeeM3iLjwcX545rAA
(check out the satellite and street views)

I hardly ever see these vans on the road anymore and the ones I do see are for always for a business/contractor.

I drove by that place a couple Saturdays ago.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: May 18, 2023, 04:15:52 pm »
Took a 15 min break from WFH to drive my youngest to work. Spotted a black RR Ghost along our main arterial. And yet another McLaren appeared in our 'burb - I can't tell their models apart at a quick glance but it looked like one of the pricier ones. Ballerville.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: May 18, 2023, 04:23:37 pm »

A rare find. A very early 610 badged as a 1800. Builds from August until December 1972 before full production.