Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3055797 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #14420 on: February 15, 2023, 12:07:34 pm »
I was thinking camera mount? Weird.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14421 on: February 15, 2023, 12:20:17 pm »
I didn't notice that either, it does look like a go-pro mount. Big mud flaps too, and a bike rack (I think?).

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14422 on: February 15, 2023, 01:37:22 pm »
That doesn’t look like a bike rack to me. Almost looks like there’s something industrial going on with that vehicle.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: February 15, 2023, 02:53:53 pm »
Zooming does not help. But, yeah, does not look like a bike rack. It was parked outside the swap meet so maybe some kind of lift?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14424 on: February 15, 2023, 03:05:56 pm »
Interesting. That does look like a lift of some sort. That 'camera mount' looks pretty robust too, so it might not be a camera mount after all. Based on it's position, it's likely mounted to the upper shock bolt which is right at that position on the frame. The wheels/tires are probably related to maximizing load capacity.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14425 on: February 15, 2023, 03:25:41 pm »
The Nivas and the rwd sedans were pretty robust. The interiors were of poor quality but mechanicals bits were solid. The fwd Samaras (and Sonoras) were not as well built.

There are still a few but most seem to live in northern Alberta or BC these days.

They were tough mechanically but rotted out way too early, especially here on the rust coast. 

Today I had a near miss with a bald eagle when it flew directly in front of my windshield while trying to land on fresh deer roadkill.  I was in cruise control on the highway and noticed the roadkill, as there were a few crows pecking away at it, and the next thing a huge mass of wing and talons appeared in front of me.  I must have missed clipping it by mere inches.  That was freaky!  You don't really appreciate how big those things are until you see them up close with wings in full span.  It blacked out my entire field of view.    :o
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 03:43:01 pm by KD »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14426 on: February 22, 2023, 08:13:14 am »
The Nivas and the rwd sedans were pretty robust. The interiors were of poor quality but mechanicals bits were solid. The fwd Samaras (and Sonoras) were not as well built.

There are still a few but most seem to live in northern Alberta or BC these days.

They were tough mechanically but rotted out way too early, especially here on the rust coast. 

Today I had a near miss with a bald eagle when it flew directly in front of my windshield while trying to land on fresh deer roadkill.  I was in cruise control on the highway and noticed the roadkill, as there were a few crows pecking away at it, and the next thing a huge mass of wing and talons appeared in front of me.  I must have missed clipping it by mere inches.  That was freaky!  You don't really appreciate how big those things are until you see them up close with wings in full span.  It blacked out my entire field of view.    :o

I saw the things from up close in Alaska last summer - indeed, they're HUGE! Near a fishing dock they were all over the place, like pigeons in a park. One picked up salmon bits and came down near us to have its sushi snack.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: February 22, 2023, 08:32:48 am »

I saw the things from up close in Alaska last summer - indeed, they're HUGE! Near a fishing dock they were all over the place, like pigeons in a park. One picked up salmon bits and came down near us to have its sushi snack.

None in Quebec?  ??? They're ubiquitous here all times of the year and it's a rare day that I don't see several.  Turkey vultures oth are a relatively recent addition - only in warmer months - but now they are quite common as well.  They usually take over the road kills when they return and are about the same size as the bald eagle. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14428 on: February 22, 2023, 08:39:39 am »

None in Quebec?  ??? They're ubiquitous here all times of the year and it's a rare day that I don't see several.  Turkey vultures oth are a relatively recent addition - only in warmer months - but now they are quite common as well.  They usually take over the road kills when they return and are about the same size as the bald eagle.

No we don't get the eagles down East - we have smaller birds of prey - falcons etc. Did see the vultures too in BC and Alaska, often side by side with the baldies - indeed, same size. Alaska crows are something too from up close!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: February 22, 2023, 08:42:51 am »

No we don't get the eagles down East - we have smaller birds of prey - falcons etc. Did see the vultures too in BC and Alaska, often side by side with the baldies - indeed, same size. Alaska crows are something too from up close!

I'm a little further east than you btw...lol 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14430 on: February 22, 2023, 08:45:20 am »

Maritimes? Been there a lot and never seen the eagles there either.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: February 22, 2023, 08:50:56 am »

Yup lots here in N.S. as well. All over the province. Especially in Sheffield Mills in the Valley .
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14432 on: February 22, 2023, 10:13:28 am »

We get bald eagles in Eastern Ontario, there's a nest near our cottage.   Two years ago we saw bald eagles on Miscou Island in NB, one was sizing up our puppy, Charlie, and we had to keep an eye on her.  Didn't see any last year.   Noticed though, if there are bald eagles, the osprey are gone.   Also lots of turkey vultures everywhere.
Mr Pickypants

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14433 on: February 22, 2023, 10:14:54 am »

They're a common sight in Fredericton. Will often see them soaring above the river. Recently someone posted video of one in their downtown yard eating something it had hunted.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14434 on: February 22, 2023, 10:23:50 am »
Alaska crows are something too from up close!

That would be ravens I believe. Lots in northern Alberta where I'm from originally. Some get huge indeed, very medieval looking. This one was in the news a couple months ago, surfing a vehicles slipstream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLQpLaUZZg

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: February 22, 2023, 10:30:31 am »

Just for you BP  ;D...literally taken less than 15 minutes ago....

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=101342.msg1641370#msg1641370
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:32:15 am by KD »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14436 on: February 22, 2023, 10:38:21 am »

That would be ravens I believe. Lots in northern Alberta where I'm from originally. Some get huge indeed, very medieval looking. This one was in the news a couple months ago, surfing a vehicles slipstream:

We had a pair of ravens living in a giant tree at our last place. Very interesting creatures.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: February 22, 2023, 10:59:16 am »
Huh. I guess the eagles just avoid Quebec air space then. Can't blame 'em  ;D.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: February 22, 2023, 11:24:51 am »

Wow, that would be cool.  I've had bald eagles fly along side of us while cruising in the speed boat for quite a distance but not for quite that long. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: April 12, 2023, 01:26:11 pm »
With WFH I found this thread deep in Page 2  ;D

Driving back my presser yesterday in traffic, morning rush hour, most of the way I had a guy in a minty, mid-60's Beetle in my vincinity. Deep blue, lots of chrome and narrow tires with big white walls. Kept up with traffic too!