Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3055446 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #14140 on: April 21, 2022, 05:10:28 pm »
I had an '87 Pathfinder: two-door with the manual. Was a great vehicle. Replaced it with a 2000 Xterra, also with a manual. I was expecting a bigger leap forward, but if anything it was a bit of a step backward. Maybe a little bit more power, but didn't ride as nice with the leafs in the back (Pathfinder was coils.)

And my brother had one of the two-door 4Runners. Think his was an '89, but maybe automatic.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14141 on: April 21, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »
I had an '87 Pathfinder: two-door with the manual. Was a great vehicle. Replaced it with a 2000 Xterra, also with a manual. I was expecting a bigger leap forward, but if anything it was a bit of a step backward. Maybe a little bit more power, but didn't ride as nice with the leafs in the back (Pathfinder was coils.)

And my brother had one of the two-door 4Runners. Think his was an '89, but maybe automatic.

'89 would have been the previous generation, like this one:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14142 on: April 21, 2022, 05:14:00 pm »
Speaking of two door SUV’s from the 90’s that we liked, one of my favourites were the GMC Yukon 2 door.  I don’t know how good they were or if they offered a manual, but as a teen I always thought they were sharp.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: April 21, 2022, 05:16:44 pm »
Speaking of two door SUV’s from the 90’s that we liked, one of my favourites were the GMC Yukon 2 door.  I don’t know how good they were or if they offered a manual, but as a teen I always thought they were sharp.

I loved these too, especially the later Tahoe Sports that had a monochromatic look. You could get a manual in the older ones, I think pre '95 or '96. The '95+ models have a much nicer interior, and the '96+ models had the better Vortec motors.

There used to be a dentist in town that had one when they were new, he had it custom painted in yellow.

This is exactly the spec I loved: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-chevrolet-tahoe-35/

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: April 21, 2022, 05:17:29 pm »
Deleting two doors definitely made those trucklets much more sporty.  ;D

Ahem, most of these were offered with two doors first followed by the four door models.  :P

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14145 on: April 21, 2022, 05:19:29 pm »

It's like we're living in some horrible dream where all small CUVs/SUVs have to look as ridiculous as possible, and one day we're going to wake up and they'll all look like this again:

::)

I bought its sibling in red exception taken being 2 doors, brand new a '88 GMC Jimmy V6 4.3L 4AT iirc, horrible duo motor / tranny disagree between 3rd & 4th gear @ 100km/h on highway and frankly, hard on gas.

The year after I literally exchanged it w/o signing a check, for a '89 VW Jetta TDI 5MT which I loved (the first 5 years).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 05:29:56 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14146 on: April 21, 2022, 05:20:03 pm »

I loved these too, especially the later Tahoe Sports that had a monochromatic look. You could get a manual in the older ones, I think pre '95 or '96. The '95+ models have a much nicer interior, and the '96+ models had the better Vortec motors.

There used to be a dentist in town that had one when they were new, he had it custom painted in yellow.

This is exactly the spec I loved: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-chevrolet-tahoe-35/

Wow, that was a great specimen and for that price it’s cheaper than a Wrangler and Bronco now and much cooler.  Those seats look extra comfy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14147 on: April 21, 2022, 05:22:10 pm »
I loved my XJ, beat the crap out of it and kept coming back for more

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14148 on: April 21, 2022, 05:22:53 pm »

There was a kid in high school whos dad had a black one of these....I loved that thing deeply!!!!

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14149 on: April 21, 2022, 06:10:56 pm »

A friend of mine had one like this except brown with a manual. It was in excellent shape (no rust amazingly) until it was hit by a drunk driver while parked on the street. Written off and replaced with a Sentra...  :-[
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14150 on: April 21, 2022, 06:34:45 pm »
This thread is bringing back lots of high school memories. Growing up in rural Nova Scotia my friends and I were obsessed with all of these SUVs. Also the ZR2s.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14151 on: April 21, 2022, 07:50:47 pm »

Oh, right, not one of those. Maybe his was a ‘90. It was definitely the next generation.

I thought it was interesting that Toyota made those in both a two-door and a four-door. His was the two-door. Pathfinders from that era were all two-door until the next generation came out, then they were all four-door.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14152 on: April 21, 2022, 08:39:00 pm »
My vote goes for this trio, 2-doors with 3 pedals!

I loved all of those. The two door Pathfinders and 4Runner were rare even when they were new. Both were introduced as two door models with the four doors coming a bit later.

I did briefly own a 1999 Cherokee Sport two door, with the 4.0 and manual. It was nicely equipped - IIRC it had cruise, AC, and all the power options. Got it for $4400 from a client of mine at the time, then someone hit me in an intersection a year later and I got $4400 from the insurance company - basically just lost the taxes.

Oh whatever happened to the 2 door truck SUVs?  :'(

Friend's dad had a red, manual 2 door one when I was in grade 6. I remember him fishtailing in the rain when he drove us to school one day. "Needs new tires!" he said. He got new Michelin LTX M/S a few days later. Crazy how I still remember the tires he got.

Buddy of mine had a burgundy '05 Blazer 2 door in university that he bought brand new for pennies (I think it was the last year of the Blazer). I don't recall it giving him any trouble.

2 door Explorers were popular too. My karate sensei had one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:42:14 pm by 1FGC »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14153 on: April 21, 2022, 08:41:36 pm »
When I was 9 my family moved back to Canada after four years of living in England. Within a week of moving back, my Dad had bought a new 1992 Chevrolet S10 Club Cab with the 2.8 V6 and manual transmission. It was 2wd, and we were living in Montreal, and my Dad's favorite pastime was going up to the ZEC's to go fishing.  Lots of swearing ensued, as that truck got stuck during the winter, and stuck on trails on our way to fishing lakes.  My brother and I would sit in the little jump seats in the back (facing each other, with plenty of fighting, because we were fighting each other).

Like this, but blue, and I think it had more basic wheels, and the tires were Uniroyal Tiger Paw (I remember that, because Tiger Paws are a cool name for a tire to a ten year old).

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14154 on: April 21, 2022, 09:09:31 pm »
Yeah, to be clear I am not saying that the Blazer was a *better* vehicle, technology has definitely helped make vehicles *better* for the average consumer over the last 30 years. I am just saying that the simple, boxy, clean lines that were popular in that era were waaay more visually appealing than the monstrosities we have on the road today in the same/similar segment.

:iagree:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14155 on: April 21, 2022, 09:18:42 pm »
This thread is bringing back lots of high school memories. Growing up in rural Nova Scotia my friends and I were obsessed with all of these SUVs. Also the ZR2s.

I had the GMC Sonoma version called "Highrider".

My first...and last...GM.   :hurl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14156 on: April 21, 2022, 09:35:21 pm »
When I was 9 my family moved back to Canada after four years of living in England. Within a week of moving back, my Dad had bought a new 1992 Chevrolet S10 Club Cab with the 2.8 V6 and manual transmission. It was 2wd, and we were living in Montreal, and my Dad's favorite pastime was going up to the ZEC's to go fishing.  Lots of swearing ensued, as that truck got stuck during the winter, and stuck on trails on our way to fishing lakes.  My brother and I would sit in the little jump seats in the back (facing each other, with plenty of fighting, because we were fighting each other).

Like this, but blue, and I think it had more basic wheels, and the tires were Uniroyal Tiger Paw (I remember that, because Tiger Paws are a cool name for a tire to a ten year old).

Beauty truck, the wheel pictured were the 4x4 wheels, so if you dad had a 2WD he probably had the 14" GM rally wheels (usually with beauty rings and caps).

My 2WD Sonoma (the ZQ8 - 'sport' suspension) was also pretty notorious for getting stuck, often it was a pain, but once in awhile it worked out in my favor. My first date with the now Mrs.Firm, I accidentally drove past her street and went to turn around in a gravel lot that had a few inches of snow on it. Apparently the snow hid the mild incline as well, I got the truck turned around, but couldn't get it back out of the lot. Walked to her house and came up with some cheesy line about having exciting date plans, so she should grab her snow boots....then proceed to walk her over to the truck where she helped me get it unstuck. Fortunately she found the whole thing pretty funny.

I always loved the ZR2 / Highrider trucks, whether in SUV or pickup form. Even today I'd love to have a one and do keep a casual eye on the market for one....unfortunately most of them around here are very rotten now.

I will admit that the second generation trucks, like mine, were not the most reliable things around.....The drivelines were nearly bulletproof (especially the 4.3L) but the build quality otherwise wasn't so hot. When mine was a daily driver I was always repairing little annoying things; balljoints, stab links, alternator, intake gaskets, etc. Plus I had a few water leaks into the cab, which were very frustrating to track down and fix, and the bodies did not hold up well to our climate.

If you didn't care about stuff like that though, it would run forever. I had a 99 S10 Xtreme with a rebuilt title (and was resprayed BMW M3 blue) that I bought for parts (mostly for a set of 20" BOSS rims with new tires). I swapped some stuff to my Sonoma and was going to list it, when a close friend had his car die....he wasn't in a good spot, so I gave him the S10. It had 210K on it at the time and he ran it for 10 years, doing duty as a farm hand for at least half that time, and with a pair of 12" subs in the cab that would rattle the glass. He did almost no maintenance, and it had just about every issue possible, but it still ran and drove. He scrapped it with 420K on it a few years ago when the body was so rotten it was unsafe, and he bought another 2nd gen S10.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:57:19 pm by Firm »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14157 on: April 21, 2022, 09:54:38 pm »

In high school my buddy's dad had a 1993 S10 ext cab 4x4 4.3 auto. That was the last year for that generation. We took that truck all over the place.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14158 on: April 21, 2022, 10:01:03 pm »

Beauty truck, the wheel pictured were the 4x4 wheels, so if you dad had a 2WD he probably had the 14" GM rally wheels (usually with beauty rings and caps).

My 2WD Sonoma (the ZQ8 - 'sport' suspension) was also pretty notorious for getting stuck, often it was a pain, but once in awhile it worked out in my favor. My first date with the now Mrs.Firm, I accidentally drove past her street and went to turn around in a gravel lot that had a few inches of snow on it. Apparently the snow hid the mild incline as well, I got the truck turned around, but couldn't get it back out of the lot. Walked to her house and came up with some cheesy line about having exciting date plans, so she should grab her snow boots....then proceed to walk her over to the truck where she helped me get it unstuck. Fortunately she found the whole thing pretty funny.

I always loved the ZR2 / Highrider trucks, whether in SUV or pickup form. Even today I'd love to have a one and do keep a casual eye on the market for one....unfortunately most of them around here are very rotten now.

I will admit that the second generation trucks, like mine, were not the most reliable things around.....The drivelines were nearly bulletproof (especially the 4.3L) but the build quality otherwise wasn't so hot. When mine was a daily driver I was always repairing little annoying things; balljoints, stab links, alternator, intake gaskets, etc. Plus I had a few water leaks into the cab, which were very frustrating to track down and fix, and the bodies did not hold up well to our climate.

If you didn't care about stuff like that though, it would run forever. I had a 99 S10 Xtreme with a rebuilt title (and was resprayed BMW M3 blue) that I bought for parts (mostly for a set of 20" BOSS rims with new tires). I swapped some stuff to my Sonoma and was going to list it, when a close friend had his car die....he wasn't in a good spot, so I gave him the S10. It had 210K on it at the time and he ran it for 10 years, doing duty as a farm hand for at least half that time, and with a pair of 12" subs in the cab that would rattle the glass. He did almost no maintenance, and it had just about every issue possible, but it still ran and drove. He scrapped it with 420K on it a few years ago when the body was so rotten it was unsafe, and he bought another 2nd gen S10.

Found a (terrible) photo of the two of the trucks together...2007ish. Mrs.Firm on the right and my buddies then girlfriend on the left, acting like the teenagers that we were then. This was at the drive-in, and I vividly remember the blue truck having a bunch of small sharp stones in the bed, so the four of us ended up squeezed into the bed of my pewter truck - which has the narrower stepside bed. First and last time we tried that.  :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14159 on: April 30, 2022, 01:01:09 pm »
Honda Civic with California plates.