Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3055430 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #14060 on: March 16, 2022, 09:01:33 am »
Not sure where to stick this one (keep your suggestions to yourself  ;D ) but I came across this... um... classic? when shopping for my G80.  I managed to resist the temptation.  :rofl2:

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14061 on: March 16, 2022, 09:12:50 am »
^^ get this and brag about owning a Guigario-styled car. Oddly, the local Hyundai dealer where we had my daughter's Accent's PPI had a silver one in similar condition, also as an indoor display.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14062 on: March 16, 2022, 09:20:10 am »
Oohhhh, I always had a thing for that 200GT

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14063 on: March 16, 2022, 09:36:04 am »
^^ get this and brag about owning a Guigario-styled car. Oddly, the local Hyundai dealer where we had my daughter's Accent's PPI had a silver one in similar condition, also as an indoor display.

Hmmm maybe it's a marketing thing. That's a very well preserved Stellar in the background as well. 

It would be an interesting approach - I always thought Hyundai was trying to get people to stop thinking of the Pony whenever the brand is mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:37:44 am by Jaeger »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #14064 on: March 16, 2022, 09:56:12 am »
I was involved in a Hyundai dealership in the 90's. They were certainly trying to live it down back then.  There was even a proposed ad campaign for the Scoupe that had two grizzled prospectors (complete with mules) hearing high revving engine sounds approaching. A red S'coupe ;D blows past them in a cloud of dust. One loks at the other and says "what the heck was that? The other one says "I don't know but it sure wasn't no pony!"   Saw a rough cut of the ad at a dealer conference but it never ran. I heard it was killed in Korea. The Korean brass were very touchy about the joke status of the Pony and the Stellar.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14065 on: March 16, 2022, 10:21:41 am »
I was involved in a Hyundai dealership in the 90's. They were certainly trying to live it down back then.  There was even a proposed ad campaign for the Scoupe that had two grizzled prospectors (complete with mules) hearing high revving engine sounds approaching. A red S'coupe ;D blows past them in a cloud of dust. One loks at the other and says "what the heck was that? The other one says "I don't know but it sure wasn't no pony!"   Saw a rough cut of the ad at a dealer conference but it never ran. I heard it was killed in Korea. The Korean brass were very touchy about the joke status of the Pony and the Stellar.

Ahh the S'Coupe - forgot about that one.  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14066 on: March 16, 2022, 10:49:36 am »

Ahh the S'Coupe - forgot about that one.  ;D

The early 90's stuff from Hyundai was still pretty poor but head and shoulders above the Pony or Stellar from just a few years earlier. Hyundai got up to speed for the North American market expectations in a remarkably short time.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14067 on: March 16, 2022, 11:15:34 am »
Love that Pony. I use to deliver pizzas in one of those and it was fun to get sideways at every chance I had. Probably has more "feeling" than many cars today.  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14068 on: March 16, 2022, 11:21:35 am »
The Pony is actually an interesting car. Very ambitous in the day. They went from re-badged Fords (Cortina, etc) to their own car (with some Mitsubishi basis). They were helped out by some ex-British Leyland engineers. Its a crude car no doubt but an impressive achievement. Keep in mind it was designed in the 70s as well.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14069 on: March 16, 2022, 11:40:48 am »
Ford Festiva is another notable from the Kyundai history books. Mazda designed, Ford sold, Kia built

Huge amount of love for that thing by some. A buddy had one and he'd let his LS400 sit while he ran around town in that box on wheels.

Some Ford engineers wedged a mid mounted Yamaha SHO V6 into seven of them:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/videos/a28945/ford-festiva-shogun-jay-leno/

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14070 on: March 16, 2022, 01:53:42 pm »
Love that Pony. I use to deliver pizzas in one of those and it was fun to get sideways at every chance I had. Probably has more "feeling" than many cars today.  ;D

No way!  That's pretty cool.

The Pony is actually an interesting car. Very ambitous in the day. They went from re-badged Fords (Cortina, etc) to their own car (with some Mitsubishi basis). They were helped out by some ex-British Leyland engineers. Its a crude car no doubt but an impressive achievement. Keep in mind it was designed in the 70s as well.

I remember when they hit the market here and it seemed they were just everywhere overnight.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14071 on: March 16, 2022, 01:54:45 pm »

The inlaws bought a brand new Pony in the 80s....it set itself on fire on their driveway and burnt to a crisp  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #14072 on: March 16, 2022, 02:37:56 pm »

The inlaws bought a brand new Pony in the 80s....it set itself on fire on their driveway and burnt to a crisp  :rofl2: :rofl2:

That's their story and they're sticking to it... ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14073 on: March 16, 2022, 02:40:20 pm »

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14074 on: March 16, 2022, 02:45:35 pm »

The only thing I ever saw that was worse was a Lada. They approached me about a store one time but I wasn’t that much of a masochist. I remember someone from the auto port in Halifax telling me that most of them needed work when they arrived just in order to be drivable.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14075 on: March 16, 2022, 03:04:13 pm »
I think its generally agreed on that Dacia is the worth quality car imported during that time period.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14076 on: March 16, 2022, 03:12:21 pm »

The only thing I ever saw that was worse was a Lada. They approached me about a store one time but I wasn’t that much of a masochist. I remember someone from the auto port in Halifax telling me that most of them needed work when they arrived just in order to be drivable.

:D

A Fiat design deemed too ancient and crappy even for the Italians, the Lada was built by a Soviet concern called Volzhsky Avtomobilny Zavod, which, we can only assume, is Russian for "Bureau of Self-Propelled Wretchedness". It was the perfect car for a populace for whom making it home from the four-hour bread line without being interrogated by the KGB and exiled to Siberia constituted a good day. While this little Red Scare never made it to the United States, it came pretty darn close—AvtoVAZ marketed it not only in Europe, but in Canada. In the United Kingdom, where the Riva was the cheapest car you could buy, the importer had to put an average of of 15 percent of the sticker price worth of work into each car just to bring it up to British quality standards, a concept we didn't even realize existed. In 2001, the Riva was crash-tested and scored zero stars. Amazingly, this wheeled torture chamber remained in production until 2012.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/worst-cars-of-the-1980s/

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: March 16, 2022, 03:22:44 pm »
Lada actually beefed up the Fiat design. Its a stronger and less complicated in many ways. That said the interior plastics were of pretty low quality even on the fancier export versions.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: March 16, 2022, 04:40:45 pm »

Naaahhh, they've been happy with a.....blech...Journey, so they are very much used to bottom of the barrel cars. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14079 on: March 16, 2022, 11:41:07 pm »
Not sure where to stick this one (keep your suggestions to yourself  ;D ) but I came across this... um... classic? when shopping for my G80.  I managed to resist the temptation.  :rofl2:

It must have been stored in an oil bath to not have rusted away.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson