Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3056057 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #13620 on: April 01, 2021, 08:31:05 am »
On another post-WFH evening walk, noticed a neighbour in the swanky street two blocks away swapped his RR for an Aston Martin DBX.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13621 on: April 01, 2021, 10:40:04 am »
Friend bought a 2021 Mazda6 Kuro.  Has the turbo.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13622 on: April 01, 2021, 10:54:03 am »
Looks sharp. Sell them some parking lessons  ;) 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13623 on: April 01, 2021, 11:24:23 am »
Friend bought a 2021 Mazda6 Kuro.  Has the turbo.

Rare! I hardly ever see current-gen Mazda6's.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13624 on: April 01, 2021, 11:27:21 am »
Looks sharp. Sell them some parking lessons  ;)

That was at the dealership, so I'll blame a sales droid for the abysmal parking.   :)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13625 on: April 01, 2021, 11:37:37 am »
Yeah I am not a fan of the look either, was loud though

I still can't believe Lambo have made an SUV  :-X but the DNA must be there  :D

The DNA is tractors.  Cars were made to spite Ferrari

https://www.lamborghini-tractors.com/en-eu/

Also it’s really just a tarted  up Audi, no?

Can't be - the dash, controls and seating is all hard surfaces.  >:(

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13626 on: April 01, 2021, 11:40:53 am »

1996 BMW Z3 and Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.

These two could hardly be more different. The BMW has a 1.9L four cylinder engine with a five speed manual and rear wheel drive. The Cadillac a 8.2L V8 with a three speed automatic and front wheel drive.

The BMW is for sale at a local House of Cars lot. Price on the window listed as "inquire" which likely means its crazy.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13627 on: April 01, 2021, 01:48:16 pm »

These two could hardly be more different. The BMW has a 1.9L four cylinder engine with a five speed manual and rear wheel drive. The Cadillac a 8.2L V8 with a three speed automatic and front wheel drive.

The BMW is for sale at a local House of Cars lot. Price on the window listed as "inquire" which likely means its crazy.

That Caddy drivetrain will shoehorn nicely into my GMC.   It's a common enough engine swap, tranny is the same.
Mr Pickypants

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #13628 on: April 01, 2021, 04:36:39 pm »

That Caddy drivetrain will shoehorn nicely into my GMC.   It's a common enough engine swap, tranny is the same.
Has there been any large hp engine swaps into those RVs?  I'm so thinking like a 500+hp LS.  I know that is rather pointless but still would be fun.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13629 on: April 01, 2021, 05:06:37 pm »
[

Has there been any large hp engine swaps into those RVs?  I'm so thinking like a 500+hp LS.  I know that is rather pointless but still would be fun.

The weak point is the transmission and final drive, there are no more modern alternatives to the TH425.   Nothing is really made for that amount of weight and is front wheel drive.    People have beefed the TH425 up and put coolers on and such, but mostly to keep them reliable.   One of the other problems is RPM, a 500hp LS is going to need to rev, a 455 Olds is into major torque at 2000rpm so you'd probably have problems finding proper gearing.   There have been a few diesel swaps, but they sound very pricey and not worth the trouble.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #13630 on: April 01, 2021, 05:28:51 pm »
[

The weak point is the transmission and final drive, there are no more modern alternatives to the TH425.   Nothing is really made for that amount of weight and is front wheel drive.    People have beefed the TH425 up and put coolers on and such, but mostly to keep them reliable.   One of the other problems is RPM, a 500hp LS is going to need to rev, a 455 Olds is into major torque at 2000rpm so you'd probably have problems finding proper gearing.   There have been a few diesel swaps, but they sound very pricey and not worth the trouble.
Yeah I'm sure diesel would be a good match for this app!location but I'm sure there is a lot of fabrication to get that to work.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13631 on: April 01, 2021, 05:51:19 pm »
[

Yeah I'm sure diesel would be a good match for this app!location but I'm sure there is a lot of fabrication to get that to work.

With a good working 455 nobody seems to be complaining of lack of power and many of them tow as well.   The only real concern is fuel mileage that keeps speeds down.   Guys are saying if they don't look at the speedometer speed creeps up and next thing you know you're going over 80mph down the highway.   The 403 doesn't seem to have issues either that way.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13632 on: April 01, 2021, 06:36:45 pm »
[

It's not just the fab work to get a diesel in there and connected, apparently the power pulses from a diesel are akin to a hammering and well...it hammers things apart in the drivetrain.
A lot of guys will change the gearing, which is too tall from the factory to give it better pulling power and acceleration.  Stock final drive is 3.07

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13634 on: April 05, 2021, 09:57:25 pm »
Old G, now a new G63. Owner also has a RR, needs timing chains, full air suspension lines and compressor, HID ballasts, infotainment computer...and more. Think he can afford it though...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13635 on: April 05, 2021, 10:04:08 pm »
There was an R550 AMG in front of me today
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:28 pm »
There was an R550 AMG in front of me today

AMG minivan!!

Ya, man!!

Had an electrical issue I think...every time the brakes were pushed, the lights flashed on/off.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13637 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:48 pm »
Old G, now a new G63. Owner also has a RR, needs timing chains, full air suspension lines and compressor, HID ballasts, infotainment computer...and more. Think he can afford it though...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Yikes on the RR. Shows there is little relationship between rich and smart. Takes his RR to the dealership for timing chain work lol. That's going to be like a $18k bill!  :rofl2:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:11:48 pm by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: April 05, 2021, 10:13:53 pm »
Also..in the span of 24 hours, I saw a pot bellied pig and 2 peacock wandering the side of the road in two different spots.

Was wondering if a circus train derailed.   ;D

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #13639 on: April 05, 2021, 10:46:08 pm »
Yeah I am not a fan of the look either, was loud though

I still can't believe Lambo have made an SUV  :-X but the DNA must be there  :D

The DNA runs back a few decades...

watch Jay Leno take a 1990 Lamborghini LM002 for a test drive: