Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3056313 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #13400 on: September 16, 2020, 05:40:59 pm »
I will consider it only if the numbers make sense.

Might be almost a wash with selling the Lexus, already have 2 buyers at my shop. Jag is in perfect health. Also, cost on parts and labour for basically beers (if it is a Jag) is nothing to sneeze at.

Again, only if it really is no hardship to swap cars will I consider it.

But thanks guys for trying to look out for me, I hear what you are saying loud and clear.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13401 on: September 16, 2020, 06:13:56 pm »
How. much is it?
Details?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

well let us just say there is a very similar one for sale on Auto Trader, similar mileage, for $14,995 retail. I would be paying wholesale (auction) price.

Have not worked out the details as the vehicle has not been traded in yet, and I didnt want to hound the sales manager, but I heard something in the region of $11k when I last overheard him talking about it. Could be wrong, could be more or less. If accurate, very tempting.

Car has complete service record, and major service and water pump replacement had just been done (one of my first ROs on my first day). Drives flawlessly, owner is an older Indian banker. Seemed babied and maintained obsessively, as I like to do to my cars.

Car gave me the fizz when I drove it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:17:41 pm by ChaosphereIX »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #13402 on: September 16, 2020, 09:26:45 pm »
I say fizz away. Sounds good.

Fizz is good.  He’s young enough.  Do it Chaos!  Otherwise you’ll regret passing.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13403 on: September 17, 2020, 08:00:10 am »
How. much is it?
Details?

well let us just say there is a very similar one for sale on Auto Trader, similar mileage, for $14,995 retail. I would be paying wholesale (auction) price.

Have not worked out the details as the vehicle has not been traded in yet, and I didnt want to hound the sales manager, but I heard something in the region of $11k when I last overheard him talking about it. Could be wrong, could be more or less. If accurate, very tempting.

Car has complete service record, and major service and water pump replacement had just been done (one of my first ROs on my first day). Drives flawlessly, owner is an older Indian banker. Seemed babied and maintained obsessively, as I like to do to my cars.

Well, you have had the IS-300 for almost two years now, so it's obviously time to get rid of it  :stick:  :rofl:

Seriously, if you can make the numbers work, then go for it!! I'm guessing if the Jag comes in ~$11k and then your Lexus could probably be sold for ~$8k, then you're only talking $3k difference. You're smart enough to know if it will work or not, and like the others have said, don't overextend yourself as you're just getting back on solid ground now.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13404 on: September 17, 2020, 11:15:19 am »
How. much is it?
Details?

Well, you have had the IS-300 for almost two years now, so it's obviously time to get rid of it  :stick:  :rofl:

Seriously, if you can make the numbers work, then go for it!! I'm guessing if the Jag comes in ~$11k and then your Lexus could probably be sold for ~$8k, then you're only talking $3k difference. You're smart enough to know if it will work or not, and like the others have said, don't overextend yourself as you're just getting back on solid ground now.

$3K, plus fuel, insurance etc. You're right, it's not huge, but a used civic would still be a better financial choice.  Come back to an FBC with a V8 after you've saved up a $10K rainy day fund.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13405 on: September 17, 2020, 11:51:38 am »
How. much is it?
Details?

$3K, plus fuel, insurance etc. You're right, it's not huge, but a used civic would still be a better financial choice.  Come back to an FBC with a V8 after you've saved up a $10K rainy day fund.

:iagree:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: September 17, 2020, 08:40:28 pm »
Saw a first Gen Buick Aurora.  I think they still look great. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13407 on: September 17, 2020, 11:31:48 pm »
Saw a first Gen Buick Aurora.  I think they still look great.

You mean Oldsmobile, right?
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13408 on: September 17, 2020, 11:37:00 pm »
I really like the first gen Olds Aurora. The second gen was so much more generic.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13409 on: September 18, 2020, 07:29:35 am »

You mean Oldsmobile, right?

Damnit, yes I do.  I thought it looked wrong when I wrote it.

And yeah, the 2nd generation was a turd.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13410 on: September 18, 2020, 08:33:16 am »
Second gen was apparently better according to the reviews but definitely lots something in terms of styling.

I had forgotten that the V6 they put in that one was the Northstar-derived "Shortstar", only used in the second gen Aurora and in the Intrigue.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13411 on: September 18, 2020, 07:12:01 pm »
I think both Aurora generations look great.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13412 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:32 pm »
A white Taycan has appeared today in my 'hood. Stunning in person.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: September 19, 2020, 08:39:24 am »
Like this? White Taycan driven by the owner of the dealership.

Also got to drive that Type R yesterday, damn what a car. The old LR is a perfect runner too.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13414 on: September 21, 2020, 12:22:32 pm »
Honda Clarity with BC plates.  Looked kinda cool. 

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13415 on: September 21, 2020, 12:23:40 pm »
I've seen a couple of these around in the last few weeks. They can't be very common.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13416 on: September 21, 2020, 01:05:37 pm »
^^ I just sent in my review for the 2020 Clarity Touring.

Look for it to show up in Member reviews when it goes live!

It's popular in Quebec, and no wonder: 40k$ base, 13k$ in gvt rebates! Makes the zero-incentives Accord Hybrid pretty redundant.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13417 on: September 21, 2020, 04:29:02 pm »
^^ I just sent in my review for the 2020 Clarity Touring.

Look for it to show up in Member reviews when it goes live!

It's popular in Quebec, and no wonder: 40k$ base, 13k$ in gvt rebates! Makes the zero-incentives Accord Hybrid pretty redundant.

We've reviewed a few of them. If the incentives were better in Ontario it'd be a hit even with the way it looks.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #13418 on: September 25, 2020, 10:02:00 am »
Ford GT in Belfountain. Mclaren (something something) heading up the 400.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13419 on: September 25, 2020, 10:47:38 am »
Like this? White Taycan driven by the owner of the dealership.

Also got to drive that Type R yesterday, damn what a car. The old LR is a perfect runner too.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I just saw the Throttle House review....as very well publicized on here, am not a fan of the golf cart type of vehicle, but this is the first one that might actually pique my interest. Imagine if it had a small flat 4 ICE and was a plug in hybrid, issue with range is instantly resolved.
Lighten up Francis.....