Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3056459 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #13220 on: April 30, 2020, 12:52:49 pm »
I'll never understand why people choose to live like this.   Even though I live in Surburbia, I have at least 10' between my house and the property line, and another 10' to the neighbour's house.  Even though our driveway is only single width, it is long, extending up the side of the house, meaning that we actually have a front lawn.  There is room on the street to park multiple cars between driveways.  Our lot is probably 3x the size of our house.  I don't think I'd ever want to live on a lot that is taken up mostly by house.  You may as well be living in a condo or an apartment.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: April 30, 2020, 12:57:15 pm »
Are they blocking part of the sidewalk AND road? If so, how is this even legal?

Yes - at the same time as never using their driveway. Its very odd.

And surburbia hell - our house is better positioned than these but the wife loves the surburbia vibe for some reason.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13222 on: April 30, 2020, 12:57:45 pm »
Yeah, that would drive me insane to walk/drive by that every day. Somebody might even make a call to bylaw on that...  :shuffle:

There’s a douchebag on our street who sometimes parks his F350 crew cab nose-first into a spot that’s really meant for parallel parking. I’m not even exaggerating when I say his rear bumper is in the middle of the street. Facking entitled douchebag.  >:(  Haven’t actually called Bylaw on him though.  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13223 on: May 03, 2020, 10:25:14 am »
I'll never understand why people choose to live like this.   Even though I live in Surburbia, I have at least 10' between my house and the property line, and another 10' to the neighbour's house.  Even though our driveway is only single width, it is long, extending up the side of the house, meaning that we actually have a front lawn.  There is room on the street to park multiple cars between driveways.  Our lot is probably 3x the size of our house.  I don't think I'd ever want to live on a lot that is taken up mostly by house.  You may as well be living in a condo or an apartment.

This. The older I get, the less I want to put up with other people's :censor:, like 'Summer BBQ music'. Yes I like music outside, MY MUSIC!  :rofl2:

Found a couple of properties near me recently with 25-50 acres of land... Need to sell more coffee...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13224 on: May 03, 2020, 10:35:23 am »

This is really no different than houses built 120 years ago in any city
It will look different when the the trees fill in 40 years
And you wouldnt  need Cars , we will just use transporters to get around

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: May 03, 2020, 10:53:27 am »

Most people have no choice, man.

Land is millions of dollars an acre in many places in the GTA, for example.

You could get a smaller house on a bigger lot.  It's not like it would have to be much smaller.  Get a 2000sq ft house instead of that 3000 sq.ft. house.

And Don't leave near T.O. where the land prices are outrageous.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13226 on: May 03, 2020, 10:55:02 am »

Most people have no choice, man.

Land is millions of dollars an acre in many places in the GTA, for example.

You could get a smaller house on a bigger lot.  It's not like it would have to be much smaller.  Get a 2000sq ft house instead of that 3000 sq.ft. house.

And Don't leave near T.O. where the land prices are outrageous.
Around here that won't happen on new construction. Builders try to maximize profits, so smaller house goes on smaller lot.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: May 03, 2020, 11:10:43 am »
I think I would just choose an older house on an existing, larger lot, than a new build in a subdivision that's crammed together.  Yes the older house would require some updating, or fixing up, or extra maintenance, but it would be worth it to have a larger, treed lot. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13228 on: May 03, 2020, 11:17:16 am »
I think I would just choose an older house on an existing, larger lot, than a new build in a subdivision that's crammed together.  Yes the older house would require some updating, or fixing up, or extra maintenance, but it would be worth it to have a larger, treed lot.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/21504472/1471-berkshire-dr-kingston-42-city-northwest  This is a 40' x 120' lot just around the corner from me, it's $170,000.

My house sits on the corner of a very well treed lot over 3 times that size.   Too bad, in some ways, that I can't sever it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13229 on: May 03, 2020, 12:34:56 pm »
The little bungalows in my part of Guelph are slowly going away to be replaced by one or two houses on the same lot.    For instance we have a corner lot    75'  by 150'  with an 1100 sq ft 1954 bungalow on it!   Room for two big houses there and that may be what  happens when we leave.   It has happened recently ( in the last 3 years) on 3 similar sized lots within 1 Km.    It seems that nobody wants a big garden any more...or even a garder. Just a double garage and a deck big enough for a few people to have a drink and run a BBQ.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13230 on: May 03, 2020, 02:27:33 pm »
The little bungalows in my part of Guelph are slowly going away to be replaced by one or two houses on the same lot.    For instance we have a corner lot    75'  by 150'  with an 1100 sq ft 1954 bungalow on it!   Room for two big houses there and that may be what  happens when we leave.   It has happened recently ( in the last 3 years) on 3 similar sized lots within 1 Km.    It seems that nobody wants a big garden any more...or even a garder. Just a double garage and a deck big enough for a few people to have a drink and run a BBQ.

I always want enough room to store a decent sized RV in my backyard through the winter, which means access, either from a corner lot, or through the side.  Our next house will be bought with such consideration. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13231 on: May 03, 2020, 02:58:22 pm »
Just around the corner there is a house like mine on a corner lot with a big Airstream in the back yard.   Haven't seen it move for years...it might even be their motorhome, if so it might be slowly appreciating!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13232 on: May 04, 2020, 10:44:12 am »

Those lots also tend to be closer to more amenities and are more desirable in general, and pricing reflects that.

We got extremely lucky being able to find a house on a half acre lot for our budget. The lot size isn't completely unheard of in our area but it's not common, either. Yes, we have some typical old house "issues" but we also have old house features as well. Not to mention all the mature trees on and around the property.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: May 04, 2020, 11:34:53 am »

Those lots also tend to be closer to more amenities and are more desirable in general, and pricing reflects that.

We got extremely lucky being able to find a house on a half acre lot for our budget. The lot size isn't completely unheard of in our area but it's not common, either. Yes, we have some typical old house "issues" but we also have old house features as well. Not to mention all the mature trees on and around the property.

See, here in Winnipeg, the brand new houses on tiny lots in the new subdivisions go for a lot more money than older homes on larger lots.  I don't mind having an older home.  I'm handy and I can do a lot of the work that is required to bring them up to snuff.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13234 on: May 04, 2020, 11:41:53 am »
In the nicer old neighborhoods here you see backhoes coming in and 50's houses just get scooped up into the back of a dump truck. One (or two, or three!) modern houses get built on the same lot, usually maneuvering carefully around the existing trees

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13235 on: May 04, 2020, 11:45:05 am »
certain things you can't work around: 2x4 exterior walls (well you can but pricey). By the time you deal with thin walls, new windows and doors, new siding, new roof. Upgrading the electrical and plumbing throughout you might as wel start with a clean slate. Older homes also tend to have smaller rooms closed off which I prefer (but the general public does not.). I agree with RRocket a new home on old lot FTW.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: May 04, 2020, 11:55:29 am »
I don't mind the lack of space between neighbours in newer neighborhoods. As long as they are detached homes I'm good -I'm currently in a midunit townhome so anything detached is an upgrade. Also less yardwork and landscaping to do too.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13237 on: May 04, 2020, 12:14:49 pm »
certain things you can't work around: 2x4 exterior walls (well you can but pricey). By the time you deal with thin walls, new windows and doors, new siding, new roof. Upgrading the electrical and plumbing throughout you might as wel start with a clean slate. Older homes also tend to have smaller rooms closed off which I prefer (but the general public does not.). I agree with RRocket a new home on old lot FTW.
My mom’s house in Toronto , built 1950, brick and block, no 2*4
It will be a tear down , for only $1.5 million

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13238 on: May 07, 2020, 10:34:58 am »
A huge black bear.  Ran out in front of my while i was driving down a back road this morning.  Biggest one I've seen in a long time. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13239 on: May 07, 2020, 11:02:44 am »
A huge black bear.  Ran out in front of my while i was driving down a back road this morning.  Biggest one I've seen in a long time.

Funny timing, a guy at work just mentioned that there was a bear sighting in his neighborhood and it tore his neighbor's garbage all apart.

Reminded me of when I lived outside of the city, people would constantly warn everyone every time they saw a bear. We live in the woods in NB, of course there's bears around. Am I supposed to feel bad that every time I saw one I didn't let the local Facebook group know?  :P