Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3057305 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #12320 on: August 15, 2018, 08:39:28 pm »
 :rofl2:
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12321 on: August 15, 2018, 10:31:35 pm »
My kiddo has her beginners. So far she's only expressed interest in mini and the 500. I see some hard lessons in her future.

Introduce her to tge JCW or Abarth 500...
agreed

my R53 was possibly the best driving car I have owned, but hard to work on, and a little finnicky - but damn it flew around like on rails

the Abarth 500 is the hot hatch I would get these days...it just has so much character

good news is both are cheap if buying used, both HAVE to be had with a stick, and they are a lot of fun to drive around even at slow speeds - also easy to park and get used to sight-lines when practicing parallel parking etc.

again, great suggestions
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
^^Terrible suggestions for a first time driver, IMO. 

Especially considering their less than stellar reliability/build quality.  Which means SirO would likely be footing the bill... :rofl: :rofl2:  I'm thinking insurance will be more $$ too.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: August 15, 2018, 10:45:17 pm »
^^Terrible suggestions for a first time driver, IMO. 

Especially considering their less than stellar reliability/build quality.  Which means SirO would likely be footing the bill... :rofl: :rofl2:  I'm thinking insurance will be more $$ too.
meh, I say they will build character and knowledge.

Cant really beat them for price and fun to drive factor, plus they are very practical for hauling kegs....I mean textbooks around. Also, if things do break here and there, kiddo can get acquainted with the engine bay and know how a car works. Reliability is overrated anyways, live a little while you are young! Wait till you are old and cynical to get the CR-V or the Camry so you can die beige.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: August 15, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »

meh, I say they will build character and knowledge.

Cant really beat them for price and fun to drive factor, plus they are very practical for hauling kegs....I mean textbooks around. Also, if things do break here and there, kiddo can get acquainted with the engine bay and know how a car works. Reliability is overrated anyways, live a little while you are young! Wait till you are old and cynical to get the CR-V or the Camry so you can die beige.  ;D

Yea...get an unreliable car to build character being late for school and getting to work.  Awesome.  Especially when she likely won't be paying for it with her own money.  Character building indeed...just not the right kind.   ::)

Get the reliable car first, get through school and your jobs...then get a proper fun car.  FFS....you don't need a hot hatch or similar for a first time car owner.  You act like waiting until you're 21-22 to get said car and your life has already passed you by.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:17 pm »
but if you get the boring reliable car first, then they might grow up not enjoying driving, and then not being into cars because they are just a conveyance and an appliance to them...and then one day they will not be buying that manual car to keep them in the market, or not modifying that old classic 2003 RS6 or something

I have owned a plethora of unreliable cars my entire life, and the two that left me stranded were the GMs - the Grand Prix with its "reliable" 3.8L and the Saab, each once. Not the Alfa, not the Mini, not the Audi...

Meh, different life philosophies I guess between us, hope the kid grows up loving cars, no matter what is driven.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: August 15, 2018, 11:15:52 pm »
but if you get the boring reliable car first, then they might grow up not enjoying driving, and then not being into cars because they are just a conveyance and an appliance to them...and then one day they will not be buying that manual car to keep them in the market, or not modifying that old classic 2003 RS6 or something

Ridiculous.  I'd say the vast majority of people had a fairly tame "first" car...maybe even it was their folks car.  I drove reliable cars (Marquis) and econo boxes starting out...and those cars inspired me to work even harder and want to have my own hot car even more!  And I bought a brand spanking new Mustang GT at 22 year old.  And I don't feel like the first 6 years of my driving life have somehow been cheated.  My love of cars didn't die in the first 6 years.

If one is being VERY charitable, you could say the Abart is one of the hottest hatches avail.  And you recommend that to a first time driver for all your silly reasons.

Well did you have one of the hottest hatches at the time when you were 16?  What was the first car you were driving?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: August 16, 2018, 12:01:29 am »

Ridiculous.  I'd say the vast majority of people had a fairly tame "first" car...maybe even it was their folks car.  I drove reliable cars (Marquis) and econo boxes starting out...and those cars inspired me to work even harder and want to have my own hot car even more!  And I bought a brand spanking new Mustang GT at 22 year old.  And I don't feel like the first 6 years of my driving life have somehow been cheated.  My love of cars didn't die in the first 6 years.

If one is being VERY charitable, you could say the Abart is one of the hottest hatches avail.  And you recommend that to a first time driver for all your silly reasons.

Well did you have one of the hottest hatches at the time when you were 16?  What was the first car you were driving?

I started off with a Nissan pickup to learn how to drive on. Didn't make me loose interest in cars one bit when it was time to move on to something else.

It makes way more sense to start off with something sensible. A Mini as a first car? Really? If anything that will make them more likely to loose interest in car ownership.

And who cares if they don't end up enjoying driving. There has been research showing that car ownership and obtaining a driver's license is not a priority for teens as it once was.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12328 on: August 16, 2018, 03:13:20 am »
I drove fairly boring cars when I first got my drivers license, and that didn't extinguish my love of driving.

That said, who cares ? Really it's just a mode of transport, just a car. Wouldn't obsess over it. I'd toss them a recent Ford Fiesta or VW Golf. Just make sure it's 3 pedals.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: August 16, 2018, 06:41:58 am »
guess I was wrong, and yes it is just a car and a first car at that - VW Golf is a great choice too

my first car was one I wanted, a Pontiac Grand Prix GT (couldnt afford the GTP though) as I grew up in a GM family. Loved that car, didnt want to sell it.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #12330 on: August 16, 2018, 08:33:49 am »
Last night after dinner at a local restaurant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #12331 on: August 16, 2018, 02:09:15 pm »
Orange Viper

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »

Toyota Aristo and Lexus GS pair.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: August 16, 2018, 03:11:40 pm »
3 Alfa 4Cs getting PDI at the shop. All red...beautiful. Nearby were two Audi R8 V10s and a Nardo Blue B7 RS4.

On the way home, a Jag XJ V12 in perfect condition.

Was a good day.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #12334 on: August 17, 2018, 07:44:14 am »
Plymouth prowler in a parking lot near my office. What a strange but 😎 looking vehicle.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #12335 on: August 17, 2018, 08:00:14 am »
While cycling out in the country not one but two MB B250s driving together.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12336 on: August 20, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »
Last night after dinner at a local restaurant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotted one in what was essentially the same colour as my old Aerio - Suzuki called it Sapphire Blue metallic - it looked fantastic on the Ferrari.  A nice change from red or yellow.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #12337 on: August 20, 2018, 11:50:36 pm »
This is owned by one of the guys in my golf league, Citroen DS, he also has a 2CV, and a Volt, lol! This was at the driving range before our game today.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: August 21, 2018, 12:18:40 am »
I’d love a ride in that DS!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12339 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:13 am »
My single biggest automotive regret was not getting a beautifully restored DS21 when I had the chance. I was still in university and I didn't have anyplace to store it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken