Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3057369 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #12260 on: August 08, 2018, 01:59:35 pm »
^ Dad had an '84 in black with a red interior. 3.8L and three speed automatic. Beastly.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #12261 on: August 08, 2018, 04:09:59 pm »
^ Dad had an '84 in black with a red interior. 3.8L and three speed automatic. Beastly.  ;D

They weren't fun until the 5.0 was installed. 

I used to work in a factory that made bug deflectors.  Always thought they were a great way to ruin your car's aerodynamics.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12262 on: August 08, 2018, 04:28:08 pm »
Yeah, the LTD LX with the 5.0L was not bad at the time, certainly more poke than the weedy 3.8L.

I remember Bob Bondurant's driving school had some where they swapped the stock LX 5.0L for the Mustang GT's V8 and manual transmission. One of the magazines did a write-up.

They were both Fox platforms, so a lot of parts could be swapped over easily enough.  I thought that was the ultimate sleeper, at least at the time.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: August 08, 2018, 04:32:32 pm »
Weirdly enough Canada got a Mercury variant of the LTD LX that was only sold here and only for one year. Less than a 150 made of those. The LTD LX Very cool concept but seems to be a mostly forgotten these days - perhaps overshadowed by the SHO later.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12264 on: August 08, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »
Yeah, the LTD LX with the 5.0L was not bad at the time, certainly more poke than the weedy 3.8L.

I remember Bob Bondurant's driving school had some where they swapped the stock LX 5.0L for the Mustang GT's V8 and manual transmission. One of the magazines did a write-up.

They were both Fox platforms, so a lot of parts could be swapped over easily enough.  I thought that was the ultimate sleeper, at least at the time.

Probably the lack of a manual transmission and the fact that the V8 had the same power levels as a decent 4 banger these days. I would love to have one to mod the ever loving crap of.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #12265 on: August 10, 2018, 08:14:43 am »
Didn't get a chance to snap a pic, but walking to the office this morning from my parking spot, I saw a black R8 convertible with the V10... sounded glorious bouncing of the buildings in the downtown core  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: August 10, 2018, 09:25:45 am »
On the way to the driving range last I saw a gorgeous white LC500.

I love the side profile.  Reminds me of a mid 90's Japanese sports car, like a Supra or 300zx.

I gave the driver a nod, pretty sure he thought I was crazy.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12267 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:58 am »

Got to work the other day...  and this....

I'm now parked where the black car was, guess he forgot to set his parking brake and voila.
Now, the kid with the black car is a major screwup, DUIs, minor drug stuff, etc.  so the insurance is in his girlfriend's name and he wants to pay to fix it without his name showing up on any paperwork.  My buddy who's van got crunched is a really nice guy and is going along with this.

Not horrible, luckily his wheels were turned or there would have been more sheet metal damage.

The kid's car  :o
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: August 11, 2018, 10:38:21 am »

Got to work the other day...  and this....

I'm now parked where the black car was, guess he forgot to set his parking brake and voila.
Now, the kid with the black car is a major screwup, DUIs, minor drug stuff, etc.  so the insurance is in his girlfriend's name and he wants to pay to fix it without his name showing up on any paperwork.  My buddy who's van got crunched is a really nice guy and is going along with this.

Not horrible, luckily his wheels were turned or there would have been more sheet metal damage.

The kid's car  :o
D'oh!!!!!! You wonder when a kid like that will get his sh!t together, if ever? All that crap in his car & how he takes care of it show no pride! My first car I wore the paint off by washing it so much, lol! I see kids like that all the time, and then I see these great kids too... I know with my 2 & the GF's son as well, we're on them about being contributing members of society, not burdens or a nuisance. And to always show respect to others, especially adults.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12269 on: August 11, 2018, 11:13:55 am »
that Civic's interior makes me want to  :hurl:

I would not want to talk to that kid....ever. If his car is like that, just imagine what the rest of his life is like. Take pride in yourself ffs.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12270 on: August 11, 2018, 11:29:54 am »

D'oh!!!!!! You wonder when a kid like that will get his sh!t together, if ever?

He's being given a chance here, we'll see how it goes.

He works cleaning the mixing area at work, it's the crappiest, dirtiest job you can get here and still pays crap. 
You would think things could only get better from that point, but over the years many have proven that wrong.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #12271 on: August 12, 2018, 07:27:31 am »
We kept seeing this thing while we were away last week in Nova Scotia.  Seemed they were interested in the same things as us.  :)
There was a family of 6 traveling in this thing!  :o  Anyway, lovely family from Quebec and they were having lots of fun, so big thumbs up for that!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: August 12, 2018, 07:31:20 am »

D'oh!!!!!! You wonder when a kid like that will get his sh!t together, if ever?

He's being given a chance here, we'll see how it goes.

He works cleaning the mixing area at work, it's the crappiest, dirtiest job you can get here and still pays crap. 
You would think things could only get better from that point, but over the years many have proven that wrong.

I'm all for chances, that's great and I love to see people succeed! Even though I have never met the joker, I hope he makes something out of this opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:27 am »
We kept seeing this thing while we were away last week in Nova Scotia.  Seemed they were interested in the same things as us.  :)
There was a family of 6 traveling in this thing!  :o  Anyway, lovely family from Quebec and they were having lots of fun, so big thumbs up for that!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

That thing is awesome. Now way my wife would step into through.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12274 on: August 12, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »
for my wife, that is her ideal first home - burlap curtains and all.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: August 12, 2018, 03:43:38 pm »
^Is she a fan of "Jeepers Creepers'?  ;D

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #12276 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:13 am »
Spotted two older ladies (late 60's or so) in a bright green, two door wrangler with the roof and doors removed. I hope I can be that cool when I am their age!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #12277 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:58 am »
This morning the city added 'pylons' on a road in my sub-division. Something like this but with the speed limit on it.

One on the yellow line and one on the white line which separates live lane and parking.

About 6 months ago they had those digital you are going this fast speed signs installed. Obviously people complaining about the speed and how people drive. I have the same issues on my street.

But why does a road that you can't shouldn't drive fast on, has blind corners, and children playing need to be 50 kph! So instead of just reducing the limit (it should be 40 max IMO) they just keep adding road furniture.

I might have to write the city and ask when are they going to install those on my street as people just drive on both sides as they are too lazy and shitty driver they can't manage to stay on their side.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12278 on: August 13, 2018, 12:26:29 pm »
Generally speaking, urban streets are 50. That's a pretty standard limit and affair worldwide. The point of putting "road furniture" is to visually force drivers to slow down by making it uncomfortable to drive faster.

Here in Europe, it's very normal for agglomerations and towns to put in a narrow chicane right at the city limits and put up signs in the median.

1. The drivers cannot proceed in a straight line and thus, must slow.
2. a visually cramped street makes people slow. Putting stuff in the centre or on the sides deters speeding.

I think point 2 is what cities try to achieve by putting up a pylon in the centre, because actually changing road design costs money.

That said, if it's really residential perhaps it should be one of those Zone 30s......and then you put speed tables that force people to slow down  ;) *thunk.....thunk*

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #12279 on: August 13, 2018, 12:42:54 pm »
Changing the speed limit without changing the design of the road is not going to change most people's behaviour.