Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3057422 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #12200 on: July 17, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »
^^Same car but with an I-6.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12201 on: July 17, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »

Ohhh, cool. That makes it even more attractive.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: July 17, 2018, 05:51:06 pm »

No.

I was heavy and handled like a turd compared to the 4 banger version.

It was unloved.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: July 17, 2018, 05:54:27 pm »

No.

It was unloved.

But...but....moar power??  :'( :'(

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12204 on: July 17, 2018, 05:54:32 pm »
There was also the MGB GT V8 that used the aluminum Rover (via Buick) V8.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: July 17, 2018, 05:56:22 pm »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: July 17, 2018, 06:04:41 pm »
It was a pretty compact and relatively light engine. Worked well in that application, 3.5L IIRC. A lot more reliable than any of the BMC sourced engines. Not really a powerhouse, but it's a light car.

I don't think many (any?) made it across the pond. They do turn up at car shows every once in a while.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: July 17, 2018, 06:06:51 pm »
It was a pretty compact and relatively light engine. Worked well in that application, 3.5L IIRC. A lot more reliable than any of the BMC sourced engines. Not really a powerhouse, but it's a light car.

I don't think many (any?) made it across the pond. They do turn up at car shows every once in a while.

Its a Buick V8, I'm sure that Summit Racing can fix all its shortcomings and get another 100hp out of it for under $30  ;D

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #12208 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:09 pm »
Saw another RX-8 at the local Staples. It's actually a 40th Anni edition.

And on my way back, there was a Civic Si that was revving at me at the stop light, LOL. I just lightly chuckled to myself. It actually doesn't look riced at all, but I think the dude stalled it when the light turned green. Initially thought he just wanted to hear me rev as well and I saw his left turn signal on in the mirror, but seeing how he caught up to me at the next intersection, I think he just messed up and stalled.

For reference: I don't street race because the ticket's expensive, and a nearly stock RX-8 is not that fast anyway. If someone looks like they are challenging me, I usually purposefully drive less hard and shift earlier.

The first time I took my roadster for a drive some a few weeks ago knob in a Z4 pulled in behind me and started running up behind me back and forth.  It was on one of our main streets with a 50km/h limit and lots of traffic.  He had his girl partner in with him as well.  I was embarrassed for him.   ::)
You know what they say: the smallest dogs bark the most fiercely.

The way I see it, racing a rotary car is like beating up a disabled person. There is no winning. If you win, congrats! You beat a car with a 1.3L engine and proved nothing. If you lose, you are pathetic for losing to a car with a 1.3L engine, LOL.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: July 17, 2018, 07:15:25 pm »

And on my way back, there was a Civic Si that was revving at me at the stop light, LOL. I just lightly chuckled to myself. It actually doesn't look riced at all, but I think the dude stalled it when the light turned green. Initially thought he just wanted to hear me rev as well and I saw his left turn signal on in the mirror, but seeing how he caught up to me at the next intersection, I think he just messed up and stalled.

For reference: I don't street race because the ticket's expensive, and a nearly stock RX-8 is not that fast anyway. If someone looks like they are challenging me, I usually purposefully drive less hard and shift earlier.

The first time I took my roadster for a drive some a few weeks ago knob in a Z4 pulled in behind me and started running up behind me back and forth.  It was on one of our main streets with a 50km/h limit and lots of traffic.  He had his girl partner in with him as well.  I was embarrassed for him.   ::)

The way I see it, racing a rotary car is like beating up a disabled person. There is no winning. If you win, congrats! You beat a car with a 1.3L engine and proved nothing. If you lose, you are pathetic for losing to a car with a 1.3L engine, LOL.

Though I suppose it depends how you measure it....some countries classify it as a 2.6 (Europe, UK, some racing series IIRC)....and someone else technically said...I forget who....it was a 3.9 based on measurements of swept faces, power strokes, etc etc. !

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12210 on: July 17, 2018, 07:34:07 pm »

Like this one that was at All British Car Day here on Saturday.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: July 17, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »
^ Yes!

I still love the look of the MGB GT. The V8 just makes it better.  IIRC it wasn't much heavier than the four banger.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #12212 on: July 17, 2018, 09:00:53 pm »

My bil when i was a kid had a late 60s Rover with the 3.5V8.  I remember going to Montreal in it when i was about 8 and it was quite a trip.  He was a fast driver and it was quite a car compared to most of the 70s NA junk around at the time.  It was BRG and had the boot mounted spare like this one...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12213 on: July 17, 2018, 10:28:42 pm »
Cool car!

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #12214 on: July 18, 2018, 12:29:02 am »

Though I suppose it depends how you measure it....some countries classify it as a 2.6 (Europe, UK, some racing series IIRC)....and someone else technically said...I forget who....it was a 3.9 based on measurements of swept faces, power strokes, etc etc. !
It's still 1.3L.

The definition of displacement is how much an engine displaces from TDC(minimum volume) to BDC(maximum volume). The difference between the TDC and BDC is 654cc per rotor, so with 2 rotors you get 1308cc.

For emission purposes some place do consider it to be 2.6L, and given the amount of emission a rotary emits, that's actually pretty generous.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: July 18, 2018, 06:58:28 am »

It's still 1.3L.

The definition of displacement is how much an engine displaces from TDC(minimum volume) to BDC(maximum volume). The difference between the TDC and BDC is 654cc per rotor, so with 2 rotors you get 1308cc.

For emission purposes some place do consider it to be 2.6L, and given the amount of emission a rotary emits, that's actually pretty generous.

Yes.

But you're forgetting (or omitting) that in a typical 4 stroke piston engine, you need 720 degrees of crank rotation to get full volume. The rotary achieves full volume in 360 degrees. So a rotary traveling the same 720 degrees equals 1.3 x 2 = 2.6l

That's how they get that emission measurement (and some racing bodies use that method too).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:07:17 am by rrocket »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12216 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:49 am »

No.

It was unloved.

But...but....moar power??  :'( :'(
Not much. Plenty more torque though.  It was the Healey 3000 engine and. It weighed a ton. I am not sure about this but IIRC the overdrive unit used on the 4 Cyl MGB wasn't strong enough to cope with that torque for long.

The MGB V8 was a different matter as the V8 was actually lighter than the B-series 4 cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

My bil when i was a kid had a late 60s Rover with the 3.5V8.  I remember going to Montreal in it when i was about 8 and it was quite a trip.  He was a fast driver and it was quite a car compared to most of the 70s NA junk around at the time.  It was BRG and had the boot mounted spare like this one...

With knowledge based on British television alone, I can only assume your bil was chief inspector of the Met police.  ;D

They were a very cool car.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12218 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:08 am »

A friend of a friend has one...I have never met the guy but he and my buddy go off to meets a coupld of times a year...In fact they went to one in Ohio just a week ago.   But I believe his was built from a  regular MGB and a junkyard engine in Canada, not a brought over the pond one.    Supposedly it is reliable but some of the ancillary stuff , not so much.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:11 pm »
^ I believe that was the case for the few that I've seen. Regular four cylinder MGB GT with the 3.5 swapped out of a donor car.