Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3058057 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #11640 on: February 07, 2018, 10:49:15 am »
Or that her peripheral vision might be impaired?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #11641 on: February 07, 2018, 06:28:14 pm »
Heading to work this morning on a greasy 4-lane road that starts with a big hill with a curve.  Three cars in the right lane, struggling to get up the incline.  Me: sailing right by on the left.  Less than 1 km later, everyone is in the left lane, because the right isn't really clear.  I take the right, and sail by everyone on the left, grinning like mad. 

The best part was outrunning everyone from a standing start at lights.  Burning a Land Rover was especially sweet.

I have no idea why I turn into a 12 year-old when it snows.   :D 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: February 07, 2018, 06:55:02 pm »
Because 3 letters.

AWD.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11643 on: February 07, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »
Heading to work this morning on a greasy 4-lane road that starts with a big hill with a curve.  Three cars in the right lane, struggling to get up the incline.  Me: sailing right by on the left.  Less than 1 km later, everyone is in the left lane, because the right isn't really clear.  I take the right, and sail by everyone on the left, grinning like mad. 

The best part was outrunning everyone from a standing start at lights.  Burning a Land Rover was especially sweet.

You haven't forgotten how to have fun.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11644 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:15 pm »
Because 3 letters.

AWD.

It took a few years to convince her.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11645 on: February 08, 2018, 11:28:39 am »
So yesterday we had a major snowstorm that eventually turned into rain, then followed by a flash freeze, which has been a regular patter here this winter.  The rain penetrated the fist few inches of snow and the subsequent freeze turned that layer into the consistency of cement by this morning. 

I use a roof rake to clean off the cap of my truck and this morning i had to pull as hard as possible to get it loose.  I don't have any racks on my cap so it came off in one huge layer that probably weighed a couple of hundred pounds.  Seeing this I knew it would be a bad day for ice coming off vehicles that were not cleaned off properly, so in other words most vehicles on the road, and especially transport trucks.   :P

With this scenario in mind i was passing a Hyundai Tuscon on the highway a few minutes ago when the entire chunk of snow cement came flying off his roof just as i was on his rear quarter.  A piece of it hit my a-pillar with a huge crash.  If it had hit the windshield it likely would have done some damage.  Shortly after that a transport truck merged onto the highway in front of me with a thick layer of ice on top of the trailer, so i slowed way down and gave him lots of space.  There was a pickup truck between me and the transport truck and he was driving only a few car lengths from the truck.  As the transport got up to speed small chucks of ice starting coming off and gradually getting larger.  The pickup following behind finally clued in to what was going on slowed down to give him more space.  Sure enough shortly after a gigantic layer of snow cement came flying off the roof of the transport and landed on the highway in front of us and almost caused us to lose control.  If that had hit a vehicle it would have been really nasty! 

I wont even go near any of my radio sites today as the ice coming off the towers would be deadly!  :o
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:18:48 pm by KD »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #11646 on: February 08, 2018, 11:34:12 am »
I wont even go near any of my radio sites today as the ice coming off the towers would be deadly!  :o

Yeah, much more than a hard-hat would be required  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »
Because 3 letters.

AWD.

Yup, that's pretty much it!   ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:33 pm »
You haven't forgotten how to have fun.

This car is making me remember!

It took a few years to convince her.  ;D

:rofl2:  One car!  C'mon.   ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: February 08, 2018, 07:59:05 pm »
So yesterday we had a major snowstorm that eventually turned into rain, then followed by a flash freeze, which has been a regular patter here this winter.  The rain penetrated the fist few inches of snow and the subsequent freeze turned that layer into the consistency of cement by this morning. 

I use a roof rake to clean off the cap of my truck and this morning i had to pull as hard as possible to get it loose.  I don't have any racks on my cap so it came off in one huge layer that probably weighed a couple of hundred pounds.  Seeing this I knew it would be a bad day for ice coming off vehicles that were not cleaned off properly, so in other words most vehicles on the road, and especially transport trucks.   :P

With this scenario in mind i was passing a Hyundai Tuscon on the highway a few minutes ago when the entire chunk of snow cement came flying off his roof just as i was on his rear quarter.  A piece of it hit my a-pillar with a huge crash.  If it had hit the windshield it likely would have done some damage.  Shortly after that a transport truck merged onto the highway in front of me with a thick layer of ice on top of the trailer, so i slowed way down and gave him lots of space.  There was a pickup truck between me and the transport truck and he was driving only a few car lengths from the truck.  As the transport got up to speed small chucks of ice starting coming off and gradually getting larger.  The pickup following behind finally clued in to what was going on slowed down to give him more space.  Sure enough shortly after a gigantic layer of snow cement came flying off the roof of the transport and landed on the highway in front of us and almost caused us to lose control.  If that had hit a vehicle it would have been really nasty! 

Don't you love how the benefit of experience keeps you safe?  Some people call me overly cautious.  I prefer to think of myself as blessed with predictive vision.   ;)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: February 08, 2018, 08:12:33 pm »
The Santa Fe wasn't AWD?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11651 on: February 08, 2018, 08:51:56 pm »
On the way home from work as I'm getting off the 401 I see something weird on the eastbound on-ramp, a truck hauling one of those huge windmill vanes appears to be getting off the 401 the wrong way and is backwards on the on-ramp.  The  ramp tees onto a 2 lane county road and isn't that wide at the end, so there is no way he would be able to get around the corner and onto the road.  The police had the on-ramp blocked of course, but I don't know what they were trying.
A couple months ago one got stuck on a nearby roundabout.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:50 pm »
^apparently it's still there.

This was earlier, looks like he's now trying to back this thing up, unsuccessfully.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:59:05 pm by blur911 »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11653 on: February 09, 2018, 01:06:44 am »

:thumbup:

I miss the Subarus when the roads are covered. They're always covered.

Even studded snow tires on the Passat still doesn't compare to four snow tires and a good AWD system.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11654 on: February 09, 2018, 07:00:34 am »
On the way home from work as I'm getting off the 401 I see something weird on the eastbound on-ramp, a truck hauling one of those huge windmill vanes appears to be getting off the 401 the wrong way and is backwards on the on-ramp.  The  ramp tees onto a 2 lane county road and isn't that wide at the end, so there is no way he would be able to get around the corner and onto the road.  The police had the on-ramp blocked of course, but I don't know what they were trying.
A couple months ago one got stuck on a nearby roundabout.

Are they installing new ones in the area ?
Which ramp ?

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11655 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:08 am »

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:52 am »
^apparently it's still there.

This was earlier, looks like he's now trying to back this thing up, unsuccessfully.

That's crazy!   :o

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #11657 on: February 09, 2018, 07:27:58 am »

:thumbup:

I miss the Subarus when the roads are covered. They're always covered.

Even studded snow tires on the Passat still doesn't compare to four snow tires and a good AWD system.

Time to join me in the 4motion world of golfs?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11658 on: February 09, 2018, 08:22:54 am »
^I'm pretty sure I'm going back to AWD with the next car. I've been pretty happy with VW so far, looked at the Atlas a few times, and I quite like it. Could use more sound deadening though, and it's far larger than I really need.

Haven't looked at the new Tig or the Golf wagon yet.

Or Golf R.  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #11659 on: February 09, 2018, 08:53:10 am »
Yup: AWD isn't mandatory, but it is for my preferences.

Frau, can't believe you went all this time with a FWD CUV and didn't say anything while we bashed them left-right-and-centre ;D