Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3056178 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #13500 on: November 15, 2020, 10:10:18 am »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #13501 on: November 15, 2020, 07:54:55 pm »
Project8. Got to test drive it for PDI.

Holy :censor:.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Very cool car, but why would they let take it for a test drive?
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13502 on: November 15, 2020, 08:00:28 pm »
A test drive is part of the PDI process to get the car ready for customers. I drove it for about 5 mins, just to make sure alignment was good, no drivetrain issues, etc. We do a test drive for all new vehicles, as well as all customer cars that go into the shop.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #13503 on: November 15, 2020, 08:13:00 pm »
A test drive is part of the PDI process to get the car ready for customers. I drove it for about 5 mins, just to make sure alignment was good, no drivetrain issues, etc. We do a test drive for all new vehicles, as well as all customer cars that go into the shop.
I get the point of a PDI, but aren't you a service advisor? I have never heard of a anybody other than the tech who is doing the PDI take a car for the test drive. Also being a dealer trade, the other dealer should have already done the PDI.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #13504 on: November 15, 2020, 08:39:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoz1AMkjOuA

So good.

Thanks for posting that - subscribed to Harry's channel based on that clip - classy, quality presentation.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13505 on: November 15, 2020, 10:05:56 pm »
I get the point of a PDI, but aren't you a service advisor? I have never heard of a anybody other than the tech who is doing the PDI take a car for the test drive. Also being a dealer trade, the other dealer should have already done the PDI.
We do PDI rechecks on every vehicle that comes in, and this one warranted one because it had been sitting for a while in a showroom. Full PDI if it is about to be bought by a VIP.

I did it because all the techs were busy, we dont have a tower operator who usually does the PDI test drives (recently fired and no rehire as of yet), and I was owed a little bonus after helping out with some shop stuff.

Our techs can do the test drives, but they would rather stay at their hoist where they make more money. Tower or apprentices do the test drives, and failing that, service advisors with some extra time.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13506 on: November 16, 2020, 10:27:50 am »
We do PDI rechecks on every vehicle that comes in, and this one warranted one because it had been sitting for a while in a showroom. Full PDI if it is about to be bought by a VIP.

I did it because all the techs were busy, we dont have a tower operator who usually does the PDI test drives (recently fired and no rehire as of yet), and I was owed a little bonus after helping out with some shop stuff.

Our techs can do the test drives, but they would rather stay at their hoist where they make more money. Tower or apprentices do the test drives, and failing that, service advisors with some extra time.

I think what he's saying is, everyone 'PDI'd it.  :rofl2:

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13507 on: November 16, 2020, 11:59:16 pm »

I think what he's saying is, everyone 'PDI'd it.  :rofl2:
Not really a PDI but a little joy ride.  ::)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13508 on: November 24, 2020, 10:05:59 am »
Just took this into the shop. Big cat growls.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:22:27 am by ChaosphereIX »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13509 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:00 am »
Damn, that's a sweet ride.

This morning I saw a car pulled over.  Not interesting in its own right, but around the entire perimeter of the car was a pile of snow.  Presumably the dumbass was pulled over because they hadn't properly cleared their car.  I am all for this.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13510 on: November 24, 2020, 10:23:20 am »
I am all for this too. Saw some today with mounds of snow on their vehicle, flying off as they drove along. asshats

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13511 on: November 24, 2020, 04:00:51 pm »
Just saw an SLK with the top down. At -3°C. Sun was in my face but I think the passenger was a Xmas tree. Car was red. Wait, did I just see Santa?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13512 on: November 24, 2020, 06:15:19 pm »
Just saw an SLK with the top down. At -3°C. Sun was in my face but I think the passenger was a Xmas tree. Car was red. Wait, did I just see Santa?

Poor bastard  :rofl2:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13513 on: December 22, 2020, 11:43:18 am »
My heart sank when I saw this pic.  Accident on SR347, south of Phoenix.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13514 on: December 22, 2020, 12:32:22 pm »
Damn. Trying to figure out what that car is - I think final-gen Versa Sedan is about right.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #13515 on: December 22, 2020, 12:39:01 pm »
Damn. Trying to figure out what that car is - I think final-gen Versa Sedan is about right.

I think it looks more like a coupe of some sort.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13516 on: December 22, 2020, 12:42:51 pm »

I think it looks more like a coupe of some sort.

Update: car interior now covered by a sheet.  I suspect there's a fatality.  :(

Update 2: fatality confirmed by media.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:54:07 pm by Bubba »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: December 22, 2020, 01:22:43 pm »
Oh well. People die every day all over the world.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #13518 on: December 22, 2020, 01:51:47 pm »
True, but it's rare to see the results on a traffic cam.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: December 22, 2020, 02:17:44 pm »
Oh well. People die every day all over the world.

Would you say that over in the Covid thread ? :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata