Author Topic: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread  (Read 3056855 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Interesting things seen on the way to work thread
« Reply #12780 on: May 24, 2019, 07:58:28 am »
Not on the way to work but helped a family that was broken down last night.  We were on our way home from the restaurant when I noticed a car broken down on the roadside and three people staring under the hood.  I could tell from a glance they weren't from around here and that they had no idea what they were looking at, so I turned around and asked them what the problem was.  The young girl was the driver and the only one that spoke English.  After probing her with questions it was obvious that she filled her car with diesel at the station a few Kms from where the car died.    :P

She broke down a few feet from a nice wide driveway, so I went in to ask the owner if they minded if the car was left there overnight until she could have it towed to the mechanic that she has used in the past and the owner agreed.  She didn't even know how to put the car in neutral in order to push it so the home owner jumped in and maneuvered it while the rest of us pushed. 

She asked how much the repair would be and I said it definitely would not be cheap but I have no idea.  She then called a friend to pick her up but was not available so said she would call a cab instead.  I offered to drive them home and they were actually quite stunned with the offer but accepted.  It was only a few Kms away so no big deal.  Turns out she is a med-student at our local University. 

This is the second time I have helped a med-student with their car breakdowns.  Last time was a guy in a parking lot that was struggling to get a spare tire on his Volvo wagon.  We pulled in to take our dog for a walk and I noticed him with the flat and reading through the manual trying to figure out how to work the jack that was sitting beside him.  When we came back from our walk he was still there with the car in the air trying to loosen the lug nuts while wrenching it clockwise.  It was obvious he didn't have a clue.  I went over and told him to lower the car and wrench it ccw to loosen the nuts and walked him through the rest of the steps.  I wasn't going to do it for him as he was a lot younger than me, and well, life lesson.

I found out he was an intern when I ran into him a few weeks later at our local hospital and he was wearing his smock.  We talked for a bit and he thanked me again for the help.  I didn't ask his field of specialty but I hope it doesn't require mechanical aptitude.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:03:56 am by KD »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #12781 on: May 24, 2019, 08:09:06 am »
Not on the way to work but helped a family that was broken down last night.  We were on our way home from the restaurant when I noticed a car broken down on the roadside and three people staring under the hood.  I could tell from a glance they weren't from around here and that they had no idea what they were looking at, so I turned around and asked them what the problem was.  The young girl was the driver and the only one that spoke English.  After probing her with questions it was obvious that she filled her car with diesel at the station a few Kms from where the car died.    :P

She broke down a few feet from a nice wide driveway, so I went in to ask the owner if they minded if the car was left there overnight until she could have it towed to the mechanic that she has used in the past and the owner agreed.  She didn't even know how to put the car in neutral in order to push it so the home owner jumped in and maneuvered it while the rest of us pushed. 

She asked how much the repair would be and I said it definitely would not be cheap but I have no idea.  She then called a friend to pick her up but was not available so said she would call a cab instead.  I offered to drive them home and they were actually quite stunned with the offer but accepted.  It was only a few Kms away so no big deal.  Turns out she is a med-student at our local University. 

This is the second time I have helped a med-student with their car breakdowns.  Last time was a guy in a parking lot that was struggling to get a spare tire on his Volvo wagon.  We pulled in to take our dog for a walk and I noticed him with the flat and reading through the manual trying to figure out how to work the jack that was sitting beside him.  When we came back from our walk he was still there with the car in the air trying to loosen the lug nuts while wrenching it clockwise.  It was obvious he didn't have a clue.  I went over and told him to lower the car and wrench it ccw to loosen the nuts and walked him through the rest of the steps.  I wasn't going to do it for him as he was a lot younger than me, and well, life lesson.

I found out he was an intern when I ran into him a few weeks later at our local hospital and he was wearing his smock.  We talked for a bit and he thanked me again for the help.  I didn't ask his field of specialty but I hope it doesn't require mechanical aptitude.  ;D

:thumbup: :thumbup: - for your helping out, and then  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: for them not knowing the difference between regular gas & diesel  :banghead:  and not knowing lefty loosey, righty tighty  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: May 24, 2019, 08:18:23 am »

:thumbup: :thumbup: - for your helping out, and then  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: for them not knowing the difference between regular gas & diesel  :banghead:  and not knowing lefty loosey, righty tighty  :rofl:

My friend's daughter put gas in her mother's diesel Jetta a few months after the car was new and it cost over $20k to fix.  They put it through insurance.  Not sure if it will be that expensive for diesel in a gas car but definitely won't be a cheap repair. 

Really dumb thing to do but I've seen it happen quite a few times at work.  We starting hiring contractors to deploy generators and there has been a few instances of gas being filled in diesels gens a few times since.  That's a case of you get what you pay for.   ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: May 24, 2019, 08:37:49 am »
My friend's daughter put gas in her mother's diesel Jetta a few months after the car was new and it cost over $20k to fix.  They put it through insurance.  Not sure if it will be that expensive for diesel in a gas car but definitely won't be a cheap repair. 

Really dumb thing to do but I've seen it happen quite a few times at work.  We starting hiring contractors to deploy generators and there has been a few instances of gas being filled in diesels gens a few times since.  That's a case of you get what you pay for.   ;D

I'm scared that once my kids start driving they might end up putting gas in the JGC instead of diesel  >:(  So far I'm the only one who ever fuels it up, so it's on me if I f-up  :rofl2:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12784 on: May 24, 2019, 08:53:57 am »

I'm scared that once my kids start driving they might end up putting gas in the JGC instead of diesel  >:(  So far I'm the only one who ever fuels it up, so it's on me if I f-up  :rofl2:

I thought the nozzle didn't fit to put gas in a diesel, but not the other way around.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #12785 on: May 24, 2019, 09:00:18 am »

I thought the nozzle didn't fit to put gas in a diesel, but not the other way around.

It's the other way around.  The Diesel nozzle is bigger, therefore doesn't fit in a gas car.  Not sure how that lady managed to put diesel in her gas car. 

it's possible the capless nozzles are bigger?  I dunno.  I've never had a car with a capless nozzle.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: May 24, 2019, 09:19:17 am »

It's the other way around.  The Diesel nozzle is bigger, therefore doesn't fit in a gas car.  Not sure how that lady managed to put diesel in her gas car. 

it's possible the capless nozzles are bigger?  I dunno.  I've never had a car with a capless nozzle.

Yup, you have it correct diesel is the bigger nozzle. I have a capless on the JGC, but it's diesel, so I'm no help in regards to whether a capless on a gas car is bigger  :rofl2:

My buddies company have a few ecodiesel Ram's & apparently they had a couple of "ooops" moments where gas was put in & even driven off... he said the repairs were minimal & they remain in the fleet running strong  ???

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12787 on: May 24, 2019, 11:14:59 am »

Not sure either so i asked to see a receipt to be certain but she didn't have one.  I then asked her if she used the green nozzle or the blue one and she was certain it was the green one, which is diesel.  Weird too because there is only the one pump at that station that has diesel, like most others around here. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12788 on: May 24, 2019, 06:18:36 pm »
Holy crap.  How could you not know how to put a car in neutral???  And that there are different types of fuel?  I don't understand.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #12789 on: May 24, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
A car's floor mat.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:13 pm »
Holy crap.  How could you not know how to put a car in neutral???  And that there are different types of fuel?  I don't understand.

Med students...not mechanical engineers.  They can probably put a heart valve in though...I'm sure I'd be no good at that.  Or prescribe medication for an itch at the very least. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: May 25, 2019, 01:01:47 am »

Med students...not mechanical engineers.  They can probably put a heart valve in though...I'm sure I'd be no good at that.  Or prescribe medication for an itch at the very least.
Airheads.....if you can't distinguish the words "DIESEL" and "GASOLINE" I sure wouldn't want her reading my medical chart....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12792 on: May 25, 2019, 01:17:35 am »
You are operating a 2 ton vehicle on public roads. You should know how your vehicle operates before you drive it on the road.

That is logical and goes for all machines you operate, or anything in life really. It is just prudent to know how it works, and how to maintain it and keep it going, before you use it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12793 on: May 25, 2019, 01:24:26 am »

[/quote]Airheads.....if you can't distinguish the words "DIESEL" and "GASOLINE" I sure wouldn't want her reading my medical chart....
[/quote]

THIS.  SO.  MUCH.  THIS.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: May 25, 2019, 06:55:23 am »

Airheads.....if you can't distinguish the words "DIESEL" and "GASOLINE" I sure wouldn't want her reading my medical chart....
[/quote]

THIS.  SO.  MUCH.  THIS.
[/quote]

My first thought after she told me she was med.   ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #12795 on: May 27, 2019, 09:27:35 am »
Not on the way to work...but yesterday, we were in Wpg and at a stoplight, and every car was black, white, or some shade of the two.  Weirdest thing ever.  10-12 cars stopped to our left...all but one was black/white/grey.  Across the road coming towards us...90% black & white. To the right...what?  Yup, more of the same.  We made the left turn, 2 white, 3 black and 1 grey vehicle in the Starbucks coffee drive-thru.  I swear, if there was 50 cars all told, 40+ of them were B&W.  Does no one buy colour anymore? 

Drove past a dealer, back row of trucks...nothing but black and white.  Talk about dystopian... :P ::)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #12796 on: May 27, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »
Not on the way to work...but yesterday, we were in Wpg and at a stoplight, and every car was black, white, or some shade of the two.  Weirdest thing ever.  10-12 cars stopped to our left...all but one was black/white/grey.  Across the road coming towards us...90% black & white. To the right...what?  Yup, more of the same.  We made the left turn, 2 white, 3 black and 1 grey vehicle in the Starbucks coffee drive-thru.  I swear, if there was 50 cars all told, 40+ of them were B&W.  Does no one buy colour anymore? 

Drove past a dealer, back row of trucks...nothing but black and white.  Talk about dystopian... :P ::)

You have to buy a Fiat 500 these days to get a choice of colours.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12797 on: May 27, 2019, 12:22:01 pm »
All the initial batch of GLIs brought in to both Winnipeg dealers  and the one in Regina were all black.

Looking around the new car lot at all three dealers, it's a sea of white, black, silver/grey and an occasional actual colour here and there.

I freely admit, I'm part of the problem.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: May 27, 2019, 01:01:18 pm »

In the Walmart parking lot. A classic Mercedes based camper that appears to be on a road trip from Chile. Impressive!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #12799 on: May 27, 2019, 01:02:00 pm »
I see the same all the time and I'm one of the people who prefer color every time I can get one (red and blue at the moment). But since the vast majority of the people prefer black/white/silver/gray manufacturers adapt to the demand.

White is the only non-color I would go for when no other choice is available; maybe some darker shades of gray as a backup. Some cars look OK in white too with contrast coming from various trim pieces (black or silver) so I can leave with that but, given the choice, I would go for color every time and would not mind some bright colors at all.