Author Topic: First car indesicion  (Read 6823 times)

Holly

First car indesicion
« on: February 11, 2005, 01:06:31 am »
first car indecision
Its between a hyundai accent and toyota echo sedan
automatic, new

Toyota seems to have a better rep and the interior seems simpler and cleaner than the hyundai. On the other hand the accent is 1.6 and has automatic windows and dual airbags.

If anyone had a similar choice or loves or hates either car, or any alternative suggestions, i would appreciate the advice.

if its not half obvious my interest in cars only started one week ago. I need to make a decision in the next two days.
thanks in advance

(Message edited by holly on February 11, 2005)

Boominjeepgc2000

First car indesicion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 01:17:15 am »
I personally can't imagine owning a car without power (automatic) windows. Then again, if this doesn't both you, go with the Echo. If you don't mind me asking - What is your car spending budget?

Holly

First car indesicion
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 01:28:48 am »
I know, the wind up windows bug me too, too much manual labour-i go to the gym to work out! but I figure i can deal with it if it is a better car. Also the echo comes in a blue/ silver that I like. budget around 20k(but I'm from australia so AUD) maybe could go slightly higher.

Barrie1

First car indesicion
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 01:39:36 am »
Both cars are very good choices for the money. Buy the one that you feel the most comfortable driving on a long trip if possible. You are the person who has to enjoy the car so definitely take them both out for a long test drive and make your decision from there. PS WElcome to the Forum Holly  

(Message edited by barrie1 on February 11, 2005)

Boominjeepgc2000

First car indesicion
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 01:41:18 am »
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Actually I forgot to mention that my neighbours have an Echo as their second car and they have been very pleased with it - apparently very good on gas from what I here. My JEEP is a gas-guzzler - its a thirsty V8 4.7L engine so I just top-up the tank when it gets down to half (doesn't hurt the wallet as much).

Holly

First car indesicion
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 01:56:05 am »
I guess i'm just looking to back up my choice with more than "I like the colour" To me driving it feels dodgem car like, compared to my parents cars which i'm used to driving (V6), but I think thats just relative. So apart from the test driving experience, is there anything else I might not be aware of??
thanks so far

Ericthejet

First car indesicion
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 09:14:38 am »
Welcome H.
The ECHO will serve you better in the long run.  It will hold its value better too.  It is very good on gas and not a slowpoke either.  As a small car there are much worse choices to make but bottom line you have to live with this car for a few years so make sur it fits your needs.  BTW, is rolling up/down a window such a pain in the butt?  Buy the Echo. My 2 cents.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
First car indesicion
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 09:23:20 am »
I like the Echo Hatch but not the sedan as much looks wise. But it's very functional. The engine in the Echo is very sophisticated and better than the Accent's - more powerful and better fuel efficiency. Echo holds its' value super well.

We've had some Accents in the family and really liked them. They've held up well. Like the build in the interior better too, as they seem to fit nicer. I think the sedan is conservative but looks more upscale than Echo. On the hatches, the Accent's trunk is huge in comparison. Hyundai has a great warranty.

The biggest difference between the two comes down to how you're buying. Seems like you're paying cash, in which case I'd get the Echo as it's a great car and if you decide to move up to something else 2 years from now, the car will still be worth lots. If you're leasing, the Echo is probably the car to get again because of the high residual, but check out Hyundai's monthly lease as well. If financing, I might go with the Hyundai. 0% financing for 72 months is something Hyundai's offered in the past and I'm sure they're close to 0% now, which could save you considerable money in monthly payments.  

Neither is a bad car or choice.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
First car indesicion
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 10:15:33 am »
For the residual value and fuel efficiency, I'd prefer the Echo.

I used to worry about stuff like power windows, but then I had a power window switch crap out on me, while the window was down, after the warranty expired.  Then it started to rain.  Seriously.

A crank window is one less thing to go wrong on an economy car.

(Message edited by cphansen on February 11, 2005)

Holly

First car indesicion
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 10:22:25 am »
do you have a double standard 64??

" go drive an applicance like a Toyota (most of them are soul-less)."

I thought I would like the VW polo until I saw the inside of it. Its like its just there as a marketing tool to convince you that you really need the features of the golf (out of my budget)Echo hatch is only 1.3 so not an option.
paying cash. another option is the elantra...any opinions. I guess what I don't get is why Hyundai seems to have more features for less money. Is the sacrifice in the engine because my car knowledge just doesn't stretch that far. that is why i'm hesitating about hyundai

as far as looks, they don't really factor in for me, only because for around 20k I have had to accept they r all kind of awkward shapes the echo hatch is the scarriest shape to me, it feels as high as it is long.
thanks so far

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
First car indesicion
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 10:23:46 am »
Can't add much new here. I also prefer the Echo Hatch over the Echo Sedan. Overall, I'd say go with the Echo, but the Accent is an OK small car also. It's really going to come down to which one you like the best, drives the best to you and you are comfortable with. Good luck.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
First car indesicion
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 10:33:54 am »
The new 2005 Accent has had quite a serious re-furbishing and is prolly more functional(spacewise)...but as said,short term the Echo will hold it's value better..just to throw a spanner into the works did you check out the 2005 Suzuki Aerios....said to be great value and good build quality...why the rush..2 days is too quick to make such an expensive choice..take the bus/rent till you have really tried all that$20K can get you...and YOU gotta love it......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
First car indesicion
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 10:51:40 am »
Wondered what you meant by "Echo hatch is only 1.3 so not an option", until I went to the Toyota Australia site:

http://echo.toyota.com.au/Echo/InDetail/GradeTypeGrid/1,1318,142,00.html

Your base model Echo hatch does indeed come with a 1.3L engine.  Ours is a 1.5L.  Seems the echo hatch with a 1.5 costs $4,000 AUD more.  In this case, the sedan is a better deal.

Better yet, come live in Canada.  I think half of Whistler is Australian. ;)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
First car indesicion
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 10:57:53 am »
Holly, I don't have a double standard. Not everyone is looking for the same thing, or what I'm interested in, and I recognize that.

I DO think Toyotas are generally pretty boring appliances. They work well, but are kind of dull. That said, at this price point the Echo is about as funky and fun as they come. The engine is pretty good! Didn't say I was against Echo at all.

I happen to love the Polo. It has big car features and feel in a small package. I don't necessarily want the cheapest car, I want the car that feels solid and has what I want with a quality feel, and the Polo fits that bill nicely. For me. Unfortunately, we don't have the Polo in Canada.

Where are you typing from? Austrailia? We don't have the same models or engines you do. Initially thought you were moving here with $20,000AUD to spend.

(Message edited by sirAQUAMAN64 on February 11, 2005)

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
First car indesicion
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 10:58:59 am »
Is there an Echo in here? Oh - now there is!

Holly both are good and what's been said is dead on. Toyota gives you piece of mind now and later down the road, but better pricing and a better style frankly, can be had with the Accent.

My daughter - okay let me rephrase that - my son in law drives the Elantra (she drives my old van) and it is their second Hyundai - the last one was a 96 that was expired by accident! They like them.

The Accent is a different car but it is a nice one and would serve your needs well, but as said above...resale would favor the Echo.

Holly

First car indesicion
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 11:25:57 am »
yep it is kind of random that i'm asking questions in canada, the search engine is my excuse for that.  
suzuki isn't that big here we don't have an aerio
But thanks canada you've been really helpful. I think i'll go the echo after one more drive.
ps i was joking 64 and no offence about the polo!
thanks, holly

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
First car indesicion
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 12:41:25 pm »
Be sure to post some pics of your new ride.  Non-Canadian visitors are always welcome here.  

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
First car indesicion
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2005, 06:05:22 pm »
SirAM said:  "Holly, I don't have a double standard."

Now THERE'S a transmission I'd like to see.  

Holly

First car indesicion
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 06:18:54 am »
alot can happen in two days...after all that advice on the echo + accent, decided to go with the elantra. it felt better than the echo to drive and seemed like the best value. +there were no echos left in the colour i wanted.
anyway I'm so excited about this car and thanks again.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
First car indesicion
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2005, 06:30:37 am »
Congratulation Holly-go-lightly buddy! in the first few days to bed the brakes in.Happy motoring "sheila"