Author Topic: Good choices for small vehicles with automatic transmission?  (Read 23338 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Good choices for small vehicles with automatic transmission?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2005, 05:36:57 pm »
Shnak - you mentioned the Mazda6 Sport - have you driven one? What about that? I've been looking at the M6 SportWagons and I'm very impressed. If you could find an '04 MY you might get a great deal and even the '05s are at 3.0% lease rate.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Saint11

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2005, 06:06:58 pm »
speaking of S40's i saw one with a budget thing on it. Really surprising that budget would have S40's

Davidm

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2005, 06:28:52 pm »
Autos are not one of Subarus finer points.  An auto Impreza wouldn't be bad, but not great.  Check out an auto Matrix XR AWD or a Pontiac Vibe (probably get better financing on the Pontiac).

Protege 5 wasn't half bad in the auto 'cause you could "shift" it.  Mazda3 should be investigated further.

The Aerio is supposed to be surprisingly good, but I've never driven one.

Does it have to be new?

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2005, 06:35:14 pm »
Now, I'll preface this with the comment that I am not a racer; my sister in law is, though, having been taught to drive by a Villeneuve...I find my Subaru is just as good as anything else; I've done some 260,000 km in it (98), and I've cruised at 140 at times....I don't know what you would mean by "not one of their fine points"....what, exactly, are the problems?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Davidm

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2005, 07:15:17 pm »
In driving the same Subaru models (WRX and Outback) in auto and stick I notice more than the usual loss in power.  Also, compared to many other autos I've driven I find the Subaru one to be fairly "crude" - rough shifting, tends to hunt a lot, etc..  Further still, auto Subarus have a fairly different AWD setup that cruises in 90/10 power split front/rear vs the usual 50/50 or thereabouts in the manuals (I think the WRX may be an exception to this).

All that said, Scoobys are great cars and I have no hesitation recommending one (I haven't owned one, but my mom is 9 years in on an original Outback, coworker is 3 years into WRX, good friend is 2 years into Outback H6, etc.), but with the caveat that I think the auto is one of the weaker elements of the car (like the interiors) as compared to other vehicles.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 07:29:24 pm »
You could be right; I only have an 03 Corolla and the old Camry I replaced to compare to the subie.

I don't notice any hunitng, but maybe that's cause I tend to be going 50 or 120, without much in betweeen......

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 11:10:56 pm »
Shank, Only one choice per your stated price range:  Mazda 6 Sport GT-I4

Heated power leather seats for your back.

Bose sound system with subwoofer.

Super functional hatch.  This car as it all.

Old guy up the street has this car in the 4 banger in automatic.  He knows his vehicles.  He is the Track Master at the local Speedway.  Other vehicle is a 4x4 Dodge Ram crew cab so you see he is a hard line domestic guy, but knows when to jump ship.  All he talks about is how great this car is.

You are going to get killed on the Golf trade in.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005, 12:15:47 am »
After going to Edmonton motor show; i must say one thing...
Of all the car I've seen; interior & exterior,
I love my 6.
(seemed be somehow drawn to the Mazda section)

Saint11

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005, 01:36:49 am »
fomr what I have heard, the auto trannies for the WRX and 3.0 engine in the outback have been notorious for sucking ass.  

the 2.5 boxer engine;s slushbox is fine. Ther's power when you need it. Also the new impreza's  have good old tiptronic if you felt like downshifting}

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2005, 02:07:35 am »
"Also the new impreza's have good old tiptronic if you felt like downshifting}"

Since when?
Impreza autos still use the old D-3-2-1
The Legacy GT though has a tiptronic.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2005, 08:57:55 am »
AS, yeah I have a feeling I'll like the Mazda 6 Sport GT-I4 too... I'm only worried about if I can lower my seat enough... I'll head out to the Mazda dealership in a few days to give it a try.

And yeah, I know I'll get killed on the Golf trade-in... I'm almost tempted in waiting a few months and trying to trade-in my Golf for a new Jetta, that way, I'd probably get more as trade-in for my Golf. I still have big question marks about VW's auto transmissions though...

I think I'll start my research with the Mazda6 Sport and then the Suzuki Aerio. Those are my two main interests at this point.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2005, 09:27:28 am »
Shnak, the seat is an 8 way power unit; it should do it.  I feel like going down to the dealer right now and getting that unit in a stick.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2005, 09:43:21 am »
AS, usually, power seats don't lower as much as seats with manual settings... so we'll see... and besides, it's really not impossible that I'd get the  GS instead of the GT... the GT has a power moonroof... that might just be what will force me into a GS instead of a GT... we'll see.

Eax

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2005, 10:04:36 am »
we'll see what happens when you get to the dealership...I think the negative equity loss is going to be a big determining factor is this decision.  Be prepared to suck up a ton.  Shank, in your opinion, how much negative equity do you believe you will have in your Golf?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2005, 10:42:48 am »
I don't find the 6 with sunroof has as much clearance as the 3 Sport with roof, so don't know what you've tried there Shank. Then again, you like the Corolla which I feel confined in. All over the map on this one.  

I haven't heard a single thing wrong with VW/Audi Tiptronic transmissions. Other things, yes. Galore. Trannys? Nada. New Jetta will be out early next month in I5 and auto only, but don't expect any deals. I've been seeing them on the road for test purposes 'round my house lately.  
Mazda5 is out in May/June. I love this car.

Fuel efficiency counts for a lot if you travel lots, or have a thin wallet. For me it just does because I can't stand spending more or using resources I don't have to. This is why I wouldn't buy a 4WD vehicle living near the city if the penalty was high for fuel consumption, which has narrowed, but is still my concern. I do like the Foresters and Legacies, but would pass on the Impreza for size. 2WD X-Trails and Tucsons/Santa Fes do give you lots for the money though. But you know what gives you more? Any domestic minivan or the Mazda MPV - loads of room and power and luxury and features for what really is a low discounted price. I'm only partially kidding here, too.  

If I were looking like you, I'd take the longest look at an Accord. But it'll cost you, and do you require more cargo flexibility?

Overall, keep this thread up. We could probably juice this for more laughs, twists, turns, and eyerolls than we previously thought possible.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2005, 11:15:11 am »
Saint..laughing at yer first sentence above...I HOPE you meant "gas!!!"
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2005, 12:49:31 pm »
Sorry, I don't get the whole thread.  For almost 1000 posts Smack, Snack, er, whatever the hell it is, has been pretty much espousing the virtues of VW.  They make cars to fit the knock out factors.

What's all the discussion about?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2005, 01:09:50 pm »
If I were looking like you, I'd take the longest look at an Accord. But it'll cost you, and do you require more cargo flexibility?

Funny you should say that... I'm just coming back from the Mazda and Honda dealerships... I don't like the Mazda6 at all. I drove a Mazda6 GS I4 automatic and I hated it. The transmission is always hesitating and the engine sounds like its getting strangled everytime you accelerate a little bit. Only 4 speeds too on that automatic... and at 120km/h, it revs around 3300rpm... Way too high for long distance driving IMO.. can you imagine with the cruise control set for 140km/h?!

And then, I went to check out the Accord. Test drove a LX-G automatic and it was absolutely wonderful. I've never seen an automatic smoother than this one. And while the engine must rev up when accelerating, it always remains smooth and its noise is very nice.

No contest between the two, Accord all the way. The Mazda dealership didn't have any 2004 left, so I'd have to go with a 2005 with their 3.9% for 60 months... while on the Accord, its 4.9% for 60 months... that's a bit high... I was hoping to get a lower interest rate to help absorb some of my negative equity for the Golf trade-in...  

I still have to test drive the Aerio, I went to check it out, its redesigned interior is now superb! I'm waiting their call to go test drive one.

I went to Subaru and didn't find anything interesting in my price range... There might be something at Toyota... Highlander is too expensive for me, but maybe a Corolla or Camry. I'll take a look at the Matrix too, but that interior... I don't think I could ever start to like it...

So for now, the Accord is #1 on my list... But then, for another 2-3 grand and I can get a CR-V...  

I'll see what the girlfriend thinks about all that.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2005, 01:22:34 pm »
The '05 Mazda6's have six-speed - yes, count 'em 6-for-the-6-speed auto Sport-mode transmissions. Or is this just for the 6, 6 (V6) and not the 6, 4 (my height)??? Probably just the 6-6, come to think about it. Mind you, you could get a 6-6 for the same price as a base Accord-4. If the Accord came in a hatch, it'd be quite the car.

I didn't like the Protege ES when I was in the market (Pro5 was unavailable) because it revved far too high on the highway. Beyond the excess fuel consumption, engine wear, and noise, it just felt like I was torturing the poor thing and it took away from my radio listening experience.

Oh, and don't listen to the GF!  (but if she's a well spoken damzel like Brig, well, you'd best pay attention... )

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2005, 01:26:06 pm »
Siraqua, that 6 speed auto is only for the V6... in the I4, it's only a 4 speed auto transmission... and I really didn't like it...

And I really don't want a V6, too much fuel for nothing. Not to mention it's a Ford V6...

Well this time around, if I want her to contribute to the car payments, I have to listen to the girlfriend.