Author Topic: Good choices for small vehicles with automatic transmission?  (Read 23336 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Good choices for small vehicles with automatic transmission?
« on: February 06, 2005, 11:30:36 am »
Alright well I'm starting to look for a new vehicle with automatic transmission to replace my Golf because the girlfriend doesn't like manual at all and since I'd really like to only have 1 vehicle at the moment, switching the Golf for something else is my only alternative.

So, I'm looking for something good on gas so no V6, good reliability and my upper limit is around $33-34k all-in, tax included. AWD would be nice, but definitely not necessary. Low financing (I'd say 3.9% at the most) will be necessary because I'll have a lot of negative equity on my Golf trade-in, unfortunately.  

I'm still looking around at this point, but my main interests right now are the Suzuki Aerio SX (hatchback) and the Mazda6 Sport (will need to go on a lenghty test drive to see how comfortable it is for me). Others I've thought about are the Tucson, Mazda5, CRV, RAV4, Tribute, Accord, Matrix and Corolla. As you can see, it's quite an array of vehicles. Ideally, my girlfriend would need the new vehicle within 3-4 months, so chances are the Mazda5 won't be out then.

Anyone care to share their opinions on those different vehicles? I especially need opinions about those cars in automatic form.  

Feel free to give other suggestions too but just to avoid problems, don't suggest an X-Trail or a Mazda3. I don't like them for various reasons. Is there anything at Subaru that might interest me? Or maybe at Mitsubishi? Or KIA?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 11:39:45 am »
Oh, brother.  This is rich.

You apparently already know everything about every vehicle ever made, Shnak.  Are you just asking for input so you can shoot people down?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 11:46:40 am »
Thanks for the valuable insights Brigitte...

I don't know much about automatic transmission in those vehicles... which is why I asked for opinions.

What are the best small-engine vehicles better suited for an automatic transmission. Of course, I'm not looking for a race car, but with small engines like that, it doesn't take much for the automatic transmission to take away a lot of power and torque.

So, opinions anyone?

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 11:54:34 am »
Well from what I know...
If you need more power, you can always downshift with the manumatic on the mazda6;
But then again the mazda6 is also heavier than those you listed. (why not the 3 again?)

I think I would probably say Corolla would probably be best with an auto.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 12:09:58 pm »
Bhatch6, I felt too cramped in the Mazda3... But I'll have to give it another try as last time I tried one it was just when they came out and I don't remember if I could adjust the height of the driver's seat. I'll have to try again. But with the deals of the Mazda6 these days, I think I'd go with a 6 Sport instead of a Mazda3... I assume the 6 will be much more comfortable for highway cruising.

Is the Corolla really that good in automatic? I mean, its engine isn't the strongest to begin with...

Mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 12:11:41 pm »
"Is the Corolla really that good in automatic? I mean, its engine isn't the strongest to begin with..."

Pow pow....this is like skeet shooting.  image

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 12:18:52 pm »
Thanks for the incredibly usefull insights Mdxtasy, deeply appreciated.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 12:30:49 pm »
Yup.  Pretty much what I figured.

I must be psychic.

Mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 12:45:50 pm »
Shnak, I think many would love to help with some suggestions, but you've got to remember your previous posts.  

GM is crap.
I don't fit.
It's too small.
It's not powerful enough.
The interior is cheap.
My VW is great.

Sound familiar?  Anyway, I'll try for a more serious post.  AWD and 4WD will always drink more fuel and increase driveline power loss.  You'll have to sacrifice somewhere.  with that said, what's wrong with a Forester?  Lots of headroom, AWD, Subie reliability, good cargo room.  What about an Element?  Again, good headroom, Honda reliability, comes with AWD.  What's wrong with a Golf with an autobox?  You seem to love the VW.

Barrie1

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 02:00:13 pm »
GM has one of the best auto trannies in the world. After all they invented it. They also have the Max and other vehicles you could consider, my 6'7" nephew fits in the back seat of the Max so you should too.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 02:15:06 pm »
What do my previous posts have anything to do with this thread? I asked a genuine question, is it too much to expect genuine answers? I guess so...

Anyways, I checked the specs yesterday of the Forester and it's very expensive. It starts out at $28k, and at that price, it only comes with 4 speakers which is just unacceptable for me. Tweeters are an absolute requirement for any new vehicle. While it's not bad, I don't really like the Forester's styling, nor does my girlfriend...  

I don't care for the Element at all (seats, boxy, wind noise, too affected by winds on highways), I'd get a CRV instead, and an automatic Volkswagen is about the last thing I'd want to buy. I've heard too many horror stories about VW/Audi with automatic transmissions.

Thanks anyways for the suggestions.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 02:16:33 pm »
To be honest Barrie, the Maxx interests me... but I'd only lease one because I'm afraid of that old engine in there... and right now, I'm looking to buy something, not lease. So that leaves out the Maxx..

Barrie1

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 02:20:40 pm »
To be honest I have never seen a new Car sell with an old engine Under the hood. Usually you get a new one with a new Car. Its a proven design that has lasted for many years now.

Sterling

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 02:30:40 pm »
I recommend either the X-Trail or the Mazda3.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 02:43:16 pm »
Now you're adding requirements for the stereo...why don't you just list your requirements and go from there?  Or, what would be simpler still, dump your girlfriend?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 02:44:07 pm »

AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 02:50:14 pm »
*toilet flush*

Saint11

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 03:17:46 pm »
u no wut wud be nice, a ford 500. might be a little pricey but get your gf to pay for it. the CVT transmission is quite good i hear.

Winson

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005, 03:33:02 pm »
Volvo S40 if you can fit in it. 1.8% financing I think. It is a little pricier, however. How about an Acura RSX?

(Message edited by winson on February 06, 2005)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 03:59:48 pm »
S40 would be nice, but really too expensive for me right now... and the RSX, it's only 2 doors, plus it's way too small... I can't even lower the seat enough to sit in the driver's seat without having to recline the backrest way too much. Definitely not a tall person's car.