Author Topic: Bought a new old car!  (Read 17973 times)

Multipath

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2005, 11:42:30 am »
Well, if one of those tires is considered "worn" then with our horrible rain here, Stray, I wouldn't want to be driving around with that tire on.  If it were summer, you might be able to hold off a month or two, but we're in one of the rainiest times of the year (spring and fall).  Just look at today - yuck!!!

Hmmm, "cheap" tires?  Be careful here, as you don't want to get something you'll regret.  What size do you need, and what sort of budget do you have?  Also, how do you describe your driving style?  Off hand, the BF Goodrich T/A-V sticks in my mind as being a good choice, reasonably priced for a V-rated tire, and rave reviews to boot.

One other way you could have the battery checked is to take it to any garage about a week after you pick up the car and have them test the strength.  If it's still fairly good at holding a chrage, you might be okay.  If the charge is weak again, time for a new battery.  Installation should either be included in the price, or done fairly cheap at any garage.

Tell us all about your new ride when you get it tomorrow!  We're looking forward to hearing about it.

S60

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2005, 11:54:35 am »
Stray, IMO tires are your most important piece of equipment on a car.

Barrie1

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2005, 01:54:13 pm »
One thing that MDX brought up is very important about Batteries with that little eye on it. Green means good and Black means Bad. There is a 3rd colour that I hope you never see. Its a yellowish white and means the battery is full of gas and you should NEVER EVEN TRY TO BOOST a Battery with that condition. The 1st small spark can cause a very bad explosion and anyone near it could be badly hurt or worse. Sorry not trying to scare you but you better know this for safety. Thats all.

Mdxtasy

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 02:14:21 pm »
Good info to pass onto vehicle owners Barrie.  If it keeps this from occuring just once...it's well worth it.  You learn something new everyday.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 04:27:52 pm »
Sheepie!

Your beautiful Accord deserves better than cheap tires.  You've just spent over $14,000 - what's another $500 and a bit?  C'mon girly - do us proud!

Brigitte

Mdxtasy

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2005, 05:18:03 pm »
Remember when you were a student B....did you have moolah for a $14K car or some decent tires?  I sure as heck didn't.  I didn't have money for KD.  I went for the President's Choice mac and cheese.  :-)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2005, 07:46:56 pm »
I would NOT go cheap on tires - ever - end of discussion.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Straysheepie

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2005, 09:53:28 pm »
Yeah, you guys convinced me... after thinking about it, I am pretty much set on getting tires in the next week or two (need to find time to take care in!) but confirmation is always nice.  Will attempt to see what the colour the battery is tomorrow.  I really appreciate the warning from Barrie1 about the potential explosion! :-)

How are the tires at Canadian Tire?  It's easier for me to go there than Costco since my parents have the membership, not me, and we'd have to coordinate a time to go together...

And any tire recommendations from either place?  Costco doesn't post a list online so I don't even know what they have... I'll try asking at the tire forum too.

Will let you guys know how the car pickup goes tomorrow!

Barrie1

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2005, 11:39:28 pm »
Canadian Tire sells a lot of different brands and some of their own private label tires are made by Michelin on the East Coast. Read up on the differences and save some money on this purchase as the money saved is better in your pocket then theirs.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2005, 02:05:38 am »
Straysheepie,

Is your car a 4 cyl or a V6? For a budget priced, performance all season, I understand that the Falken Ziex ZE-512 (H-rated) is very good at it's price point. Others have posted good reviews on the BFG Traction T/A (T-rated).

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Multipath

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2005, 02:08:31 am »
CT tires aren't all that bad that some people make them out to be.  My dad uses them on his minivan just fine, and for the average motorist, they do okay with them.  The AW+ and whatever their topline is are made by Michelin.  I believe the midline SE is made by Goodyear.  I used the AW+ once before, it is an adequate tire, good hydroplane resistance and okay handling (definitely not a tire to be pushed to the limits).  My dad is currently using the SE (in the summer anyway), and it seems to do him just fine.  I would definitely not go any lower than the CT tires.  The Wal-Mart Goodyears are on par with them, but not the Kumho Ulysses they sell - absolutely horrible in my experience, which is very different from what I find the properly branded Kumhos to be.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2005, 07:35:16 am »
"Remember when you were a student B....did you have moolah for a $14K car or some decent tires?"

When I was a student, I took the bus or walked.  When I started working, I took the bus or walked.  Montreal had a great public transit system, so getting anywhere was easy and cheap.  I bought my first car when I was finally making enough money to pay for one myself.  I was 26.  It was a 1990 used Toyota Tercel Special Edition, two-tone silver/charcoal with a black interior.  I loved that little car.

In this case, Mom and Dad are helping.  Therefore, they can probably cough up a little more for the sake of their daughter's safety.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2005, 09:41:51 am »
Yeah definitely...get the KD......I mean Falkens.....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Straysheepie

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2005, 09:28:53 pm »
Hi all,

Finally have time to post after dealing with school stuff and driving the car around for a few days.  I picked it up Saturday afternoon, or tried to - the car was driven downstairs to the dealer's driveway, and I got into the car to start it.  It just went sputtered and wouldn't start.  Great way to start out as a car owner! The Honda people tested the battery and they realized it wouldn't hold a charge... they charged it a few days before that but it must have all drained.  They gave me a courtesy car (tried giving me an Element which I refused! Got a Civic instead) to grab lunch while they installed a brand new battery for me.

So the good news is I saved ~$100 and got a new battery :-) Everything else is great, the minor quibble is the stereo will not play CD-Rs.

Took it up to SFU (school on a hill) today with a friend, and it was a bit unnerving to drive on a highway.  The car handled the highway and hill beautifully, I think the more powerful engine (compared with Civic) helps a lot.  Unfortunately I managed to scrape my right front rim already as I pulled in front of my friend's house... need to get used to the size of the car.

Phoning around to get quotes for tires... will mostly likely go for Toyos or the Michelin Hydroedge, maybe Falkens if I can't get either :-)

Barrie1

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2005, 11:23:38 pm »
Congrats on the price of the Battery. Score 1 for the little folks. Thats definitely a bonus and a good piece of mind as well. Glad you are enjoying the car and stay away from the curbs.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2005, 11:29:17 pm »
Congrads on the car. Certain type of CD-Rs will play on "normal" players, TDK's CD-Rs works great for me, plays on all CD players.