Author Topic: Bought a new old car!  (Read 17972 times)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 12:42:36 pm »
Yep, it's the bumper-car run on the 401s, 407s and QEWs plus liberal doses of winter salt and general grime of Central Canada that makes them worth less than a vehicle that lives in a pristine, green, and growing climate of the West Coast. Everyone knows that....
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Barrie1

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 01:09:04 pm »
The battery may just be low from sitting so I would wait to see what happens with it. If you do have to replace it I would recommend a Delco Battery for your car as they one of the longest lasting batteries on the market. I won't run a Canadian Tire Battery ever as they leach acid too much and cause damage. They are generally made by Exide and are not a top line part.  I think you can get new tires a lot cheaper then $700. as that seems a little high for good quality tires. Let your fingers do the walking on them but check out the tire section for recomendations on brands 1st.

Multipath

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 01:34:56 pm »
Congrats!!  Looks like you found a nice gem of a car.  I agree with the others, the problems on this vehicle are minor and can be expected at this age.

I would wait until the battery dies to replace, and do have the dealership charge it up.  Costco Kirkland batteries are reasonaly priced, have a good CCA rating too.  My brother has one on, bought in 2001 or 2002.  It is a very easy do it yourself job, and I did this in an emergency situation on a road trip.  Just disconnect the old battery, reconnect the new.  Always disconnect ground (negative) last, and reconnect ground first.  All you'll probably need for tools are pliers and maybe a screwdriver.  Be careful not to short anything and electrocute yourself, and be careful of battery acid.

Rad flush is definitely worth it, especially if maintenance records show it was some time ago.

Tranny flush also a very good idea.

Just how bad are the rear tires?  If possible, replace them as a full set of 4.  Just 2 only is acceptable, but try to match to the other 2 as closely as possible.  The tire forum guys can help you out.    Also look into a winter tire/wheel package, but seeing as you helped your mom out on this recently, I'm sure it's old news to you.  You might be able to hold out on this til next season, seeing it seems like spring is here in Vancouver now (though I did eat my words one March the day after I took my winter tires off).

Right rear strut will probably be okay for a while, but expect a replacement a ways down the road.

For the $350 that the dealer wants to do the tranny, coolant and alignment sounds not too bad.  I would let them do it as well.

Depending on what you can substantiate from the service records, new spark plugs and an oil change could be in order.

Happy motoring, enjoy your new ride!!!  

Mdxtasy

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 01:40:13 pm »
If you change the battery yourself Sheepie...make sure you've got the code for the radio...otherwise it won't work.

S60

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 01:45:48 pm »
With the rad problem, shouldn't the buyer beware of coolant leaking into crankcase or cylinders.
Have you checked that the heater is blowing hot air, etc.
Just a thought.

(Message edited by S60 on February 02, 2005)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 01:56:03 pm »
Maybe the dealer is blowing hot air?

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 06:12:56 pm »
Looks great! I'm sure you will be happy with it. I liked the looks of the accord coupe's tailights to that body style. Very unique. Congrats.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 06:16:05 pm »
Looking good, Little Bo Peep!  No more stray sheep for you!

Love the colour, and you can't go wrong with an Accord.

Enjoy, and drive safely.

Brigitte

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2005, 07:18:45 pm »
Here's a voluntary recall that may affect your 1999 Accord...exact models to be published on Friday:

http://autonet.ca/Maintenance/Recalls/story.cfm?story=/Maintenance/Recalls/2005/ 02/02/918046.html

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

S60

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 07:41:00 pm »
Honda is recalling 1 million 1997 through 1999 Honda Prelude, Accord, Odyssey, CR-V and the Acura CL because of problems with the ignition. Reports say that the ignition may cause the cars to suddenly stall without warning and that that could increase the chance of a crash

http://www.nbc10.com/News/1592059/detail.html

It is dated 2002, but good to make sure your Accord has been checked for this fault.

And another date 2003,
Honda Motor Co. recalled about 652,000 cars, minivans and sport-utilities to fix an ignition- system flaw that may cause the vehicles to roll after they've been stopped and the keys removed, a U.S. agency said.  

The recall affects 1997 to 1999 Acura sedans, 1998 and 1999 Accord sedans, 1999 Odyssey minivans and 2002 CR-V sport- utilities, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site. Metal particles in the key cylinders may interfere with a device that's supposed to prevent the key from being removed if the vehicle isn't in "park," the agency said.  

The Washington-based agency last month upgraded an investigation of the vehicles after 169 complaints, 28 incidents and three injuries were reported. One driver reported an injury after he exited his car and it began rolling. The driver had left the car in neutral and withdrew the ignition key, NHTSA said.  

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0311/01/autos-312984.htm

(Message edited by S60 on February 02, 2005)

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2005, 09:55:36 pm »
S60:  You are SUCH a buzzkill.  

S60

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2005, 09:59:02 pm »
Might as well be informed, and make sure all issues have been dealt with.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2005, 10:03:27 pm »
Kinda late in the game, in this case.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2005, 10:19:45 pm »
The recall is a non-issue.  If his car has not been done, no problem, it'll get done, and at no charge.

Congrats on a nice ride.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Bought a new old car!
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 09:18:18 am »
Congrats Strayyyyyy!!! excelent choice!!

Spitdriver

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2005, 02:44:10 pm »
Congrats Stray!! Well done.
Nice car, looks great.
Great bargaining, and including the service.
Re:tires. We've had good luck with Costco, and I'm using their batteries too.
Whoo-hoo!

Straysheepie

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2005, 02:24:32 am »
I did try a Hyundai Accent before looking at Hondas again but they just don't have the finesse and the poor car had trouble going up hills... engine was really loud huffing and puffing up!

Decided to go for coolant and transmission oil change, plus alignment and air cleaner/filter replacement for $400.  The cheque for the car has been dropped off and certified, so I'll be picking the car up Saturday afternoon.  And yes the vents blow hot (and a/c cold) air :-)

Just a few more questions:

- Is there some way to know the battery is low before it dies on me?  I'm going to get a BCAA membership but I would like to change the battery it dies.
- Should I change the tires NOW or can I hold off for a month or two?  Multipath touched on this a bit, but I'm wondering what you guys make of the 25% remaining on one rear tire and "worn out" on the other?  Would it be dangerous to keep driving with a worn out tire?  My Mom's mechanic is trying to find some relatively new or brand new tires for us cheap, but I will look at Costco (and maybe Tire Trends but Costco is closer) as well.

Thanks for mentioning the recalls, I checked and the coupe doesn't seem to be affected.  I'll ask the dealer if they know about any recalls.

Oh and for those who didn't read earlier threads, I'm a girl who knows basically NOTHING about cars so there's no way in hell I'm going to be changing the battery If I tried there would probably be cooked rack of lamb for y'all on the forum!

Saint11

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2005, 02:51:52 am »
costco should have the cheapest prices around for tires

S60

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2005, 07:05:46 am »
Congrats Straysheepie, have fun tomorrow picking up your new car, and happy motoring.

Mdxtasy

Bought a new old car!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2005, 10:04:49 am »
Most newer batteries have an 'eye' on the top of it.  If you see green through it...then the battery is supposed to be good.  If it's black....it's time to change the battery.  As for the tires....with all the rain in BC winters, you can risk hydroplaning on worn tire.  Also, how old are the tires, are they the original tire?  If so, 6 years is a long life for a tire.  If you have the funds, change it now.  Otherwise, change them as soon as you can.

(Message edited by mdxtasy on February 04, 2005)