Author Topic: Buying a Toyota 4x4 on Ebay  (Read 3428 times)

Guido

Buying a Toyota 4x4 on Ebay
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:07:07 pm »
I am looking to buy a 90-95 Toyota 4x4 on Ebay because its about the only place I can find them.  Does anyone have any advice on this rather sacry undertaking?  Is there anything that I should be overly concerned about regarding used Toyotas?  HAS anyone had good or bad experiences with this?

Mdxtasy

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 02:12:17 pm »
Not sure where you are looking but:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/result.aspx?searchtype=adv&kw=&dp=&age=&kfr=1 &kto=2000000&category=4100&mk=TOYOTA&md=4RUNNER&yfr=1990&yto=1995&pfr=0&pto=9999 999&postal=&distance=&city=&pro=&dm=1&type=province

Lots....

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 04:36:11 pm »
Don't know where you are located, but it would just be luck to find one on Ebay anywhere close to you. I've seen ads for several around here in past several weeks. I would be leery on Ebay for a vehicle (and I have bought about 150 things, mainly small dollar collectibles and stuff on Ebay). Just my thoughts.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 05:54:03 pm »
Is it a Canadian or US vehicle?

Guido

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 02:05:21 pm »
These are all U.S. vehicles I have seen, usually higher mileage (140,000 miles or more).  Toyotas are so hard to find here that I am willing to go far to get one if I have to.  So far the best ones have been 20 to 30 hours drive away (one way).  Taking the plunge and doing it is tough.  I am not sure why a person would sell a vehicle on Ebay...the inability for most to inspect it before purchase is one negative.  If there are those out there that have had a good experience it makes it easier to make the decisions.  Thanks to all who have responded.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 02:15:02 pm »
Still don't know where you are located and you didn't tell us yet (although I already asked), but IMO there is NO WAY I would drive 20 to 30 hours one way to see a used Toy 4X4 on a "maybe". I can't believe you can't find one locally or at least closer. I live in south-central BC and see them for sale often around here. Whatever..

Guido

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 09:21:21 pm »
Missed the question...sorry.  I am in Manitoba and Toyotas are few and far between.  The few that are here are extremely expensive.  People here seem to know a good thing and hold on to it.

Boominjeepgc2000

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 02:26:58 am »
In regards to buying a car on Ebay. I personally haven't, but I know 2 people that have. The first guy is a old friend from university. He and his brother (as a summer hobby - they are both high-school teachers) fix up older vintage collectable cars. On 2 separate occassions, they bought mid-60s vintage Ford Mustangs on ebay, and drove 14 hours from Toronto, Ontario to somewhere in the US to pick-up the cars (I assume that they paid duties/taxes at the border when returning). Both trips were successful and in the end they sold the cars here for a $4000.00 profit (each car). Not bad...

The other guy I know that bought a car on ebay was actually the guy I bought my Jeep from. He purchased a 2003 Corvette from ebay and drove down with his friend to Pittsburg to pick it up. In the end he said that the same car/year/mileage here would have cost him an additional $10,000 if he had bought the car locally.

I think purchasing cars on Ebay still seems like a radical thing to do, but in time I think you will see a lot more acceptance.....just my opinion.