Author Topic: Advice on repaired Forester that was ICBC "write-off"  (Read 3377 times)

Johnjohn

Advice on repaired Forester that was ICBC "write-off"
« on: January 30, 2005, 06:00:23 am »
Hi,
I've been enjoying reading the forum and am looking for some input regarding vehicles that have been written off by a insurance company,  sold at auction, and then repaired  to be resold.  

I've been interested at purchasing a used Subaru Forester. I looked  at a 2002 w/ 35,000 km at a used dealer that had a asking  price of $18,800( around $5000to $6000 lower than average asking price here). I was informed it was repaired from  a written-off ICBC claim. The repairs look very well done and it drives, brakes and handles well. I figure the damage must have been pretty extensive to justify wrting off such a new vehicle. Are vehicles like this worth pursuing( I would certainly have it inspected)?

Thanks for any advice!

William_w

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 08:38:40 am »
I think whenever you are buying a branded car, you're gambling.  You're gambling that the structure repairs were done properly, and you're gambling that the mechanic of the car was properly repair.  Alot of manufacture voids the warranty of a branded car, so buyers beware.  Also, it is very difficult to sell a branded car down the road.  So, you're either planning to keep the car until you drive it into the ground, or you'll be willing to take a huge discount on the car in order to find a buyer.  (ie selling it at 25-40% below the average selling price on the market)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 12:00:04 pm »
I wouldn't go near it.  It might be a great car, and give you years of trouble free service.  You might never notice that it was a write off.

However, reselling it will be very, very difficult.  If you do get into another collision, there is a chance that the unibody structure that has been pulled straight will fatigue more easily than "original strength" steel.  You may have insurance problems down the road if something were to happen, and with stricter registration rules you may not be able to take the car to another province if you move.  Even if you can, it might be a huge hassle.

Are you sure that 2002 Foresters sell for $24-25K?  Even in B.C?  Maybe I should start a business buying Foresters elsewhere and selling them in the lower mainland.  2001's sell for about $14-17K depending on trim and condition, and 2002's for $16-19K.  I don't think the price sounds like any kind of deal.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
A co-worker just bought a 2001 Forester, std,  with 70K or 80K (forgot the exact figure) on the odo for like $17K or so here in BC. I am pretty sure that he bought it from a local Subaru dealer too. I am pretty sure if that it would have been a couple thousand dollars cheaper out east (e.g. Ontario).

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 01:02:50 pm »
I wouldn't buy such a car ever. You will never be able to resell it at any decent price. Why take on possible grief with unknown problems w a price that doesn't appear to be so good for a once-wreaked car? There are lots of better choices IMO.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Ericthejet

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 01:33:12 pm »
Pass!  Find another one, pay more and be at ease with your forester.

Barrie1

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 02:53:23 pm »
I wouldn't touch a branded car with a 10 foot pole if I were you. You never know what is going to wear out or break on this car. You may end up having nightmares owning it so why take the chance.  

Johnjohn

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 06:06:14 pm »
Thanks for the input!  I will keep searching for a Forester.

In each of your collective experiences,  how much can a person expect to negotiate off the listed price of a used car at a dealership. I do realize there are a lot of variables involved. Often, the dealers used prices seem quite inflated, especially when I look at Black book values. (I've been a little put off by this   fact so far and have only been looking privately but not having much luck finding what I want.)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 06:28:38 pm »
I find that each dealer is different, and each deal is different.  The dealers buy most of their used inventory at auction, so the prices are variable.  Your bottom price is going to depend on what they actually paid for it.

That said, we saw 2000-2002 Foresters from $10K to $28K.  All over the map!  I wanted a 2001 or later (updated bumpers, paint, some minor interior changes) "S" or "Limited" trim.  I found few Limited models available, so we set our sights on an S model.  We found quite a few 2001 models with mileages ranging from 70K to 120K.  Ironically, the one with 120K was in the worst condition (stained upholstery, chipped paint, filthy interior) was the priciest at $23K.  Most asking prices were in the $17-19K range.  I didn't want to pay much more than $15K.  The first one we tried for was a 2001 S asking $18K, but the dealer would not come down much at all.  We got stuck at $17K and there was no moving, so we let it go.  They had another one with about 3000km's more mileage, but otherwise in just as good condition, also asking $18K.  We ended up coming down to under $16K.  Why the price difference?  Probably (I don't know for sure, of course) they had less into the one we ended up buying.

So, you'll have to ignore the "black book" except to get an idea of range, and work on an individual basis.  However, I personally would not go much over $15-16,000 for a 2001 Forester.  It might take some time, but they're out there.  We had to hammer on three of them before getting the one we wanted at the price we wanted.