Author Topic: Advice for used Civic vs Accord at Honda dealer  (Read 11543 times)

Straysheepie

Advice for used Civic vs Accord at Honda dealer
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005, 08:25:34 pm »
I probably should've clarified, the search for a cheaper (say under $10k) car didn't go over too well so my parents offered to kick in $300/month towards a car which would either cover lease payments or financing a used car.  More specifically, they'd "loan" me money from a line of credit at the prime rate (4.25%) which isn't very far off from Honda's lease rate (3.9%) if I go for a used car.  The advantage of buying a used car is the ability to contribute big payments when I'm working a lot in the summer, and they won't come after me (I think?!) for money I also hate the idea of coming up with $10,000 residual in 4 years... gah!

And sorry for saying V4... is that like a swear word?  Shows how much I don't know about cars!!!  Don't know what a I4 is either... lol

Oh and I test drove the Accord and a '05 Civic to compare... the Accord still feels more powerful but I didn't have time to try to park it (to compare size) since my Mom was rushing me to finish so she can run an errand elsewhere... sigh!  I wish she had told me earlier so we could've gone another day to test drive and haggle a bit to see what they can do - the impression I got was they are not going to be flexible with a new Civic since they're so highly demanded but they can negotiate for the Accord.

The seller of the '00 Accord didn't get back to met yet... with my luck it's probably sold already!  Oh, and the other '99 civic that everyone said was overpriced... I believe they sold it since it wasn't there anymore (I didn't ask to drive it after advice here, but it wasn't on the lot) so that tells you a lot about the Vancouver market I guess.

My Mom called up another Honda dealer last night around 5 and they had a '02 Civic LXG (or whatever it's called), no claims for $17800.  She stopped by after she dropped me off this morning to view it and it was sold already!!!  Is that a reasonable price?  It's hard to compare Civic prices here with Lemon-Aid/black book.

And Davidy, I tested a Nissan Sentra before and didn't like it (the gas pedal felt tiny and I kept wondering where it was!!) and after driving different makes I think a Honda suits my proportions best (i.e. short)

And yes it sucks SFU doesn't have a reading week... I'd rather have that instead of one more week of winter break!

Barrie1

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 08:57:58 pm »
A little trivia, International Harvester had a V4 engine in some of their pickups in the early 60's. They were cheap to run and didn't have much power at all.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2005, 10:30:53 pm »
Stray - not that it really matters to your search, but a V4 engine is a 4 cylinder configured into a "v" shape. The I4 is, wait for it, a 4 cylinder engine configured in line or "I" shape. Having said that, where did the V4 reference come from as a V4 engine is a real oddity AFAIK. I4s are common as are opposed 4s in the Subie "boxer" engines. V4 - who has that (besides International Harvester which is now defunct)? I may learn something here from one of the more technical scribes..
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Barrie1

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 11:19:15 pm »
I am not positive but I believe some of the old Rovers had this design engine as well. I know in the Internationals they didn't last that well. I drove one for a Parts Wholesale as My 1st full time job. Top Wages were $1.00 an hour back then.  

William_w

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2005, 08:51:40 am »
Straysheepie, with your luck right now, and with how the market is in Vancouver, may be you should really take up on my suggestion and fly out to Toronto to get your car.  (Its a sign, Jetsgo is having the Loonie Sunday sale)    Yes, climbing up the hill of SFU is brutal, so you need something that has enough power to go up the hill.  But also a car that can give you the thrills when you're going down the hill.  (I did 150km/hr once going down the hill in my Bimmer, you were descending fast enough to plug your ears like you were descending in a plane, that was a real experience)  Personally, if you're upping your budget to around $18k, I would also throw the 2001 Volvo S40s into the mix.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005, 09:48:05 am »
Must suck..no not the reading week bUT to say you are a SFUerr..like person...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Saint11

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2005, 04:25:01 pm »
bahahahaha.....shut the f*** up er...