Author Topic: Almost bought a car today! But...  (Read 15910 times)

Ericthejet

Almost bought a car today! But...
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 12:57:23 pm »
Most dealers will keep the cherry trade ins to sell for higher markup and make extra cash.  This 5000 point inspection is a pile of crap in some but not all cases.  This is a tool for uncertin buyers of cars and is of no value to me. Many more dealers are selling off brands of cars (Honda at GM's house) due to the money that can be made on each unit sold.  If you find a nice car on the "lot" you will almost always pay more for it than if you had picked it up private.  If you feel better about buying at the dealer than have at it and bring your extra pennies.  If you are also clueless about cars than go to the dealer as well.  If you are cliueless about the brand you are looking for than come to this forum as we can help.  Rest assured the fellas selling cars know your weakness as soon as you step onto their turf.  I have never bought a used car from the dealer, new or used dealer.  I have also spent time looking into the car I wanted and not guessing about quality and the like.  If you test drive an old Civic and compare it to any other one you will always feel a difference, regardless.  You'll always find a car that somebody has not looked after and notice the differences right away.  Whoever buys my car will get a good used car that was well looked after with all the paperwork and maintaince performed. ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 01:31:23 pm »
Dash, yes I think you have said it about right.  New car dealer's charge more than used car dealers and in the large cities there is an abundance of off lease vehicles, but some dealers lease so they keep those vehicles on their lot beside one owner trade-ins.  Without a service record its impossible to know what the car has been subjected to so for middle of the road cars the premium paid to brand name dealers is a waste I think.

But this only applies to domestic cars and the lower priced Asian stuff because higher end cars are now coming with pretty detailed service records kept on computer at some dealership.  Although, that may not prove to great because I know a guy with a Bimmer and the dealer changes the oil only every 24,000 km which I can't agree to.  The guy doesn't care because he doesn't pay the service and he isn't keeping the car out of warranty.  It's a minefield out there.

The deal here in a small city like Owen Sound is that the dealers are short of used cars so they pretty well sell what they get traded in.  My son's dealer has a pickup with a car carrier and they go to the Toronto area autions a couple of times a week to get product and if the buyer doesn't ask where the car came from then they don't offer to tell them.

Overall, private is the way to go if you have the guts and you have something else to spend the savings on.  But I realize that is a very minority view and the vast majority of cars are bought off dealers, either new or used car dealers despite, the GST surcharge.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 01:41:52 pm »
Dave, I really don't think you can blame yourself on this one.  Again, poorly performing O2 sensors not picked up by OBD2 are next to impossible to ascertain during an inspection or even the first fews weeks of driving.

It would take me all day to list the stuff that I have got screwed on in my long history of vehicle and power sport buying.  Somethings are just lying in wait so to speak.

I think in this case the dealer let you down so that is an example of a "brand name" dealer no better than "Sal's Lucky Car Sales" in Hamilton's east end.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 01:56:49 pm »
Eric that is well put.  I can tell you a GM or Ford dealer never lets a Toyota or Honda off it's lot if traded in unless it's beat to hell because they know that car is an instant sell.  So that should tell folks reading this thread something.  Want a sure bet in a vehicle, something that can be converted into cash quickly with minimum of loss; Toyota or Honda.

I have atually bought 2 cars off dealers in the past 4 years.  One, a 1998 S70 Volvo that was very mint and was so underpriced that by even paying the GST I couldn't find anything less or better in the private Toronto market.

Second, a 95 525/5speed which was at a wholesaler and I traded the Volvo for it and at least avoided paying GST and PST because it was a near even trade.  The deal about the Bimmer is that it had full records that checked out and it was a "one off vehicle".  I even got the second key off the original owner in downtown Toronto about a month later.  Saved me about 150 bucks.  Because when the deal was all done after a zillion hours of this and that, I went to drive away and remembered that I had only one key and the dealer said that was all he had and I said to myself do this guys ever quit!

Straysheepie

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 10:55:52 pm »
Wow, I just read this thread over twice and I'm still overloaded with information!

Articsteve, I wish all private sellers had as much integrity as you - however this has not been my experience.  No one I called had service records or invoices - they just told me it was serviced at some specific place or their mechanic buddy serviced it for them (plausible since I've been looking at an import car forum where a lot of people do their own work).

Ericthejet hit the target with his post - I'm a total noob and would prefer going to a dealer but after reading this I'm going to keep looking at private sales too... and it really is true about being able to tell the difference between a well-cared for car and a neglected one :-(

Keith_moon

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 11:18:20 pm »
Straysheepie, To ease your concerns about buying privately, simply ask the owner for all the service records for the vehicle. If he or she can't provide them then walk away. That is a good start.

Multipath

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2005, 12:26:55 am »
I went used car shopping in the Vancouver area in 1999 for the first, and hopefully the last time.  It was not the greatest experience, but in hind sight, I could have done things differently and ended up with a better vehicle.

Many of the cars I looked at were private, and some from new car dealers.  I steered clear of the used dealers and of repo lots.  There was one cherry of a car that I passed over - a girl with a '91 Civic that looked like she obviously loved.  I had to pass it by because I felt she was asking too much and she wouldn't move enough on price.

One lady with a near perfect Protege, drove like a dream.  According to her, no accidents over $2k.  Until an ICBC check turned up a $4k "collision with animal" claim.  Deal was off there, mostly because of the deception.

One guy had another Civic in his underground garage, uninsured.  He didn't want to bother with insurance so I could test drive it - only to drive it around inside the garage.

Then there was the young couple selling their Sentra.  I asked all about it - all their responses were positive.  I made an offer, they didn't meet me in price, so I left.  Twenty minutes later, they called me back and agreed, so back I went.  I had my own sales contract worded to protect me, so I asked for the ICBC papers to get the car and owner particulars.  So I copied everything down until I saw the word "REBUILT."  They denied any knowledge of that, and that they unwittingly bought it from the last owner without knowing that.  BS!!!  No deal there.

The cars at the new car dealers were not particulary impressive so all got passed over.

Finally, after being car less for too long, and needing one soon, I bought my worst car ever from some surfer boy - a '93 Civic sedan.  My first mistake - going to BCAA inspection service - they missed something critical that I discovered shortly after I took possession, the radiator was clogged solid, probably never had coolant changed in its life according to my mechanic.  Then the other problems began - chewed up distributor, alignment that would never stay true for long, horrible emergency handling.  Being an out-of-province car, which I was aware, I wondered if there was something in it's dark past in Ontario that I should have known, like a very serious accident.  I nursed it for 3 years / 60,000 kms before the mysterious disappearing engine oil.  I ended up dumping it onto a used car lot.  Not as bad as it could have been, but certainly not a great experience.

In hindsight, I would have picked one of those so-so cars off a new car dealer's lot, made them fix up whatever I had issue with, and I'm sure I would have been much happier.

Offline amorak

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 BMW 3-series 328i xDrive, 2014 Infiniti QX60
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 11:24:55 am »
This forum seems to be full of people handing out a lot of misinformation...

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 11:33:04 am »
Amorak, no BB'er here professes to be an expert, but vast many are very knowledgeable and are helpful as possible, it’s up YOU to decipher responses and accept or not accept the statements of the writers.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Mdxtasy

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2005, 11:33:20 am »
Oh please enlighten us with the right info Amorak.  Set us straight and lead us down the right path.

Accordingly

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 11:34:25 am »
Go to ExpertCanadianDriver.com...they're smarter there.

S60

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2005, 11:37:42 am »
Can you elaborate Amorak, enlighten us please

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2005, 12:36:59 pm »
Geez Amorak, you're just in here spreading all sorts of joy aren't you?  Misinformation or not, you're certainly not contributing anything helpful so far.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2005, 01:37:13 pm »
Amorak - nice second post - that'll win you a lot of friends on here. Where do you get off making that statement? Or are you just another troll trying to get everyone stirred up? I think I'll treat you as a troll until you prove to be otherwise.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2005, 01:52:44 pm »
"Real" name on his profile is "Kneegrow Gritz "!!! real funny huh...fook off Amorak ya stink...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2005, 01:54:50 pm »
troll alert!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2005, 02:33:35 pm »
ta

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2005, 02:45:20 pm »
Thank Mr. Ridge.  Found a new job, eh?
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2005, 04:19:24 pm »
Brilliant 2nd post, Amorak! How's THAT for misinformation? Eithre refer yourself to Neil's STFU thread or Fack off....

(Message edited by Bullit_Blue on January 20, 2005)

Roadrunner

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2005, 04:50:33 pm »
I believe the point has been made gentlemen, let's carry on with an automotive spin shall we?