Author Topic: On a different manufacturer's lot...  (Read 4872 times)

Ldp

On a different manufacturer's lot...
« on: January 13, 2005, 04:06:09 pm »
I'm looking at a car (european) that is under 2 years old, has low ks and fairly low price. It looks like a good deal.
Can I still get the car certified at the manufactuers dealer (put under warranty?)  and can I insist the GM dealer cover that cost as part of the sale agreement.
What would be your steps to assuring a good buy for a car at a different manufacturer's dealer...
Thanks for your help.
Larry

Ericthejet

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 05:32:02 pm »
Would said car not already have warranty remaining?

Ldp

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 07:43:05 am »
Embarrassing, I was thinking used cars once off the original lot had to be certified again by the manufacturer in order to kick in certain warranties..learning. Thanks

William_w

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:30:53 am »
Without mentioning the brand, it is very difficult to give you a direct answer.  When you say European, it can goes from Rolls Royce to a Volkswagen, and everything in between.  Some are more generous with their warranty and some are not.  Usually, for a car that is a couple years old, assuming that it did not exceed the mileage portion of the warranty, there should still be some original manufacturer warranty remaining.  For most brands, these warranties are fully transferable to the new owner.  I believe for certain manufacture like BMW and Mercedes, if the cars are resold at their own dealers, they can become a "Certified Pre-owned" where they get an extended warranty on the power train.  However, there is usually a $1000-2000 premium on these "Certified Pre-owned" as compare to non “Certified Pre-owned.”

I’m sure you can “ask” the GM dealer to cover the cost as part of the agreement, but no one does things for free, and they may charge you for this “service”.  What I would recommend you do is to call up the manufacturer, and explain the situation; they should be able to give you a better answer.

Ldp

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:04:50 am »
Thanks W.

It has a lower than average price for the low kms it has. It's a 1.8T Jetta Wagon. I'm wondering if you would be leary of a situation like that or it doesn't matter where the car is... it's buyer beware regardless. I'll contact VW.  

thanks again

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:49:56 am »

LDP it should have the 4/80 comprehensive 5/100 major component warranty. If you're within those kms and dates, you're covered.

ONLY if sold by a VW dealer and inspected would it be Certified Pre-Owned VW complete with extra 2yr warranty.  

Jetta Wagon would be the route I'd go. 75% of them are TDi's so you're lucky to find a 1.8T at a great price. They look awesome to me, are more rare, and they're all German-built and pretty solid. Like that extra space under the floor of the trunk too, and the '02MY+ have 180hp. Nice, nice... Even in the red. Where'd you find it?

(Message edited by siraquaman64 on January 14, 2005)
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 10:10:26 am »
just watch your oil changes (use the syntetic recommended by VW) coz this engine tends to have sludge problems.

William_w

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 11:33:37 am »
Usually, it doesn't matter where the car is as long as you know some history about the car and it has not been involve in a major accident. Of course, everyone would prefer to buy a used car at a new car dealer that sells the same brand.  But it is really upto you to decide whether this comfort feeling is worth the extra $$$ or the wait for that car you want.  

I suspect the scenerio is as follow: the Jetta Wagon that you're looking at is a recent trade in.  The dealer would rather sell it at a smaller profit, get his money back fast, than to have it sitting on his or her lot for weeks and then sending it to Auction and only get wholesale for it.  

Good Luck negotiating.  And do make sure that it has not been in any accident or has a salvage or branded title.  Because from my recent shopping experience, 8 out of 10 low milage newer model cars that is selling below the average price has been involve in some sort of accidents.  

(Message edited by William W on January 14, 2005)

Ldp

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
Thanks Multi..I've read that on a couple threads..synthetic and religious change regimen critical..Toyota too I've heard. Thanks

Siraqua:

I found it Richmond Hill...at Wilson Niblett GM. That's a 180hp wagon Siraqua...buckle up the kids. Beauty, although I'm not big on the mags or black. VW Platinum grey, is one of the best finishes on a car I've seen in a long time. Anyways. The price seems lower than average considering kms, and without any negotiation. They don't list many specs except it is the GLS. Is there anyway you could check this out Siraqua? I'm just not sure why the guy traded it in? (OK, I don't mean to get you going Multi...) If they get an inquiry from the West Indies they'll write me off to the the rum punch. There is one in VW Barrie,not a 1.8 though, an 04 @ 0.9% competitive. Thanks guys...

Ldp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 12:21:13 pm »
Thanks William for that last post I didn't see.

Those are some of my concerns exactly. It just seems a little extra caution would be in order for sure. What's a "branded title"?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 02:44:06 pm »
LDP, I could be convinced to have a look ;) Have some time and could take a peek for you.

I actually don't know anything about mechanical inspections, but can see the visual stuff and get an idea as to whether it was maintained well.

Also, came across this and it's still on their website.

Looks like an awesome deal with over $5,000 off an '03 1.8T wagon, silver in auto TipTronic.

http://www.orilliavw.com/en_CA/VWRedirectServlet?testWebId=vw-orillia&rMethod=fo rward&rPageName=VehicleDetails_1&rPageType=VehicleDetails&rVersion=live&rLocale= en_CA&search=used&id=81308695&showImages=yes&leadsource=vwCPO

Ldp

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 03:25:05 pm »
Thanks Siraqua:

Did I read the Niblett ad in Autotrader wrong? They wanted 19,900 for same year 1.8T wagon that Orillia wants 27 for? I know they're not exactly the same but not far off 1.8T GLS's also I've read automatics kill the thrill if 1.8T... is there any truth in that?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 03:35:27 pm »
Well, any enthusiast will tell you that.

But 1.8T's have great low-end torque at low RPMs with near zero lag, so don't think it's so bad (this is my response to your eMail ;)

The one in Orillia has 150.00kms. In other words, it's new. Don't know why it's new and an '03, but it is. How many klicks are on Nibler's?

The 1.8T with 17"ers you're describing costs a few thou more than Orillia's as well.

Ldp

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 04:55:13 pm »
Siraqua
I tried giving you the link to the Autotrader listing @ Nibletts GM but to no avail. If you have a minute search wagons and you'll see the 1.8T about 3/4's down. It doesn't have 17" by the looks of the photo and due to to limited specs I guess I'm wrong but I thought it was close to the same model as Orillias. 33,000 kms is still a puppy. Orillia does look like a good deal for a new car thanks. If you find the Niblett ad let me know what you think. I appreciate all your help.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 05:36:25 pm »
Okay, yeah looking at Nibbler's now. '03 black 1.8T 33K, $20Gs.

It's NOT with the Sport Luxury Pkg ($2,700) so it's equipped the same as the one in Orillia '03 silver 1.8T TipTronic <1K, $27Gs. Has 15" alloys. Are you sure Nibbler's  not a manual tranny tho?

An '05 GLS 1.8T Wagon with TipTronic and Lux Pkg MSRP's for just under $31,500. So any way, you're getting a pretty good deal. Especially if you can finance at a low rate if you choose that route. VW Certified offers you that, as opposed to buying at a GM dealership... and the warranty is extended someone told me an additional 2 years (which I found hard to believe unless I misunderstood, but he sells 'em at Owasco).

The one in Autohaus Barrie is a steal! But looks like it's a 2.0L, and I've lived in Barrie - their lot is jammed full of only TDI's because it's a commuting city, so it's no wonder they have to reduce it. The 2L is significantly slower. The TDI's hold their value better than the 2L or 1.8Ts.

I bought my car and get it serviced at Belleville/Cobourg VW. I see one there from them, but it's not ideal.

I can call my friend at Owasco and see if he has any in stock. I know they did... I was looking at one.