Author Topic: For the same price, buy an older Civic or newer Hyundai Accent?  (Read 5767 times)

Straysheepie

For the same price, buy an older Civic or newer Hyundai Accent?
« on: January 13, 2005, 02:54:12 am »
Hi everyone,

Back again to pester you all with questions! I went with my Mom to a used auto dealer today, and two cars caught my eye:

2000 Honda Civic CX hatchback
- 70k kms
- power steering/brakes
- alloy wheels (What's an alloy anyway? )
- no accident but was stolen so it was written off and the owner reimbursed, and *then* ICBC recovered it after a month with lock and ignition damage but no body damage (the dealer had photos), and the airbags were stolen
- 1 year dealer powertrain warranty
- list price $9500 (before taxes)

2003 Hyundai Accent GSi hatchback
- 23k kms
- sunroof, alloys, power steering and brakes, and the balance of factory warranty, think there's CD as well
- in one accident over $2k, was in a rush so forgot to ask where the damage was
- listed price $9888 (before taxes)

Unfortunately neither have air conditioning but it's something I can live with.  I didn't have a chance to drive either since my Mom was in a rush to get to work, but we plan on going back Saturday.  The dealer said he could do $10,000 including taxes for either car, which makes it around $8770 before taxes.  I'm leaning towards the Accent if it handles well in the test drive since it's still under warranty and pretty new.

Thoughts on which one I should go for?  I'm still pretty open-minded so I could keep searching as well... How do the prices sound relative to the conditions and specs of the cars?  My Mom's mechanic said the Civic price is pretty much on target but he doesn't know much about Hyundais.

Thanks and any input is very much appreciated! :-)

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:40:08 am »
Stray, your neighbourhood Hyundai dealer can install AC in that Accent for about $1500.00

Ericthejet

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 12:10:54 pm »
I would pick the Honda.  If you want more options pick the Hyundai.  I have a 96 CX hback and the car is bulletproof.  No major work after 4 years.  If you do get the Civic get in touch with Honda Canada as the exhaust manifold is part of a recall and will be replaced NC.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 06:49:12 pm »
Geez, Sheepie - Haven't bought a car yet???  You're rivalling our very own Jeff's record for hemming and hawing...

And that's the polite version of what I was going to say.

Brigitte

Mdxtasy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 06:57:43 pm »
On the Honda, you are coming into the timing belt replacing mileage....which will cost you some big bucks.  The Hyundai is still fairly new and may not need as much maintenance attention right away.  The Honda will hold their value a bit better.  The Hyundai is a good commuter car.  

It depends on the accident on the Hyundai, what was the 2K in damages?  

Alloy wheels mean that the rims are made of aluminum...not the cheaper steel wheels you get with some basic vehicles.

Straysheepie

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 10:13:56 pm »
@ Brigitte, it's not hemming and hawing as much as not being able to get out to used car lots to look around.  I need to wait until my parents or friends are available to give me a ride since it would take a long time to bus there and I prefer not to go by myself (easy ripoff target), plus we have to go during the short daytime hours which basically means mornings only.  I've been averaging less than 1 car viewing a week which is pretty pathetic :-(

@ Mdxtasy, what you say is pretty much what's been running through my mind, and thanks for mentioning the timing belt replacement - I need to take that into consideration as well.  I don't know the nature of the accident for the Hyundai is since we were in a rush to leave that morning but I will ask for more details on Saturday.

Another option that came up is for my Mom's mechanic (and occasional used car seller) to go to car auctions to look for something for me.  He says he can find something with a rebuilt title, fix it up, and sell it to me at cost plus a bit which would be about $6-7k.  The bonus is we can trust the guy to do a good job (and I would know the car's history) and get a good price.  The downside is the wait time for something right to come up and to repair it... so I'm not sure.

On the bright side, glad I know what alloy wheels are now

Mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 10:19:36 pm »
A rebuilt title?  You mean get a car that's been written off and fix it up?  I would personally stick to a clean car that hasn't been in any major accident.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 11:28:27 pm »
Stray I would stick to the Hyundai...

Its very new and will be trouble free for sometime...

Offline maritime_storm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Ranger Sport 2WD, 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd Whiteout
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 05:00:07 am »
Written off Honda Vs a Damaged Hyundai? Keep looking neither sounds overly appealing to me to be honest, you could be looking at more problems down the road. You should be able to find a decent deal on a unmolested one of either of these models for a few dimes more.
Save the Earth, Ban slushboxes!! Real Trucks Rattle!!

William_w

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 08:35:56 am »
I agree, I think you should keep looking.  If a car has been in any type of accidents, or does not have a clean title, it is alot harder to sell in the future.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:22:57 am »
I agree with William_w....lotsa product out there to choose. I believe that only accidents worth more than $2K need to be reported.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Multipath

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 12:18:28 pm »
Yes, definitely keep looking.  A rebuilt anything is asking for trouble.  That Hyundai may or may not have had some serious damage, though it is pretty easy to hit $2k without doing much.  I think a simple bumper cover replacement can approach that.  If you can satisfy yourself that the Hyundai hasn't had anything major, it may be worth considering, but remember, that car will always carry the "hit over $2k" stigma when it comes time for you to sell it.

Straysheepie

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:33 pm »
Very good points made by everyone, I would love to own something that has been in an accident < $2k but after a month of looking through ads, I have two options around the $10k range (keeping in mind I want an import):

- buy something newer (1999+) with at least one accident over $2k
- buy something older (96-99 maybe) with no accidents, but this is an estimate since I think I've only found ONE car so far with no accident/theft claims, and other cars which *don't* have accidents over $2k have multiple claims for a few hundred dollars, usually due to theft or keying.  I'm guessing this is because I'm looking at popular imports like the Civic.

Am I looking in the wrong places or something?!  I check the buy and sell, autotrader, revscene, Vancouver Sun, Craigslist and am still having trouble... and people wonder why it's taking so long to find a car

Maybe Saturday morning should be spent looking at other used car dealers instead.  I notice a lot of ones with cars in my price range are located in Burnaby/New West, should I be looking somewhere else?  I definitely need to make time to go to Budget since it seems to be highly recommended!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 03:11:05 pm »
Hell, I'd take something from the Big 3 accident free over a dented import.  Accidented cars are bad news.  Whatever you do, make sure to get the car inspected by an impartial mechanic before your purchase!

Multipath

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 04:25:51 pm »
Be ware of some of the used car only dealers and repo lots.  You have to wonder about the cars that end up there.  Many rollbacks end up there.

An easy way to check this is to go to www.aircare.ca, and you can pull up the inspection history of any car that was registered in the GVRD.  It has the odo readings as taken at the testing stations.  They aren't always taken down correctly, so bear that in mind.  It'll be obvious when you see the one-off incorrectly recorded odos, versus the rollbacks.

Spitdriver

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 02:42:10 am »
Stray: congrats, you've narrowed it down.  

First instinct was to suggest you to try to avoid both. Living in the Lower Mainland gives access to lots of cars, so you don't have to buy a rebuild. However, these may be good if they are at the right price.
If you can live with an Accent, they cost less.
For comparison
-an 05 Accent ad from Jim Pattison Hyundai quotes lease rates based on NEW MSRP price of $13,750. (No accident, no kms, 5 yr warranties)(back of Van Sun TV Times Jan 7th)
-a new 04 Chev Alero (small 4 dr) at $11,995 at Preston Chev Olds in Langley from Surrey Now paper Jan 12th, pg 2.
-"2003 HYUNDAI ACCENT GL , 4 dr, auto, 43122 kms Very clean, comes with , 4dr,automatic,air cond,power windows and power locks,balance of factory warranty...Includes Free Trip For Two To Las Vegas. $12995. Stk# 2535. CALL JIM PATTISON HYUNDAI" from www.jphyundai.com.  
- "2003 HYUNDAI ACCENT GS , 2 dr hb, 4 cyl, auto, 41800 kms Air conditioned. $8888. Stk# PU4190. Toll Free 1-888-240-2288. Call ToyotaTown Tel: 604-530-3156" (from buy+sell,Langley)
These lead one to believe those prices may be on the high side for rebuilds. If the dealer went down $1,100 easily, there is probably more room.
So, in your price range, about $4,000 looks to be the difference between a new Hyundai with full warranty, or a 5 year old Civic.
In (rough) payment terms @ 8% (which is high)
$10K over 4 yrs, payment = $244.
$14K over 4 yrs, payment =$341.
or... $14K over 5 years, payment = $284.  
At the end of 4 years, you could have a 9 year old Honda, or a 4 year old Hyundai (with one year left on the warranty).

Or, get the 03 Hyundai for $10,800 (haggle and don't take the trip to Vegas), over 4 years = $265/month.

Figure out which scenario is closest to your ideal.

Burnaby /Kingsway has a reputation for having a number of lots selling rebuilds. Sounds like a good idea to expand your search.

This turned into the omnibus edition.
Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, and sorry if this is covering info you already know. Just trying to be helpful, not presumptuous.

Pick two cars you could live with (like the Civic and the Accent) and call the ads in the Sun and Buy and Sell. Cross off rebuilds and high miles.  
You're now set on two viable cars, and have narrowed down the price.
Pre-arrange your financing with your credit union or bank.  
Find a couple of prospects from ads (or calling the local dealers, and asking what they have in stock). Go in,  test it, and make offers. Allow enough time for the process, and be prepared to walk away if you really can't make a deal.  

Plan B:
convince your parents that they need a new car, and that instead of giving you the downpayment, they could buy and enjoy a new car, and just give you theirs!!!  
Set aside what would have been your loan payment every month, into an account for possible repairs.
Cool,  you get a car with a known history, they get a new car of their own choice.
Actually not such a bad notion. $4K is just less than a year's tuition, or more than a students' entire summer income.

Offline maritime_storm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Ranger Sport 2WD, 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd Whiteout
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 04:02:01 am »
I think you meant Aveo not Alero

(Message edited by Maritime_Storm on January 15, 2005)

Straysheepie

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 09:56:28 pm »
Thanks for pointing things out about the used car dealers, I think I'm leaning towards buying a trade-in at a new car dealer.  From what I read, they tend to keep the higher quality cars on their lots and the used car dealers get the leftovers.  I will probably pay a premium for that, but I think it will be worth the peace of mind - both trade-ins I looked at today at a new car dealer had only $500-600 claims.

@ Spitdriver, your words aren't a waste of bandwidth at all!  You've just helped confirm the process I'm going through (calling, rejecting the trouble ones, etc.) is the correct one... it seems like most people around me are implying "hurry up and get a car" and I'm feeling quite discouraged right now.  However, $10,000 is a lot of money for a student... and I can't stand blowing it on something I'm not 100% sure about.  After driving the Hyundai and Civic today, I can't really bring myself to buy a Hyundai - sadly, it lacks the finesse of a Honda.

I'm reluctant to go too much over $10k because if I do I would prefer to lease/finance a new Civic or Echo and not have to worry about its history.

Oh and my parents have a 2004 Corolla so no way are they going to buy a new car and sell it to me cheap Very clever idea though!

Guess I'll start calling dealers and visit the auto malls...