Author Topic: ABS important?  (Read 8646 times)

Kingkong

ABS important?
« on: January 06, 2005, 12:16:58 pm »
If buying a 2-3 yr old used SUV, should ABS be considered one of the top features in the requirement list?  Will it increase the resale value?

Mdxtasy

ABS important?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 12:20:02 pm »
ABS helps.  A lot of buyers look for this feature nowadays.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
ABS important?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 03:07:26 pm »
Henry, what exactly are you thinking here?  Are you considering buying a new SUV with concerns about it's resale value later?

IMO, ABS is a safety asset on snowy/icey roads for folks that can't drive worth a darn.  My wife is one of those people so I tend to look for a used vehicle with working ABS.  However, when they break, they are really expensive to fix.

IMO, really excellent winter tires are more of a benefit than ABS.

Ericthejet

ABS important?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 05:41:15 pm »
ABS will not add any resale value if you buy a mass produced, domestic SUV.  Also it has to be a feature that the next buyer values.  Go with good tires and if you do get ABS train yourself to steer while standing on the b-pedal.

Kingkong

ABS important?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 12:33:40 am »
Henry whom? Ok will pay attention to tires.  How to test/check for working ABS?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
ABS important?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:34:05 am »
The main benefit of ABS braking is not on ice, but on dry or wet roads where the ABS lets you retain a measure of steering and control that you might not otherwise have. There are several "grades" of ABS systems and some have low efficiency. The four (or even three) channal ABS are superior. In general, you are better off with it than without but there are those that argue they can brake as effectively without it. I recall one instance about 16 years ago in VCR, some bum cut in front of me and had to brake hard and the ABS allowed me to steer around the idiot. I was driving a '85 BMW 535i which had a good ABS system for that time.  
To test, during a test drive, if you hit the brakes hard and get that "chattering" or "pulsing" sound/movement, the ABS is engaged and working.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
ABS important?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 02:11:57 am »
Usually if there is no ABS light lit on the dash at start up then the system is functioning.

What kind of SUV?  It makes a difference because many SUVs use drum brakes on the rear and drums suck because they are normally out of adjustment and ABS to some extent mitigates that problem.

How to test.  Drive along.  Put one side of the vehicle on a different surface that the other and slam on the brakes.  You will feel it.  

Personally, I dislike ABS other than ice and snow.  I enjoy standing on the breaks and ABS will interrupt this on certain types of dry pavement.

S60

ABS important?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 04:35:45 pm »
Good points Ovr, all ABS systems are not created
equal.

Kingkong

ABS important?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 01:31:20 am »
Thanks all for all the valuable info.  Not sure where and how to check for ABS grade.  Thinking about CRV which uses rear disc brakes I believe, need to double check.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
ABS important?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 01:36:08 am »
You are aware that CRV is "real-time AWD", not full time AWD (means it's FWD until sensors kick it into AWD). If this is not important to you, just ignore my comment.

Kingkong

ABS important?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 03:50:16 pm »
Wouldn't real-time AWD be better than FT AWD??!?? Perhaps you can convince me to look for another SUV since CRV resale value is so high anyway.  Have my eyes on CRV for couple months now but its high resale value and limited availability have me still out in search of one ...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
ABS important?
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 05:50:21 pm »
Kingk - why would you think "real-time" (incidently that phrase is a Honda-only phrase) is superior to full-time. That's the reverse of most opinions, including mine. The one benefit of the Honda system is that in FWD only, fuel economy s/be slighty better. Which is better on packed snow, ice, and wet roads - full time. I'm not trying to convince you to do anything - I just wondered if you knew the difference and you did not. Now you do, so you can decide which is best for your needs. "Real-time" is sure better than just FWD or RWD on their own.

Mdxtasy

ABS important?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 06:58:13 pm »
For city driving and using the CRV for little more than to get you through the winters, a real time system works just fine.  It'll help you accelerate through the slippery stuff.  You get into the offroading bit and it's no comparison...the on demand systems will be left spinning it's wheels.  Some on demand systems allow the driver to lock it into full time up to a certain speed.  My has the VTM-4 button that allows me to get into 4wd when in 1st or 2nd gear to get unstuck or something.  

With the on demand systems, it is possible to get into trouble with them on the streets, we were playing around with a friend's CR-V in a parking lot and with the wheel turned, you accelerate....you first get about 1/2 second of understeer and then to my surprise....the power shifting to the rear wheels caused it to come out from behind.  So, I tried the same thing with the MDX, sure enough, the back end wanted to come around but the stability doodads I had kept the MDX pointed in the right direction.  

So my take on it is the on demand systems will help you get through the winters but there are in no way better than the full time systems.  But, like Ovr says, the full time systems will be more thirsty and probably more maintenance costs too.

Kingkong

ABS important?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 04:04:55 pm »
Actually, I know nothing about diff types of AWDs - just heard it from a friend.  All I'm looking for is a good 4x4/awd SUV to help me steer clear on ice/snow/wet road conditions.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
ABS important?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 06:38:22 pm »
In the mini-ute segment, it's tough to go wrong with the Forester, CR-V or Rav4.  All are well made, economical to operate (four-bangers) and have some sort of AWD system that helps out on bad roads.

The reason we bought a Forester is that they're cheaper used than either the CR-V or the Rav4.  It's also a personal thing, as I like the Subie looks too.  With an S-trim Forester you get four wheel discs, ABS, AWD, limited slip rear diff, heated seats, heated wiper-park, heated mirrors, in-dash 6-disc CD and nice 16" alloy wheels.  The back seat is tighter than the Honda, but I didn't really care as it's plenty roomy for us.  We have the OBW for carrying any fat friends that might need a lift.  My wife, myself and my daughter just barely

The Subaru was the same or more moolah as the CR-V new, but does not hold it's value as well.  One reason NOT to buy a new Subie over a new CR-V.

Saint11

ABS important?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 10:14:11 pm »
don't buy a AWD Cute ute and think it will be able to stand against what mother nature does to roads. no AWD or 4WD system can guarantee you safely. just a thought. so if you buying an SUV solely for the purposes of winter driving, you can save urself a bit of money and invest in a car and put snow tires on it. just a thought.......

and to add my 2cents about the CRV. It's Real Time  4WD took me safely up to a ski resort relatively safely. Had to take the coquilla and go up big white. ovr50 will know what im talking bout. But it was owned by crosswinds beacuse it is light and tall. Forester i think is slightly lower than a CRV and has more power too. I felt much more solid with my legacy than the crv during these crosswinds. but who knows, it might not matter if ya ain't a mountain person.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
ABS important?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 10:45:52 pm »
Yep, Saint, I know what you're talking about. The crosswinds (particularily on the Sumas prairie just east of Chilliwack) can get fierce. All vehicles, large or small, short or tall, can be affected by the winds there. I came thru there on New Year's Day and there were strong "outflow" winds. My RAV moved a bit in the wind but it didn't seem much worse than others were getting. I have the optional wider tires (235/60/16) which I believe aid stability some.  
I think that the CRV and Forester (not XT) hp ratings are about the same at 160-165. The Forester may sit a bit lower than a CRV, as you say.  
Trust you didn't get windshield damage which is par for the Coquilhala at this time of year.

Kingkong

ABS important?
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 02:38:00 am »
I need trunk space from time to time to load up bigger items normal cars can't fit in.  I looked at Forester, RAV4 and some others as suggested in this forum, however, they either don't give good gas mileage or have long history to track for their reliabilities.  Personally, I like the RAV4 look, but it doesn't have enough power unless I go with the new model.  Out of the question for now. As for the 2002 or newer CRV, it is not easy to get a decent deal, not to mention it has so few avail on the market.  I'm quite frustrated in fact.  I don't really want to consider a CRV older than 2002, but I may have to.

Ardentib

ABS important?
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 12:05:54 am »
Does the 2003 ZX5 with Canadian Winter package have ABS anti-lockk brakes as a standard feature ?  

Please reply asap,Dennis

Ardentib

ABS important?
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 12:06:51 am »
Does the 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 with Canadian Winter package have ABS anti-lockk brakes as a standard feature ?  

Please reply asap