Author Topic: Used minivan negotiating tips  (Read 7718 times)

Needminivan

Used minivan negotiating tips
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:15:57 pm »
Minivan originally listed at 19,000 for a very short time and now listed at 18,000. Blackbook value is 12-14500. What is reasonable opening offer? and what is reasonable sale price. assume average condition.  

Another minivan Blackbook is 8600 - 10500. Mostly listed in market between 15+ to 18k. This one listed at 17,500 made contingent to getting inspection offer of 14750.00 and got not call back from dealer. In fact it's still unsold on dealer lot. Better than avg to good condition.

any tips generally or on either vehicle?? please

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 09:39:00 pm »
Hmmmmm…..where is my Amazing Kreskin for dummies book…..help us out here. Which brand and model are you looking at?

Mdxtasy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:55:38 pm »
I'm assuming it's an American van with such a low black book and high asking price.  

What's your price limit and what features are you looking for in a van?

Sterling

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 12:28:35 am »
First of all, why do you believe that Black Book values are relevant to your purchase? By giving us a bunch of numbers with no info as to year, make, model, or km's it implies that you believe there is some mathematical formula based on these numbers that will calculate the selling price. No such formula exists. Used cars are sold on a individual basis with the price determined by such things as the market's and the dealer's supply, the market's and the dealer's demand for the vehicle, the vehicle's condition and mileage, whether the salesperson is near or far from a bonus, whether the sales manager is in a good mood that day, or whether the dealer is having a good month or bad month, etc., etc. In other words, there is no set number that a car will sell for. Obviously your offer was too low on the second vehicle. If you want that van then offer more money.

BTW, you wouldn't be an engineer, by chance?

Needminivan

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 01:42:41 am »
You know Snowman if you could stay organized with your book collection, I wouldn't have to always waste my time spelling things out for you. Oh well, i'm looking at MPV minivans 2000 and 2001. The more expensive one being an ES fully loaded (cheap leather in those always looks worse than lower cloth model, but the moonroof is nice) and the cheaper one is an LX. Both have average mileage for age.  

Mdxtasy you sound like a dealer. I have not established a limit per say, looking at the type of vehicles above and looking for a good deal on them. Whatever that is will be my limit.  

Sterling, no i'm not an engineer, you wouldn't be a car dealer by any chance? There's got to be some reference point for the vehicle price since the dealers always have some reference point for wholesale price as well as selling the vehicle and insurance companies always have reference points for assessing a replacement value. So the blackbook values are at the least relative to something. Would be very interested in your specific feedback on numbers with the info above.  

Appreciate any assistance and please let me know if any of you are or are not car salespeople, brokers or otherwise in the business. Thanks.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 07:21:37 am »
Another rude newbie lookin' fer hand holding and with a 'tude ta boot...wouldn't ya just like ta work with this character and wedgie him daily????
    Ask nicely,kiss some ass and we'll get back to you.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 08:01:01 am »
Yep…try to help out and they get pissy….fack ‘em.

Mdxtasy

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 09:36:44 am »
If asking a question to try and help you out means I'm a dealer....I'll go sit on the side with the rest of the boys and salute you.  image

Ericthejet

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 09:49:07 am »
"That's all I gotta say 'bout that"

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 10:36:14 am »
Need - your opening post was very unclear and then you slam Snowy for asking for clarification and call Mdx a dealer? You need to seriously adjust your attitude on a free web-site, Bud. Damned if I'll help you either.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Ericthejet

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 11:17:15 am »
I don't think he'll ask any more questions about minivans today, eh lads?

Sterling

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 12:03:18 pm »
LOL! Classic.

Offline BlackS40

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Körglädjen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 12:23:27 pm »
I can't believe the gall of some people, treating people on this fine board the way they do.  It's as if they think were being paid for this service.  I just can't figure it out.  Fack'em all!!!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 01:56:15 pm »
Right on, Blackgrandma!  Stop Regulars Abuse Now!  

Barrie1

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 01:59:19 pm »
Mr Minivan You are totally mistaken on your statements regarding the people on this Forum. These are some of the Finest Car Folks in this Country with a Extremely Vast amount of buying knowledge. We do NOT allow Dealers on here but Common sense people only. As we can not read your mind, you have to give us the info we require to asisst you so insulting people here dosen't get you any of the knowledge you need.  If treated correctly the folks here will help you with what you need. RE-THINK YOUR STATEMENTS. and Put your Brain in Gear before your fingers in motion.

Saint11

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 10:01:49 pm »
we're all car dealers. ALL OF US. We also all deal MPV's. I can get you a great deal. Trust me. What's your budget. Are you going to finance or lease? we're all out here to steal your precious hard earned money you internet paranoid van buying man.

Needminivan

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 04:31:41 am »
The query about people being dealers was serious. It was a question, not an insult. You will note that the post goes as far as politely, with a “please”, asking that they let me know if they are dealers. I have been talking to many dealers lately and have met some likely hard working people who try to put food on the table for their kids and some likely sleazy people and many somewhere between... just like other professions. I have no way of knowing that dealers are not on this forum and it’s bad to be one here. In fact it makes much sense to a newbie that there would be many dealers here.  

Mdx asked the first thing that I have been hearing from dealers over and over again lately. Sterling said, in different order, almost the exact same thing one particular dealer said to me who also asked me my profession. Perhaps the black book response is common knowledge to others. For me it sounded very much like the same person. I don’t know who is a regular on this forum so asked for people to let me know if they are dealers. I have no way of knowing there are not dealers here and have no way of knowing that asking if one is a dealer is taboo on this forum.

As for any perceptions of rudeness to Snowman, well I apologize to Snowman bc he offered help and he himself thought it was rude. That’s not right and sorry Snow. No one suggested Snowman was rude with his joking. No one suggested that Sterling closed with being rude. I don’t either, however, if Snow or Sterling were newbies, perhaps they would risk being perceived as rude. It was obvious to me that Snow was using humour. I  responded with humour. I did not think that it would appear that I was seriously telling Snowman to find his Amazing Kreskin for Dummies book. There was attitude for a newbie response, but intended only to illicit a chuckle.  

If the first person to respond to my post assumed I was using humour rather than assume that I was attempting to be rude perhaps other posts would have followed along differently instead of concluding with the fack ems fack it’s etc…

Barrie 1 & Ovr50 appreciate you buffering the other comments with at least a bit of an attempt to explain. Anyone interested, re-read the post with the above in mind and without the color of the first post starting to assume that I was rude. My forum id ego will get over being attacked, life is too short to not proceed with common courtesies net forums or otherwise. No concern necc., will always tell people to fack… where warranted, speak nicely otherwise, not to get info, & never to kiss ass, fack that…, but bc that’s the way we should all communicate.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 07:49:00 am »
Did he kiss ass OR bite it ????must be a lawyer..I still can't tell...

Saint11

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 09:40:57 pm »
post number is directly below the username. thats how you tell whos a newbie and who has no life.

Barrie1

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 10:26:25 pm »
Minivan re-ask your questions again as the guys will help you out. This is the Best Automotive Forum in North America if not the World and we all Know It. We do use a lot of humour here but vehicles are taken extremely serious. We do have 1 Car Dealer here who is a member and is very respectful of his standing here. We can not read your mind so tell us what you are looking for or at with all of the details so we can advise you properly. The more we know the better we can assisst you. Make, Model,Year,Milage and options. These all add up or down with the overall condition of the vehicle you are looking at. These members live everywhere across Canada and the USA so we can give you some Very Good Opinions.