Author Topic: Volvo S40 pricing: demo miles and/or ex-rental  (Read 10228 times)

Spitdriver

Volvo S40 pricing: demo miles and/or ex-rental
« on: January 02, 2005, 11:03:15 pm »
Oh fonts of wisdom:
Could you please share your thoughts on what is an appropriate discount from original list on an 04 Volvo S40 SE with leather and sunroof with about 11,000 km, versus a similar car with 16,000 km as a Hertz rental? New price was quoted as $37,995.
I always thought there was a negative connotation about ex-rentals, but dealer maintains that there is very little price difference between demo-miles (used by sales people) and a rental.
For background, last car we bought was an 84 Volvo about 8 years ago for around $3,000, so we've got a severe case of sticker shock. Would really like to stick with Volvos as they've always been great cars for us.
Many thanks for any insights

Nick
(88 Volvo 740, 84 Volvo 245, 78 Spitfire)

S60

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 03:36:11 pm »
Depending when the car went into service (warranty started) I would think $6000-$7000 from
orginal MSRP.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 09:31:34 pm »
You can go to autotrader and compare prices, also check out the blackbook to see what it says. $6K-7K seems about right to me though.  

Good luck.

Spitdriver

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 02:45:38 am »
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.
The deed is done. Ended up at that or a little better, with an extended warranty. Both our other Volvos have over 300,000 km, so we are looking forward to many years of safe and zippy motoring. (Zippy wow, last car I had that felt like this was a 74 Plymouth Duster with a 340, and that was a looong time ago).

S60

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 06:47:33 am »
Congrats Spitdriver, how about some more details
and pics.
Agree with you on the nice 1.9t engine, lots of fun.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 08:16:07 am »
Congrats! Details please on your new cars (and your other two Volvos)

Winson

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 07:17:30 pm »
Congrats!

Spitdriver

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 12:55:13 am »
Thanks for the positive thoughts. As to details, it has front and side air bags, power: windows, door locks, sunroof, driver seat, and single CD player, leather, Directional Stability, heated seats and mirrors, trip computer and alloy wheels.
It is front wheel drive with 5 speed auto box and the 1.9 litre turbo. The 05s have a 2.4 litre non turbo which would be less complicated, and will run on regular gas, whereas this needs premium.  
We couldn't be happier.
It is silver like our present 740. This is my  8th Volvo (I started young) and by far the newest we've ever had.
Our 84 245 actually started life as a diesel, but was converted (at significant expense) to gas by the former owner. It has a carburetted B230 from a slightly younger car and served us very well and reliably. The engine probably has 275K kms on it, the trans has been rebuilt once, and the head has never been off it. Body rust only in the rear wheel buckets, and it passed our quite severe AirCare pollution test last year without trouble.
The 740 has 331K kms, no rust, and the leather looks almost perfect. The leather has been treated with conditioner twice a year, well worth the minimal time it took, I highly recommend it.
I also have a 78 Triumph Spitfire. The S40 feels equally responsive, and has waaay more poop, although in the Spit, 80 kph feels like 120.
Sorry if that's all _too_ much detail. I can jabber on about Volvos and Spits 'til the cows come home.

Winson

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 12:59:26 am »
It's not too much detail. Im sure many others will agree with me. In fact, I bet some would want to know more!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 08:56:15 am »
I'm supremely jealous.  Grrrrr.  Only three more years to go before I get myself an S40.

Welcome to the forum, Spitfire.  You sound like you'll fit right in around here.  Kick off your boots and stay awhile.  

Brigitte

S60

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 09:31:57 am »
Spitfire , how about some pics.
Not sure you know but your auto is equipped with
the side curtain airbag as well.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 12:26:24 pm »
SpitDriver..Hork some big Hooogies our way..Phtoooweeee......lcome to da phlegmatic Shnork&Deliver Phaaarggghhhgghhummmmmmm....!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Spitdriver

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 02:38:26 am »
Safristi thanks, I think! This thread was my first post, but I've been dropping in and lurking periodically for quite a while.  
(Thought registration was more complicated than it actually turned out. It was simple).
You're a great group.
I'm hoping to take a couple of pics on the weekend.  
S60: thanks, I'm learning.  
Brigitte: why 3 years?

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 10:11:26 am »
I think Brigitte is either on a lease with her Jetta or is having a hard time trying to part with it? .... she'll change once she comes over to our side. mwahahaha!

Spitfire I'm on my third Volvo and my third 240 to be exact. They are excellent cars. Very addictive. Thanks doe the detail on your Volvo past and I can't wait to see those pics.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 10:16:17 pm »
Well, it's because I just bought my Jetta in March of 2004.  So as not to end up 'upside down', i.e., owing more than I can sell the car for, I plan to hang on to her until the end of my financial commitment.  

Still jealous,
Brigitte

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 02:24:18 pm »
Those one nite stands always get a girl in trouble..Ahhh March 2004..a crisp evening with a hint of promise in the air...tight ABS,firm seat,nice rear end...what's a girl ta do!!???

Spitdriver

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 12:21:27 am »
Sorry folks (head hung in shame) week end has passed and no pics.
Please pick one or any combination from the following list of excuses for the delay (all are true)
-can't find the camera (grrrr)
-it is my wife's car, and she insists on driving it every day. Gone when I get up, and too dark for pics by the time I get home.
-the car is filthy, I like to hand wash, it is below 0 degrees here, if I wash it the driveway will become a skating rink.  
-even if I could find the camera, don't really want to post pics of a filthy car on a public forum.  
On a more newsy note, we've had snow here. (Suburb of Vancouver B.C. so shock, awe and panic are the appropriate responses from many local drivers).
The Directional Stability Assitance and ABS are very cool. (We've never had a car with either, so this is very exciting).
DSA stops the wheels from spinning and shifts into a higher gear on starts from rest in snow. ABS does what it is supposed to do. With all this, will have to be careful not to become over-confident.
Brigitte: Jettas are nice cars, and hold their value well! My parents had one. They bought it new and traded it in for a minivan, after two years. The dealer set the asking price at $200 MORE than my parents paid for it two years ago!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 01:14:34 pm »
Spitfire, the fact that you list all sorts of reasons for not showing the car tells me that you are indeed very fond of it! As well you should be. I posted some pics of my new ride in another thread and didn't have time to wash either. I promised to post some better pics once I cleaned my car.

I'll have to ask that you make a similar promise

P.S how does your wife like it so far?

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 06:52:48 pm »
Hey, Spit - That doesn't surprise me.  Although I don't think the dealer gave your parents a similarly good price.

I guess I'm falling out of love with Miss Jetta because she's kinda gutless off the line.  And I have a manny tranny.  It's only a 2.0, and these cars are heavy.  Of course, and at the time, she  boogied nicely compared to my old Audi A90.

I shan't speak ill of her any further, in case she's reading this and decides to punish me  .  As far as fit and finish, the solid feel, and the way she looks with the tints I added in the summer, I do love her.  Honest.

So that's why my next car will be what you got.  My coworker has, I believe, the same one you now do in a beautiful charcoal colour.

Brigitte

Spitdriver

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 10:06:49 pm »
Bullit_Blue:  
-yes I promise.
-my wife, she is basking in the glory that is her new car! Terrific comfort, responsive feel, great sounding stereo, good fuel mileage (we think, we'll find out soon), power whatnots including drivers' seat, heated lumbar area as well as seat, outside air temperature reading so seat heating turns on automatically when below 0 C (for goodness sake...!), tinted sunroof, not to mention the brilliant (to us anyway) power
Brigitte: just for comparison, my Spitfire (summer driver) when new (1978) had 57 hp, so your Jetta looks pretty peppy from here.
The 05 S40s come with a 2.4 litre non-turbo, one wonders if that is because of a less than stellar service record from the turbo.  
We'll see.