Author Topic: Strange stuff on Dealer lots  (Read 12023 times)

Needminivan

Strange stuff on Dealer lots
« on: December 31, 2004, 04:20:36 am »
I am looking at Mazda MPV minivans in Vancouver and I notice that the majority of them on dealer lots are out of province (usually Ont).  

What in the world is up with this? Is there something the consumer should know as to why this is. The dealer says because of demand, but if the car is so popular 4 years ago in another province then wouldn't supply and demand balance such that each province can pick up enough vehicles from within province?

It use to be a car moved provinces cause it was a problem, rebuilt etc. But why so many mazda mpvs from auctions brought onto BC lots. Are these all junk, seems unusual.  

I guess these are mostly lease returns, but would carfax differentiate between one or two owner lease return and rental?  

I also don't understand why all the stickers on these are between 4000 to 7000 over blackbook retail and usually about 3000 over gold book retail when they are out of province vans. Appreciate any assistance.

Mdxtasy

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 11:25:13 am »
A lot of them are bought at auction and shipped over to BC and Alberta.  Used cars are cheaper in Ontairo so that's how some of these dealers make their profit.

Needminivan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 02:47:56 pm »
It seems that the gold book price is only a few hundred dollars less out east. Wouldn't the consumer market just be more hesitant and thus end up paying less for the vehicle after it's brought over such that any additional profit is gone.

Davidm

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 09:18:33 pm »
Usually BC drivers are pretty phobic about out-of-province cars.  Never know what that evil "eastern winter" has done to them

Surprised about MPVs as well, they never seemed to sell that well in BC.  Could probably get a smokin' deal on a new one.

Offline eddy4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 10:32:45 pm »
I think there is an  abundance of used vehicles on the ontario market, this drives down the prices and makes some of these vehicles impossible to move even at a small profit. So they go to the best paying market.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 02:42:45 pm »
The market for used cars is stronger in B.C. and Alberta, and therefore, prices are a bit higher.  I don't know a single dealer that does a good used car trade that doesn't buy cars from Ontario.  The GTA nearly has as many people as Alberta.

I don't mind where they come from anymore.  With some rare exceptions, cars that spend their first 3-4 years in Ontario are no more prone to rust than cars living anywhere else.

Our "new" Forester came from Ontario, and it's in superb condition.  There is not a spot of rust on the car and the underneath looks great.  One thing I do know is that if the dealer here hadn't got such an aggressive wholesale price at auction, I couldn't have got the price I wanted on it.

As long as hordes of Ontario-o-ians keep handing back the keys to their cherry 3-4 year old leased cars, it's great for those of us that like paying 40-50% of the new price with 75-80% of the life left.

Offline eddy4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 10:57:24 pm »
There is a used car dealer in Stratford Ontario that sells return lease cars at prices that are heartbreak low levels for folks that paid full pop on the new car. These cars lose 40 -60 % of their original value in 12 - 30 months.

All models from Focus to Lexus.....take a beating

Barrie1

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 11:02:51 pm »
That must be Sutherlands I believe. I have seen unbelievable deals on their lot. A one year old Seville with all the toys for $22,000. It had 51,000 klms on it. Not a spot on the car anywhere. They do carry all makes and models.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 09:30:22 am »
Actually they are called STRICKLAND'S...they are in the Autotrader....Stratford ONT

www.stricklandautosales.com

They tend to have higher mileage and they "say" a no dicker sticker.But as noted there are some
cream puffs amongst the bunch and well worth a look.A friend came up from Alabama and bought an EXPLODER!! 2 years ago from them ,he has put mega miles on it and it's still running strong.Other than that I can't say one way or the other about their vehicles.They do have two other outlets/operations on down Niagara way and one in the States.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Barrie1

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 03:32:33 pm »
Thank You Saffi, I was close but this ain't horseshoes. You are quite correct on them selling some very good cars at extrememly low prices.  

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 07:45:16 am »
Strange stuff on dealers lots!.....it has been a while since I had some strange stuff

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 09:54:49 pm »
I would never buy a car that came from down east.
Johngenx,you say you subie is in great shape? Have it up in the air,side by side with car of the same year and you WILL see the differance. Rust in seams,bolt heads rusted so bad they are round, ground straps that are rusted right through. Under the hood,look at the color of the aluminum parts. The eastern ones are pitted and grey,the alberta car will still look good. Look at the rotors,and brake pads. I know you said the dealer did a brake job for you once the PPI was done. Fact is,this should have been done BEFORE the car was even offer for sale.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Barrie1

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 11:49:15 pm »
We treat our Cars a lot better then that Jamie, We do have some very good Undercoating Shops in this area and respect our vehicles as much as you do. I don't John is a GreenHorn on buying vehicles and would have seen the underneath long before deciding to purchase this car. I have been to BC and have seen some pretty tough equipment there as well as in other Provinces.  If John says this car is in Excellent Condition then I am sure it is.  

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 12:02:03 am »
I know you said the dealer did a brake job for you once the PPI was done. Fact is,this should have been done BEFORE the car was even offer for sale.

I saw the car coming off the truck, and my own inspection saw the pads at maybe 30%.  I negotiated fresh brakes, had nothing to do with the PPI.  PPI was to double check stitch jobs, etc.  Peace of mind.

The underside looks no different than any other Subie I looked at, including local models.  Undercoating intact, no rust, exhaust looks great.  

Now, there are "rusty" models from the east, and I've seen a few.  But, even from bone-dry Alberta, I've seen this.  People that don't look after their cars live everywhere.  I used to be severly biased against Ontario and Quebec cars, die to rust and the long term implications of salt usage.  But, rust proofing has become much better on the last few years and even Alberta is salting it's roads now.  We have to put up with paint that's smashed to bits from giant rocks poured on the roads.  Sand?  Where?  GRAVEL.  Combine gravel with water-borne paint coatings, and we have a province of cars with hoods that are chipped to bits.

Our Forester undercarriage looks no different than the no-winter-no-salt-ever Outback we bought from BC.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 12:02:19 am »
John (who can speak for himself very well indeed) has bought and sold many cars and is a fairly fussy guy about maintenance. I very much doubt that John would have purchased any vehicle without giving it a very close look-see. I would give him the vote of confidence that he did not buy a rust-bucket.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Morningla

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 11:11:08 pm »
there are too many dealers buying used cars from the east coast.  It's driving our market down.  I hope the provincial governemnt can do something about this.  This in turn makes the new car market in alberta worst.  settling for these 0% promotions.  These deals seems good until you decide you want to sell your new car.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 11:33:32 pm »
You want the GOVERNMENT to intervene in the used car market?? What next - the provincial govt. (Alberta, no less) gives candy bars to all children under 6 so the dentists can make more money?? That's the nuttiest idea I've heard in a long time. Is there any thought at all goes into some of these posts?

Mdxtasy

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 11:36:07 pm »
Oh that's funny....I really hope he wasn't serious about that post.  I'm still laughing at it.  image

Winson

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 11:51:55 pm »

Barrie1

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 11:59:11 pm »