Author Topic: Recommend mechanic for used vehicle inspection in Vancouver?  (Read 3668 times)

Straysheepie

Recommend mechanic for used vehicle inspection in Vancouver?
« on: December 29, 2004, 10:31:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

Finally deciding between a couple of used Honda Civics and I need to find a mechanic to inspect whichever vehicle I choose to purchase to see if everything is sound.

I could use BCAA but I haven't heard spectacular things about them on this forum since they rely mostly on visual inspections.

If anyone can recommend a mechanic they trust to inspect and prepare a report for a used vehicle I will appreciate it very much.  Thanks!

Needminivan

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 03:43:36 am »
I thought BCAA was pretty decent, but i guess it's because i've been lucky with my cars. I am in the market and would appreciate same info also.

Multipath

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 01:06:01 pm »
I'm not too keen on the BCAA inspection.  I haven't had the greatest experience with them.  In fact, they missed a plugged up radiator!

Straysheepie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 10:05:10 pm »
Yeah, I hear they miss things during the check.  I also heard from a mechanic that BCAA sometimes will make a car sound worse so you'll go back and pay for more checks on other cars... can't verify whether this is true or not though :-(

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 12:13:39 pm »
If these BCAA stories are in fact true, I would place an inquiry with BCAA directly....and see what kind of a response they give. I am a BCAA member and would be very unhappy if these types of stories are true.....as I may need their inspection services in the future.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Straysheepie

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 01:36:49 am »
I'm pretty sure if I contact them I'll be told the rumours are just that.

My Mom's a BCAA member as well and she's had an inspecton done that rated the car as merely 'average' which is in the middle.  The report doesn't really mean anything if people don't know about cars (like me), so I'd rather get an independent mechanic to check it out.

Slippers

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 11:22:50 am »
The Automobile Protection Association website (www.apa.ca)recommends the C. Martino Autocenter at 2055 Clarke dr. (604)255-3558.  
I haven't used their services but I might as I'm planning on buying a used car soon.  
The APA has been featured on the W5 tv show.

Offline bob

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 01:03:18 pm »
Go talk to Gary or Doug at At Gary's Tireland Brake and Alignment" on the corner of 11th and Kingsway. They are very thorough and will not feed you a bunch of bull. They aren't a bargain shop by any means, but they are strict and straight shooters. They do out of province inspections and the like and do this sort of thing a lot...

I used to manage the retail tire side (2 seperate business in the same building) so I know them well and they have a very strong reputation... Tell them Bob who used to work their referred you (I live in Calgary now) and they will probably have a million jokes about me! LOL! Good guys overall... Just don't expect any sugar coating! LOL!