Author Topic: Buying a New Toyota Highlander  (Read 6211 times)

Mudskipper

Buying a New Toyota Highlander
« on: December 25, 2004, 11:18:55 pm »
Hi Everyone
I am a long time lurker but first time poster. I am thinking of buying a new Toyota Highlander. Is it true that for you cannot negogiate a price for any new Toyota's? You simply pay the MSRP?

And two other questions? How reliable are hybrids in the long term ? - justing about it as a hybrid Highlander will be coming out soon. Any feedback from other hybrid owners? And how is the depreciation on hybrids compared to the regular engine equivalent?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 11:34:23 pm »
Welcome, Mud. Might be pretty slow on here for replies today and the next few days; but hang in and you'll get feedback. There seems to be little room to negotiate on Toyotas. Whether it's due to "Access Pricing" or whatever, just a fact of life. Also, if it's the HL Hybrid you're interested in, I suspect there would be zero negotiation.  
I can't comment on your Hybrid queries as I know little about them other than what I read and hear. Maybe others will know more but they are a new product so not much owner experience available. I think their depreciation curve will be dictated by how well they sell and how well they perform.  
Merry Christmas and best of 2005 to you.

(Message edited by ovr50 on December 25, 2004)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Swishguy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 11:12:42 pm »
I know for a fact there is just over $3000 mark up on a Highlander. I checked out an 04 on car cost canada. I can,t remember the exact amount but it was a base 04 v-6 awd package

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 06:58:45 am »
Yep……even with my 20 plus years of auto buying experience and 3 weeks of negotiating tactics I could only hack $1000 off the MSRP back in 2002. I basically ran between three dealers up north with faxed quotes until they would go down no more. I did whine about the lack of centre console prior to “Package B” days and they installed one in for nothing.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 08:50:42 am »
There is some flexibility on new Highlanders, depending on the package of course, but as to hybrids - I would advise waiting a while before venturing into these.

Remember these vehicles are gas and battery powered and on the Prius it takes 38 batteries at a cost of $132 each - that's over $5 grand of batteries that WILL have to be replaced eventually.

Everyone is ga-ga over these things as being green and good for the environment yada yada, but down the road you will still have to replace all those batteries and to me that's not a green thing nor is it enough of a cost saving to make it worthwhile.

I think the car is nice and know the Highlander will be good too, but I also believe that when the novelty wears off and the reality of the acutual cost of ownership becomes apparent they will get dumped fast.

Stay with what's current - gas power and you still have an excellent vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 09:46:12 am »
Good point INCO….way too much hype over nothing. This “trendy” interest over the hybrids will taper. Alternative fuels like hydrogen are far better alternative but decades away for implementation.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 11:20:21 am »
Due to a recent court ruling, I thought that Toyoto pricing is now left up to each dealer....ie. no more Access or "one price" pricing.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Fhw

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:41:10 pm »
I find it's a virtual waste of time to try and make a deal with Toyota dealers.  The situation is even worse here in Atlantic Canada, where one company owns half of the dealerships (of all car manufacturers) within 100 km of Halifax.

Best bet is to negotiate deals on options, and keep a close eye on finance rates (or rebates if you can swing the cash).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 02:09:55 pm »
Saw a 2001 Highlander with low sub 70K for $22,000 on Autotrader before the HOLY DAYS,can't miss /mess with that.....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 11:13:29 pm »
fhw, I assume you are talking about O'Reagans? I have had no personal experience with them, but have had friends who have and having them own almost all the dealers is definately NOT in the consumers favour. They make a fortune though, that's for sure.  I went with a friend of mine a couple month's ago to the toyota dealer in Dartmouth and they wouldn't budge at ALL on an echo hatch. I used one I might add. It was not an enjoyable experience...

But I digress.... sorry to take away from the thread.