Author Topic: Final Decision: TSX or Legacy  (Read 11607 times)

Vaki

Final Decision: TSX or Legacy
« on: December 16, 2004, 10:32:49 pm »
I tried both cars and they are great cars! I basicly think they do not aim for the same thing. Its wrong to say the TSX is not worth it or such jsut because it is underpower compared to a legacy. The TSX's exterior and interior made up for it. It is also wrong to say the Legacy is crappy and such inside because its not that bad..its actually very acceptable. The legacy seems smoother than the TSX somehow, but the TSX's look just made up for most of the stuff! Both cars are great! The TSX is around 40500 out the door and the Legacy is around 41500 out the door..so a $1000 different. I like both car very much and its sad that there is no balance between these two cars for the same price. I really like the interior and exterior of the TSX and its leather seats are great. I also like the legacy's smoothless and its engine. I just want to check out you guys' opinion. I am kind of concern about fuel costs and reliablility too. For example, repair costs(repair parts) Also one more thing, the TSX has better color than the legacy(carbon grey!). Feel free to leave your input!! Thanks guys!
Also! TSX has xenon light, legacy has halogen and fog!

(Message edited by Vaki on December 16, 2004)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 11:47:47 pm »
I'm sorry, but the Legacy's interior being "not that bad..its actually very acceptable" just doesn't cut it for 41500$ IMO. I'd go with the TSX just because of its great interior compared to Subaru's. Only advantage the Legacy has is the AWD system... but if you don't need that, go with the TSX without a doubt.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 11:51:41 pm »
Unfortunately on here, Vaki, you'll get lots of opinions (some of which will be biased and not objective) and in the end, it really gets down to which one suits YOU the best and which one YOU feel best driving. They are both excellant cars and I wouldn't begin to try to lead you to one over the other. Make a list of all the things that are important to YOU (like, maybe, performance, comfort, appearance, reliability, cost of operation, resale value estimate, fun-to-drive, etc, etc.) and then assign values to the items and see which gets the most points. I have often done that in the past and it helps clarify YOUR decision. Good luck.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Winson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 12:00:00 am »
What Ovr50 said. I'd take the TSX though but that's just ME.

Awdriver

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 08:51:25 am »
Both are excellent cars - what a tough decision!  But I'd say it's be safe to go with a gut feeling on this one.  You'll be happy either way.  Financing/incentives may help the decision too.

Eax

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 09:26:05 am »
TSX

Crolly

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 09:31:57 am »
After the onslaught of wet snow last night, this morning my apartment's open parking lot was covered with a layer of ice.  Drove around the lot for 10 minutes to practice my driving on ice. I'm blown away with the amount of control thanks to AWD and winter tires.

What Ovr said... rank it, score it, then get it

by the way, I vote for the Legacy, only because AWD is way up there in my priority list

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:23:49 am »
I was going to vote for the legacy but reading between the lines it seems like you enjoyed the TSX more.

Both will be reliable IMO, the boxer engine in the Legacy will feel smoother and have more torque (less effort to drive).

The TSX did feel somewhat strained to me for a semi lux car.

AWD is great, it's really a toss up, but you made so many points in your post about the TSX it seems to me you like it more.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 11:10:45 am »
I like the TSX's look, but as a daily driver I'd take the Legacy. I had a chance to drive an '05 Outback 2.5i Ltd. last week and I was very impressed. Drove and felt like an expensive car, and the base 2.5 engine was smooth, quiet and punchier than I expected. The doors closed with a solid thunk, and the tan leather interior with wood & silver trim looked and felt very upscale. Hard to believe it came from the same company that did the grey plastic and tweed fabric interior of my '04 Impreza.

I'll agree with the majority that probably one or the other appeals to you more. If it's the TSX you certainly wouldn't be disappointed with it either.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 11:19:44 am »
$40,000 fer the TSX??? Eax says they are screaming deals on the Accord 6 & RSX's..calm down and ride 'em first.....they are "kissin' cousins" sort of under the skin...THIMK MAN THIMK
FIRST!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Eax

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 12:18:04 pm »
tax in you'd be there no on a TSX.  Even at invoice including freight a TSX would be $37910.90.   32016 invoice+995*1.15....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 02:30:04 pm »
Legacy GT...Good quality, nice styling,awd and 250 hp are just too good. With an MT and big smiles.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +23/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 03:33:44 pm »
Between Legacy GT and TSX, I'd take the Legacy, but I'd take the TSX over a Legacy 2.5i Limited.

The TSX feels a bit more precise in the handling department, but the engine could use a bit oomph in the torque department. The engine is a jewel, but it's a small jewel. You have to squint harder to see it.

Personally, the drivetrain is what keeps me smiling when the payments are being made. The dead cows, the gadgets are nice, but that isn't what keeps me itching to grab the keys. If I wanted leather and serenity, I'd rather just plop myself in front of my leather couch and my HDTV.  

Every winter, I remind myself what fun AWD is. In fact, I can't imagine EVER driving a 2WD car again in the winter. It just seems such a shame to have two wheels not doing anything for you.

I'm always surprised how much of a big deal people make of the interior quality/materials. I mean, how much quality do you need? The Legacy is fine inside thank you.  

(Message edited by rayt on December 17, 2004)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 03:56:04 pm »

I'm with Rayt.

Except I don't mind FWD. If you live in snowy climate out of the city, AWD would be worth it. It's beneficial, no doubt, but I can get by without it.

Make sure your local Subaru dealer has a good rep and is reasonably priced. Some dealers are smaller shops and it makes me wonder.

(Message edited by siraquaman64 on December 17, 2004)
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

S60

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 04:10:21 pm »
Rayt posts *I'm always surprised how much of a big deal people make of the interior quality/materials. I mean, how much quality do you need?*

As much quality as my $ will buy, it would not be much of an issue in a $12,000 car but once you start spending north of 30Gs, your expectation rises.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 04:39:02 pm »

Yeah, but the new Legacy really doesn't scream $12Gs either like it used to.

I think it's competitive now. Not best in class, but far from worst. The car has other attributes that surpass what it may lack in complete fit, finish, and materials.

I happen to really like the two-tone effect in the TSX and think the interior is superb. But I wouldn't feel cheap in the Legacy by any means. And the 250hp engine would surely put a smile on my face, even in winter.

Suds

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 07:27:09 pm »
it seems to me that u might be worried about the turbo and 4wd.dont be.subaru has been very good at their craft,which is turbos and fulltime 4wd .my old legacy turbo which i traded in 1998,is still going strong in 2004.
which is 14 years by the way.when i go to the dealer, i see it there.still been drivn by a mechanic at the dealership.makes me want to see  
if i can buy it back

Davidm

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 08:44:48 pm »
AWD and 250hp would do the Legacy GT for me, but that sweet TSX gearbox would keep nagging me back.  Fortunately for me it would be decided quickly in favour of the Legacy TG as I can't stand FWD.

Luxury, resale, quality, great around town, don't care about AWD - TSX

Power, AWD, different, bigger - Legacy

Vaki

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 11:22:02 pm »
What do you guys think of the xenon light? I drive kind of an old car (halogen headlight on 98 civic). The light coming out from the TSX is very very nice when i saw them around Vancouver at night. For the legacy, it only has a halogen headlight and fog light. Anyone seen those before? Are they bright enough?
I have to admit, i lean towward the TSX more. Do you guys really think the power is insufficent for this car at this price?

(Message edited by Vaki on December 17, 2004)

Mdxtasy

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 01:46:53 am »
The power is fine.  It's not a barn burner and it does need to be revved up a bit to get into the sweet spot....but the TSX is a very capable machine.  It's a little small in the rear but if you aren't hauling passengers on a daily basis, it should not be a big concern.  I think the xenon lights are great on the TSX and a shame they aren't even an option on the Legacy.  I haven't driven a new Legacy but I highly doubt the TSX will be even close in performance.