Author Topic: Selling to a relative  (Read 3218 times)

Jaysfans

Selling to a relative
« on: December 15, 2004, 07:50:08 pm »
  My daughter goes to University in Syracuse and I`m considering "giving" her our `94 Grand Prix. I`ve glanced through the posts to see if my question is redundant but it doesn`t look like it.
 We live in the Oakville Ontario area and she will be in Syracuse until May (thank goodness).
 Jay

Sterling

Selling to a relative
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 07:55:10 pm »
Question?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Selling to a relative
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:37:17 pm »
I think the question is "good or bad idea to sell to a realative?"
Personally I would and have.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Jaysfans

Selling to a relative
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 09:41:21 pm »
Sorry about that guys! The question is what is involved in the sale? I understand that the PST is not to worry about, but what about transferring plates?

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Selling to a relative
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 12:51:36 am »
Just got a car froim the inlaws a few months back.  You can gift one car per year to a close relative and not pay PST on the red book value, iirc.  There is never any GST on a sale between private parties.

You can transfer the plates.  Saves a little money.

You will need to have the car e-tested and certified, then just take all the paperwork, and your daughter, to the nearest MTO office.  Try to go in off hours to avoid lines if you are near a busy one.  We waited over an hour.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Selling to a relative
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 12:59:53 am »
Sorry...I just realized I was actually relevant and helpful.  I promise not to do it again.  I should have written this:

Hi,

I know a guy who works in sales in the auto industry and can get deals on almost any car. If you want, send him an email and you both can discuss this in further detail.

Thanks

*sniff*  I miss ya, Wellesley.

Barrie1

Selling to a relative
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 03:08:33 pm »
I did that with one of my Daughters. I gave her my truck years ago as a gift. We had to go to a JP and swear she was my daughter and get a form signed by him at the time. I paid for the transfer and new plates only. This was in 1996 and she drove the truck out to Vancouver back then to live. I have since got her a new truck and got mine back.

(Message edited by Barrie1 on December 16, 2004)

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Selling to a relative
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 05:06:36 pm »
Adopt me.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Selling to a relative
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 09:02:13 pm »
What you need is anyone with a commissioner of oath stamp. Lawyers do it but don't require stamps.  It's just so stupid.  The idea is that you are swearing under oath that you are relatives pursuant to the governments definition and that the giver has had the car at least one year.  You gotta get the forms first.  Fill them out and then get them sworn.  You both gotta be there at the same time.  Then off to Ministry office. PIA

Not 100% sure, but I do not think you need a safety certificate.  I know between husband and wife you do not because I flip vehicles back and forth for tax and liability issues.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Selling to a relative
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 10:16:06 pm »
That may be the case in Ontario, it's much easier in BC. When I gave a car to my son, it was valued at $1 on the exchange, I signed a form saying it was a gift and no taxes applied. No need for sworn affadavids here. But then "Jaysfan" doesn't live in BC.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White