Author Topic: Recommended used car dealers in Vancouver?  (Read 15547 times)

Straysheepie

Recommended used car dealers in Vancouver?
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:20:11 am »
Hi all,

The people on this forum have been a great help in recommending a car for my needs, and it is very much appreciated.  Now that I have some cars in mind, I need to go have a look at them at a dealer and perhaps do some test drives as well.

Are there any places in Vancouver that you recommend?  Anywhere to avoid?  I was told anything along Kingsway is suspect, but other than that I'm not sure if I'll be ripped off or not.

I've looked at some private sale ads and the prices there seem to be lower than dealers - should I try those instead?  Or do I have some bargaining room with dealers?

Thanks very much and I look forward to your input!

Gpw11

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 02:43:28 am »
You have barganing room with either, but more so with private sales.  There's pros and cons of each.  

Private: more barganing room and often more trustable then a used lot.  More even negotiations.  Cheaper, and no GST.

Dealership: Can buy warranty, often cars in better visual condition, also legal recourse in case they rip you off.  There's also a lot of laws in BC dictating what dealerships can and can do, but not what private individuals can.

Check my reply in your other thread to see some sites to check out to get information on how to deal with dealerships here, but generally, with used dealerships it can be hit and miss.  I've never used one, so I can't really tell you about any in paticular, but a lot of the ones on kingsway seem to be ...well, typical used dealerships.

Honestly, the best bet (although possibly more expensive) would probaly be to deal with a new car dealership or automall.  They have used inventories they get through trade ins, and often have a higher standard of quality with what they're going to sell.

Beyond that, the absolute best place you could probably go if you can afford it is the Budget used car dealership in Vancouver.  Sorry, I can't remember the adress at the moment, but it's one of the highest reccomended places to get a used car in Canada.  The thing is that they're previous rental cars, and they're all pretty recent models, so they may not have what you're looking for (and they don't show the majority of their stock on the internet).  But they are ICBC reccomended, all cars are BCAA inspected already, and the reports are readily available.   I'd check them out.

Needminivan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 03:54:39 am »
I am a bit confused. How can a car rental company be the one of the highest recommended places?

Isn't it true that many car rental companies neglect to do oil changes or fudge records of the same. And this simple thing along could be undetectable by an oil change before sale, but a few years down the road will mean serious work?

Has ICBC done a longitudanal study of Budget cars?

Saint11

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 03:06:44 pm »
one budget dealership is located on granville/marine right before you get onto the arthur laing bridge.

Davidm

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 09:21:01 pm »
I've had the best luck at the dealerships in the Richmond Auto Mall and the Northshore Auto Mall.  Both have some return/satisfaction guarentees for more recent used cars.

A lot depends on what you are looking for (brand, model, age).

Straysheepie

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 10:08:08 pm »
I think the cars at Richmond Auto Mall are out of my budget but I'll try both places.  I hear there's a Burnaby Auto Mall too by Byrne or something... is that recommended?

It's hard going out to dealerships to look at cars since I don't have one yet... need parents to chauffeur me around to see them :p

Saint11

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 05:02:00 am »
burnaby auto mall on marine/byrne is like 3 used car lots with 50 cars each.  

fraser valley automall tends to move the most when it comes to pricing.  

i live in richmond, 5 minutes from richmond automall so i obviously go there. but the service there, if you go by urself tends to be very poor. very snobby sales reps.  so bring your parents along.

Davidm

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 12:54:37 pm »
Agree that bringing your parents will help.  Fraser Valley Automall is a long way, but they are supposed to be more flexible on price.

If you tell us what you are looking for (price, age, type, etc.) we can help more with specific dealers and contacts.

Straysheepie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 01:46:37 am »
I'll try to go to the Burnaby Auto Mall soon since it looks like they have a good selection.

I was thinking of getting a mid-90s Mazda 323 or early 90s Civic hatchback for < $4000 so I can pay it in full but I went to the crashtest.com website a little while ago and they both have abysmal test results.  So I'm thinking hard about financing a newer car instead (say a late-90s or 2000 Civic) and have a car with better safety features.

I'm going to see if I can bus around myself sometime this week to look at used car lots in Burnaby and New West (my parents are busy working), is it really going to be problematic if I go by myself?  I'm a small Asian girl so it might not be such a bright idea... but I just want to get a better idea of what's on the market before I resume school next week.  After that I'll probably be so busy and desperate I'll buy any car that comes along

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 11:05:47 am »
Stray - any early/mid 90s cars will likely have crash test results that are much poorer than cars built today. If that is important to you, you will need to get a newer car and pay the extra. If $4k is your budget, then you will certainly have to compromise on what you get. A mid-90s 323 or Civic is probably a decent car for the money. You can't have everything for $4k.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline bob

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 12:33:13 pm »
When I was managing tire stores in Vancouver, we used to do a lot with the Regency group of car dealers. I can't speak for them overall, but they never seemed to skimp on tires for the used cars and wanted everything to be completely up to snuff. I would look at Honda as they have a good guaranteed used car program with fairly strict standards...

Saint11

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 03:17:51 pm »
small asian girl eh? why don't u bring a guy friend who knows a bit about cars to help ya out. i wud go. but school starts today and i have class in 1hr.

on a side note. saw a small asian girl park an escalade ext. that was interesting...

Davidm

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 04:07:53 pm »
I could help if you want, but random guys from the internet are pretty scary concept.  Parents help in getting time from sales people.

If you end up going the 323 route I can recommend an excellent Mazda-specific mechanic - he would do an inspection as well.

Straysheepie

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 03:47:48 am »
Ovr50, I didn't appreciate the huge gap in safety features between older and more 'current' cars until I looked into it - I was just looking for something reliable in the beginning since I don't care about the looks, and it would have been nice to pay for the car in full with the cash I have on hand.  I'm willing to pay extra now that I see there's the dramatic difference in safety ratings.

Bob, thanks for the tip about Regency, my Mom purchased her '04 Corolla from them actually and she can ask the sales rep for me... actually, we visited them to inquire about the Echo earlier.  We also went to Regency Honda a month ago and there was a fairly new Civic but it had been in several expensive ($2k+) accidents already and I was surprised to see it being sold there, so I wasn't sure about the quality of their used cars.

Thanks Saint11 and Davidm, but I figure I should bring my parents since they're the ones contributing to the purchase.  The gesture is very much appreciated though :-)

I'm surprised how long it takes to find a decent car... it's been a month and still haven't found anything that is acceptable (a lot of cars have multiple crashes/thefts) up to ~$8000 or so.  I'll start looking at cars around $10k and hope I have better luck.  My Mom huffed at me tonight to just lease an Echo so we can stop looking since I'm so picky! The more I learn the more reluctant I am to go for just any car...

Davidm

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 02:54:14 pm »
http://www.buysell.com/showad.asp?id=30382775

99 Protege LX $10K at the North Van Mazda dealer (in the NorthShore automall).  I have a contact their if you want an intro.

Lots of 99-01 Protege's in around $10K.

Offline bob

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 03:45:55 pm »
Quote "Bob, thanks for the tip about Regency, my Mom purchased her '04 Corolla from them actually and she can ask the sales rep for me... actually, we visited them to inquire about the Echo earlier. We also went to Regency Honda a month ago and there was a fairly new Civic but it had been in several expensive ($2k+) accidents already and I was surprised to see it being sold there, so I wasn't sure about the quality of their used cars." Quote

Actually, with cars these day, getting a 2g hit isn't hard to do. The thing to do is find out what the hit was... If the car went under the bumper of a big truck or something, it may have been fenders and a hood with no component damage tec... Not justifying the car you looked at, but just to make a point that it may not have been a huge deal, so long as it was disclosed and the price was right...

Other than that though, I understand your hesitency...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 03:49:15 pm »
Stray - That Echo Hatchback suggested by your Mom may be a good idea. I would lease one if my daily/constant drive was in Vancouver (but I'd have another car for the major hiway jaunts).

Saint11

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 09:42:14 pm »
have you tried going on revscene.net in the classifieds to look for a car privately. the prices there are generally better.

Straysheepie

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 02:23:36 am »
Funny how I mentioned the Civic from Regency Honda since my Mom spoke to her contact at Regency Toyota today who called next door and the price had dropped at least $3000 already, probably because the multiple accidents scared people off.  I wouldn't really mind driving something like that but it would be much harder to sell later...

I do like the Echo HB styling very much, but the hatch compartment is a bit small and it got 3 to 4-star ratings in crash tests vs the '05 Civic which got 5.  I'm pretty sure I'll get into an accident in the first year or two of constant (but not daily) driving so I want something a bit sturdier... now I'm wondering if I should follow advice of car guides for new drivers and buy something mid-sized for better protection.  I picked up a copy of the Lemon-Aid for New Drivers today so that should provide a better perspective since it's 'meant' for people like me :-)

Also with the Echo... I'd be carrying a heavy debt.  I want to travel after I graduate in 2-3 years and would like to be able to sell the car if I'm away for a year, without worrying about people taking over my lease or how to cover the rest of the lease.

And yes, I did look at Revscene and some of the cars I'm interested in have been stolen and in accidents multiple times I was looking at Civics and Integras though so I shouldn't be surprised...

Will have a look at the Protege, although I am still trying to be flexible about make/models...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 11:16:36 am »
Stray - thinking that you will get into an accident in the first year or two of daily VCR driving is a weird way to approach car buying. Why do you think so? Are your own driving skills sub-par; or you think all other VCR drivers are reckless/crazy? In any event, buying some kind of a "tank" to protect yourself is not the way I'd want to go. Sometimes the best accident protection is the accident-avoidance ability of the smaller/nimble car (unless you truly fear your own abilities). I would not reject a Echo HB because it's small, in fact, I would get it for that reason among others. Maybe a Hummer would give you the protection you seem to need? Being facetious here, but buying bulk to protect you is wrong to my way of thinking. It's your choice, of course. Incidently, I drove daily in VCR for 10 years with never a scratch so it can be done.