Author Topic: Manual transmissions are dangerous...  (Read 11053 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Manual transmissions are dangerous...
« on: December 02, 2004, 07:45:08 pm »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 08:06:14 pm »
Talk about stick envy...  He's probably jealous because he doesn't have his own manny tranny and has never learned to use one correctly.  

When you're well-versed in the operation of your car, it doesn't matter how the gears get shifted.  You're in tune.  End of story.

Brigitte

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 08:21:04 pm »
Bob Elton is quite obviously a dick-wad.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Robarakira

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:30:24 pm »
HHAaaaaahahahahhaa... i needed a laugh

Mdxtasy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 10:18:58 pm »
That's his opinion and I'm sure he enjoys sticking his d*ck into the cow milker to get the job done.  

"Move over Betsy...daddy's gotta play."  Moooo.  

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:17:21 pm »
I didn't even finish reading the article. It was just too ridiculous.

Barrie1

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 11:39:48 pm »
Apparently its around 97% of the Cars and Trucks sold to-day are Automatic Transmissions. The Automatics are used heavily in Raceing now-a-days. I like the TH400 myself as it will fit so many other engines beside the GM's. I hate to say it but the writer has a few points about the eyes leaving the road with some drivers. Roll back on hills are also a problem with some drivers as well. I personally enjoy the Fun of power Shifting with a 4,5, or 6 speed in a Race but some auto's can shift faster.  

Mdxtasy

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 12:39:13 am »
He does have points in his article...with the big assumption that the driver is an inexperienced driver with no seat time in a manual tranny vehicle.  

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 09:13:46 am »
Not worthy of a rebuttal from the auto intellectuals on this forum……..Since I’m not one of them….here goes:

1.   If operating a manual transmission is a driver distraction….take the bus. Obviously you lack the necessary skill sets to operate a motor vehicle.  
2.   Fack heads require free hands to operate navigation systems, cell phones, and DVD players.
3.   It is hard to do doughnuts, burnouts, drifting, and brake stands with an auto tranny.

I like the concept of DSG….but want a manual override. Soon manual transmission will be an expensive option as the majority will rule. We enthusiasts without sufficient disposable income to maintain our elitist status will have to conform…..resistance is futile.

Ghost

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 09:56:19 am »
so err... u better keep that manual tranny wrx of yours. who knows it may be a museum piece for your great great great grandkids.

Crolly

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 10:09:15 am »
Prior to 2001, I've always driven manual trannies (my own and my dad's car when I was younger).  I disagree with the statement that coordinating all those movements of clutch-ing|shifting|accelerating and clutch-ing|braking would be more distracting.  When you're used to manual tranny operation, it's like "second nature"... you don't even think about it.  

Do manual tranny drivers get stalled when they stop at a light? NO! because it's "second nature" to step on the clutch as well.

I switched to auto tranny not because I'm distracted, but simply to experience driving an automatic.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 03:53:12 pm »
Agreed Crolly-with a manual tranny I'm more focused on road conditions, rpms, which gear given the required situation-with auto there is less focus on the 'mechanics' of driving-and therefore possible distraction is thinking of other issues other than driving.  
I think some people are naturaly inclined to be very good drivers whether driving stick or auto and there are definitely some people who have a poor understanding of the a car's mechanics and the requirements for driving a manual tranny, these folks are probably better off driving an auto.  
I love driving a manual tranny -don't take that option away from me!
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 06:45:09 pm »
Another editorial from the same site:  
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/editorials/1102009258/

My next car will have a manual transmission.  :-)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Corey

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 12:49:37 am »
Huh? "The truth about cars"? WTF? After reading both articles I'm wondering if this was some kind of joke or debate between the two of them that spilled over onto "today's topic." Complete B.S. if he was serious.

Bob Elton should safely signal to the right, pull over and put his Buick in Park.

Offline maritime_storm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Ranger Sport 2WD, 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd Whiteout
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 08:01:22 am »
I'm a firm beleiver that EVERY new driver should be trained to drive in a Car/Truck/other things with a manual. I think personally we're going to have to go the way of Europe, where the majority of vehicles are manually equipped.
Save the Earth, Ban slushboxes!! Real Trucks Rattle!!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 12:03:40 pm »
What!!! and I can't wear my headscarf?????..Mon Dieu..?
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 01:02:57 pm »
Screw Bob Elton, who cares what he says. The manny tranny will NOT die as too many ppl enjoy the driving pleasure it brings. Some vehicles are just not suited to an auto box, but many are. My son, now 22, was originally p.o.ed at me for insisting that he learn to drive on a manual car as it is much tougher for a beginner to learn. Now, he is very happy that he learned manual as he thinks it's the only way to go and he has friends who can't drive manny and they miss out on a lot of cars that are fun to drive.  

Long live the manual tranny!!!!!!!!!!

Doublestop

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 07:10:11 pm »
Learning to drive on a stick might be OK if you live in a small town. With modern traffic congestion I'm glad I learned one thing at a time.  Stalling at an intersection going up hill with a dozen cars behind you is bad enough if your already an experienced (auto) driver.  But, of course, it's a given that every driver should learn to drive a manual; eventually you have to take off the training wheels.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 08:24:26 pm »
Yeah, Double, but that's part of the fun and the training... The terror stays with you, and you never, ever forget it.  You can't learn if you don't practice the tough parts.  

There's a steep hill (gotta be AT LEAST a 25-degree incline) at the corner of University Avenue and Dr. Penfield Avenue in Montreal, right before you get to the Royal Victoria Hospital.  I still remember being at that intersection one winter, after a really wet snowfall, with my 1990 Tercel.  Oy...  The smell of burnt rubber was a thing to behold - but I was smart.  I started out in second to get some grip.  Didn't hit the guy behind me, either.

Brigitte

Wannabe4x4ing

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2004, 12:13:27 am »
I agree with Brigitte...

I learned how to drive a standard when my boyfriend handed me the keys to his Bronco II and told me not to come back until I could drive it. After embarrassing myself a few times, and scaring myself sh*tless a couple times too, I could decently get myself back home feeling pretty proud of myself. Now I prefer it...but its hard finding a newer used vehicle with a manual transmission. There just not "standard" anymore.

This whole debate on distraction: I think I've been more distracted in my auto because I don't have to think about anything, I just shift into gear, put my foot on the gas and away I go. Sometimes I'll arrive at my destination and wonder how I managed to get there because I'd been so deep in thought I couldn't remember the drive. Scary? For sure. Fortunately now I have something that rides with me that forces me to stay focused - for his safety and mine.