Author Topic: GM Takes a Pounding in November  (Read 9899 times)

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
GM Takes a Pounding in November
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 12:57:47 pm »
Yes, there may come a time when we'll have to stop refering to Ft McMurray as St. John's West and start refering to it as Tongchuan East.  The Chinese are very interested in the tar sands projects up there.  And boy does China ever know how to get stuff out of the ground.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 01:11:25 pm »
With the latest visit by Dubya and the Americans need to strengthen the friendship with Canada Uncle Sam is keeping an eye on the general store. If the Americans get chased out of the Caspian by China…..they wont let anything happen next door

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 01:33:20 pm »
They (The Chinese) can't take Noranda or Husky over to Nanking onna barge guys(they are backing away from the deals anyway ,or so it seems).Will spend the bucks developing,expanding and hiring around the "HOles in the Ground..over here).
   You all sound like the Yanks in the 80's when
Japan was buying Rockefeller centre and Moofie & recording studios...Lost their asses on those take-overs...Look Ninja San we have Lokafella skating Link in Tokyo now.."
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2004, 03:49:47 pm »
China has 1.3 billion people.  Consumers.  They need natural resources (much as has America for the past 40 years)  We happen to have them, and rather like to sell them.  Having another friendly trading partner makes us stronger.  Strong ties to china insulates us from whims from other fickle partners (softwood lumber, madcow, crazy pork and other inept US trade policies.)

China is truely a sleeping giant, that only now begins to awake.  Combined with lil bro India these two twenty years from now will make our neighbourhood bully next door seem small and insignificant.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 03:56:16 pm »
I don't think the world can make enough steel and cut down enough trees to sell Maytags and quality, partially assembled, Swedish-style furniture to all 1.3 billion of those consumers.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2004, 04:13:26 pm »

This isn't like the Japanese returns - as mentioned China is a great expanse with a billion consumers. They aren't just selling us back our own natural resources manufactured into an end-good. And they aren't as much of a law-abiding, civilized, thoughtful, or democratic society.

And Neil, I see it as very disturbing. It's not us selling to them, it's them coming to own our corporations and control them for their own interests. If the parent company doesn't originate here, do you think they'll worry about environmental assessments or impacts (and I'm positive government officials can be bought to look the other way). Likewise, unlike auto producers they're not worried about good wages because we're not going to be the consumers opening our empty wallets to buy the goods they're extracting. China is a big deal. They import technology and are becoming savvy at an alarming pace. And yet, because there's so many people wages in factories can be kept low for years to come outside the major urban centres.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 05:19:49 pm »
In a perfect world and on a perfect day........

Having watched Mr. Moore's F911 on the weekend I am leary of all policital dealings and certainly wonder about Mr. Bush and his 'friends'. Not sure we should be there.

But the world is growing and markets are changing and I think it is unwise to ignore them. Canada needs investment and I think it makes us stronger.  

Okay now back to cars and those of us who love them.  

Interesting that Acrua sales are down because the TSX and TL are very good vehicles. I wonder how much insurance rates are hurting RSX sales though?

And while away I couldn't help but become absorbed with the Car & Driver report about how good the new RL was and how it only cost $3 grand more than it's predecessor. Funny in Canada that hit was $15,000 so who is getting hosed here? I know our dollar is different but gimme a break it ain't no $12 grand of difference. Interesting eh?

Awdriver

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2004, 07:55:57 am »
Two Acura sales people called me last week to make sure I was aware of their 2.8% interest rate on RSX's

2.8%!!!  At Acura?  No way!   I've been an Acura fan for a long time don't recall low rates like that.  Especially early in the model year, with an updated model.  Sounds like they are concerned about the crappy November.

Had this happened a month ago - I would be driving one now.