Author Topic: Recommend a $2-3K car for university student?  (Read 16444 times)

Straysheepie

Recommend a $2-3K car for university student?
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:11:01 pm »
Hello,

I just stumbled onto this forum while reading up on cars since I'm thinking about buying a cheap used one for going to work and out on weekends.  I probably won't drive it up to school every day since I take transit, but on really cold days I will.

I would like to spend at most $3000 but if I can get a car that will last longer at $4000 then that works too.

Certain things I'm looking for:
- automatic
- small (2 or 4 door ok, hatchback would be nice actually since I don't have advanced parking skills )
- responsive heat and a/c since I get cold easily!
- fuel economy
- can handle the occasional highway trip for getaways
- enough power to go up a fairly steep hill (Simon Fraser University for Vancouverites) but I don't need it to zip up at killer speeds

In short, I'm just looking for something cheap and reliable and small.  I'm not loyal to any particular company but am a bit leery of Honda Civics since my Mom's was stolen and I know it's the #1 stolen car in BC.

Please post any suggestions you have here, and perhaps where I can find trustworthy car dealers with vehicles in my price range?  Many thanks!

Mdxtasy

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 11:23:13 pm »
For that price, you'll be looking at an older Japanese economy car or a newer American car.  While the Civic's are a target for theft, they are very reliable automobiles.  

An early to mid 90's basic Civic hatchback might be had for your price range.    

Another alternative is a newer Hyundai Accent.  A mid to late 90's Accent might fit in your price range.  

A Suzuki Swift from the mid 90's might also be considered.

I would stay away from the Neon....they will fit in your price range but are notorious for being a maintenance nightmare.  

A Toyota Terecel is another safe bet.  

A Nissan Sentra from the mid 90's might also suit your needs.

A mid to late 90's Mazda 323 hatchback is another option.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:26:54 pm »
There's some older Toyota Tercels around that just keep going and going - they should be in your price range. It's definitely going to be about 10 years old for that money and I suggest go Japanese over German or NA just for long term reliability and lower operating costs. Did you check the BC AutoTrader either in paper or on-line? Vancouver Sun/Province classifieds on Firdays are good also. I'm sure you can find something that works for you, particularily in Vancouver which is a little easier on cars genrally. Good luck (and be sure to have an independent mechanic check it out for you BEFORE you hand over your cash).  

BTW, Stray - welcome to the Forum.  

(Message edited by ovr50 on November 30, 2004)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Mdxtasy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:35 pm »
Be careful of the early 90's Tercel...they don't have fuel injection and can be a pain.  Otherwise, they are bulletproof.  Not a whole lot of technology in them.  :-)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 11:31:44 pm »
Tell me more about that on the Tercels, Mdx. I know of at least 3 of them around here with 200-300KMs on them and they are no trouble at all. If no FI, are they old style carbureters (sic)?? Guess I don't follow your comment here??

Winson

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 11:35:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum Straysheepie. I also recommend the Civic Hatch and if I was in your situation, I'd be looking for one.

Straysheepie

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 11:46:13 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!  Another friend just recommended the Civic hatchback so I will take a serious look at that one.

As for publications, I've looked at the Auto Mart Trader, Buy & Sell online, Vancouver Sun classifieds (but the ads today aren't very good), Vancouver Courier and the SFU postings.

Does the Pontiac Firefly have a lot of problems?  Someone at school posted a 4-door 1994 one for sale for $1500 with 200K on it which sounds like a good deal.  But since it's so cheap I'm guessing there's a major problem with it??!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 12:01:00 am »
Stray - wait for the Friday Sun and Province - they're the best for auto ads. The Mazda 323 or Protege as someone mentioned above could be good also.  

The Firefly may be fairly priced or it may be grubby looking. This is a 11 year old car w 200kms and it didn't cost much to start with. Might be OK but have it checked out.

Mdxtasy

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 12:32:43 am »
2 close acquaintances had 1990 Tercel with no EFI...in the winter here in Alberta, there were many instances where it just would not start.  It might have been trouble with the choke or flooding.  Not sure but I had to pick one up numerous times to get to school as his car just never started.

In addition, there were instances where both cars would first hesitate a lot and then just stall in city traffic.  Afterwards, one of them would have difficulty starting it again.  They both had well over 200K on the clock but near the end, they were becoming a hit and miss.  One traded it in for a 95 Tercel with EFI and still drives it today.  No issues like the pre-EFI cars.  The other went to an Accord.  

Tercels are good cars no question.  I'd just be leary of the 1990 model year.

(Message edited by mdxtasy on December 01, 2004)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 02:24:15 am »
OK, thanks, I understand what you mean and I would agree with that in the ultra-cold climes. Stray is in Vancouver tho so should not be a problem even with the pre-95 Tercels but agreed that EFI would be better. I bet he/she can still find a '95 or '96 for the money if searches a bit.

Straysheepie

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 03:09:39 am »
I'm a she actually, and don't know very much about cars - trying to read up on the internet before rambling around to find a car!

I plan on dropping by used auto dealer(s) in the coming weeks to see what the cars look in real life... the Civic hatchback and Mazda 323 look attractive but the Civic prices are a tad high.  I guess I'll save more buying from a private seller but it seems riskier.

In terms of maintenance and repairs, which car is the most efficient?  The Firefly price is still very attractive because of its price but I know nothing about Pontiac cars.  Googling didn't turn up too much neither...

Mark

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 11:29:29 am »
Whatever you buy, invest in a thorough mechanical inspection from an independent mechaninc not involved in the transaction.  It will cost you a few bucks up front, but could save you thousands in maintenance/repair bills.  Ask people you trust for a referral to a trusted mechanic, and don't be shy to have a knowledgable friend go with you.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 01:22:31 pm »

I would look at (in order):  
Hyundai Accent ('97 and up were great cars for the price with good quality and probably a deal now)
Chev Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire (can find a newer one, as they depreciate super fast)
Mazda 323 (the auto trannys had some issues, but otherwise bulletproof)
Honda Civic (you prob won't find one at that price)
Toyota Tercel (excellent if you find a good one)

Happy hunting!

AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Davidm

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 03:10:08 pm »
Mazda 323 is great, but the autos are a weak point.  If you end up looking at a Mazda I know of an excellent Mazda-specific mechanic on the North Shore.  He's a big 323 fan (but hates the autos).

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 03:19:34 pm »
What about a Plymouth Sundance/Dodge Shadow?  Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz?  They aren't great but they aren't junk either.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 03:52:05 pm »
I would look at the hyundai Accent and Daewoos...

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 04:27:27 pm »
Civic or integra would be my suggestion. The 323 is a tough little hatch. One of my friends has one. Got it for $1000 even. Has had no problems with it, although its an standard and i've also heard some bad reviews on the auto 323's.

If it's not too big for you, maybe a Volvo 240 would fit you nicely. It has worked well for me for the past 12 years...

Ericthejet

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 07:57:43 pm »
I would take a pass on the Firefly.  Small and weak and made by Suzuki.  The build quality is much better with the other Japanese cars, or Korean.  It is worth taking a longer look at the Civics or Tercels despite a higher cost.  I just sold my 90 Civic H-back with over 360,000kms on it for 1K.  The guy looked at it for 1 minute tops and reved the engine three times.  Sold.  I would also suggest running your questions by this forum.  You'll find good advice here.  Good luck with your search and always get a second opinion as it's well worth the effort.

Straysheepie

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 04:18:29 am »
I looked at some prices on Buy and Sell online, it looks like if I have patience a 1991 or 1992 Civic can be had for $3000+ which is ok, but I asked for insurance quotes today and was told Civics cost significantly more because of the high theft rate :-(

I also looked at the Nissan Sentra, 1992 for < $3000 and the Tercels are well priced too, should be < $3000 if I negotiate.  I like the looks of the Hyundai Accent but I haven't seen many used ads for it - maybe that's a good sign since people are keeping theirs?!

I saw this ad, it looks like a really good price assuming everything checks out?

1991 TOYOTA TERCEL, 2 dr sedan, auto, red colour, 180,000 kms, AirCared, quick sale, asking $2088

I remember we used BCAA for vehicle inspection before purchase, are they ok or should I take them to a regular mechanic?  Recommend any trustworthy ones in Vancouver?

Ericthejet, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions in this forum since there is so much to learn!  I'm very grateful :-)

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 11:34:14 am »
If both vehicles are in good working condition, I prefer the 1992 Nissan Sentra over the 1991 Toyota Tercel. I have driven my brother's mid/late 80's Tercel...it's pretty weak in the horsepower department (i.e. gutless :D). I also found it hard to drive...I couldn't get into a good driving position....so much so that it was kinda dangerous for me to drive. The 1992 Nissan Sentra has like 110 hp. Back doors/seats are hard to get into and cramped. Newer styling than old Nissan Sentra models...make sure that it's the newer model. Nissan was selling both the new and old Sentra styling at the same time in the early 90's.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies