Author Topic: Am I getting hosed???  (Read 8126 times)

Wannabe4x4ing

Am I getting hosed???
« on: November 30, 2004, 02:51:05 pm »
No innuendos, please! ;)

So does everyone remember this past summer when my motor blew out because we buried the truck in mud and my loser ex floored it in four low?

Well, my truck was surging really bad about a month and a half ago, so I took it in. The rear fuel filter was plugged right up, so they replaced it and told me I needed to replace my rear end but had a year or so until I really had to worry about it. Great...there was fifteen hundred dollars I have to look forward to. Surprisingly though, the huge clunk decreased noticeably after the surging stopped. Now, its surging and clunking again and I've been told my gas tank is full of mud so I have to replace it (too much work to clean it, they said) and replace my fuel pump. I know all about the vent and that some mud could have gotten in, but is it really more expensive to clean the tank than to replace it? Please help me, I'm about to pull my hair out...there's another three grand staring me in the face on top of the five I already put in. UGH!

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 03:27:20 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problems Wanna, I would think a new tank should be worth around $200. to $300. Instalation including the fuel pump should be around a hour or little over. The cost of the fuel pump will be extra. My concern with cleaning the tank is that will they be able to get all of the mud out of the tank and fuel pump. With mud comes moisture and rust as well so I would think a new tank and pump might be in order. As far as the rear end goes I would add a bottle of Lucas oil lube to the gears which will help protect them and make quieter as well. Thats around $10.00.  Hope this helps. $1500. seems quite high just for rear gears as a new set of Richmond gears with the posi should only be around $700. to $900. depending on where you buy from and the labour should only be an hour or 2 at the most.

(Message edited by barrie1 on November 30, 2004)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 03:29:57 pm »
That Lucas oil stuff really works, Barrie?  The front diff on my Cherokee seems to be making itself heard, and was wondering about adding something like Lucas oil's product.  I've only used the Lucas oil fuel system additive thus far.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Wanna.

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 03:35:08 pm »
Yes the Lucas oil product is really good for these purposes and I do use it myself. I give it a full 10 for performance.

Crolly

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 03:49:59 pm »
I've read this informative article about Lucas (for Wanna's and everybody's info)  

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Makes sense to me but I have no first hand experience with it's performance. Comments?

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 01:19:26 am »
Well know matter what his figures stated I still have in the rear end of my truck. I have seen gear tests do the same thing for the Lucas product and make the other guys stuff look pretty feable. Seemed strange to me he used 2 different weight oils in the 1st test. The Brand of oils he used may also have an effect on the testing as well. I know it leaves a coating on the parts for the next cold startup and helps reduce heat breakdown as well. My tranny shop in London recommends it highly as a lubricant and use it in their own race car. They are the Canadian Can-Am Midget champs for Canada.  

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 01:33:25 am »
Wannabe4x4ing  

Just take it to  Barrie1  's   Garage.   He will replace  Your  Rear End.

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 02:02:19 am »
Unfortunately its a little far for her come. The savings on labour wouldn't pay the gas even.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 09:19:00 am »
I'm not even gonna touch Barrie's response.

Sorry to hear about your rear end, Wanna.

Crolly

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:33:38 am »
Good point Barrie.  If that stuff helps a team to become champions, then that's more convincing than a lab setup.

about that "rearend", no comment... for now

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 04:05:11 pm »
I was going to change out the gears in the truck and pulled the axle's and rear cover only to discover the new gears we purchased are only 10 bolt not 12 as required. Thats when I threw the Lucas in the rearend.  I did my thesis back in 1981 on oil and oil additives and had all of the testing equipment to test every brand of oil and additive. STP for example is NOT a good product at all. Waste of money to use it. Some are very good.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 05:20:31 pm »
I once purchased some STP Fuel System Treatment with Water Remover because I suspected there was some moisture in my fuel tank.  Anyhow, when I opened up the bottle a strong diesel fuel odour was apparent.  Diesel fuel?!?  I had several friends smell the contents of the bottle, and everyone of them remarked that it must be diesel fuel.  Since then I have been boycotting STP products.

(Let's see what Saffy does with this 'gift'...)

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 01:15:37 am »
STP and other similar products are man made supplements. The original Mineral Oil is round in its molecules and these additives are oblong in their shape.  The additives fill in the gaps on a engine. Every moving part in a engine is round to some degree or works with something that is so good coverage of the moving parts is very important. These are a liquod polymeer which comes in many grades and this brand is not of the best stock. Thats my personal opion and never use it here. There is better brands then that if you need them.

Wannabe4x4ing

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 05:47:16 pm »
I've found a new mechanic!  

I took my truck to a different shop and they checked it out. My fuel tank and pump are fine, the culprit? A blown fuse was messing up the computer! They didn't even charge me to look at it...and now that my truck isn't serging I don't even have a clunk (but I'll be getting my brother to lube up the rear end for me anyways).

Thanks, Barrie!

Mdxtasy

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 05:52:56 pm »
Wanna....I'm going to pass on your last statement.  For the rest of you, please have mercy on her.

Wannabe4x4ing

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 06:37:30 pm »
I'm not that far north...ass!

Mdxtasy

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 06:50:12 pm »
I laughed out loud at that one Wanna.  5 for that one.  What are you suggesting?  I worked up in Yellowknife one summer......

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 07:49:33 pm »
5 from me too!

Barrie1

Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 11:12:58 pm »
Glad to hear things worked out for you Wanna. Got to love the price also. Sounds like you found a good garage.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Am I getting hosed???
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 09:15:36 am »
First it was "Am I getting hosed????" and now it's "I'll be getting my brother to lube up the rear end for me."  What's going on here?  

Unfortunately a good, honest mechanic is often difficult to find.  Glad to hear that you didn't get 'hosed' after all.