Author Topic: RX-8 rotary  (Read 48468 times)

Captain_ron

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2004, 03:36:54 pm »
The sunfire is the only car under $12,000.  Thats why it sells well.

When a person has 35-50k to spend on a car, THEY HAVE OPTIONS!  

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2004, 03:37:42 pm »
Waddaya mean a Mustang GT buyer is not an RX-8 buyer?  Do I have to go back to psychotherapy to bring my multiple personalities under control again??  

I would consider both of these cars for my next purchase.  Ultimately I would have to chose between them, but they both interest me at this point.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2004, 03:46:02 pm »

I wouldn't consider the Mustang GT if purchasing the RX-8. I wouldn't care to drive a SRT-4, no matter how fast or how great the seats are. I think the rest of the package leaves lots to be desired, but as a purely fast car, hard to beat. Again, think we've agreed that's not the RX-8's objective.

Althougth I don't see it in the same class, a RSX would cross the mind if I didn't have the money. I think the RX-8 is an in-betweener, but most like the G35C, more smooth and practical than the Z, and perhaps competition for a BMW 3-Series.  

And as for it not being fully loaded at base price, I hear enough people screaming 'n moaning that they "don't want all that crap in my sports car", so I don't see it as a problem. Even when optioned, it's a bargain.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +23/-30
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2004, 03:48:50 pm »
Regardless of the marketing, any reasonably intelligent person is going to look beyond 0-60 specs to choose their car.  

(Message edited by rayt on October 19, 2004)

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2004, 03:52:09 pm »
Absolutely.

Mdxtasy

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2004, 03:56:28 pm »
0-60 doesn't mean much in real world everyday driving applications.  Midrange acceleration times give you an indiciation as to how a car can merge onto freeway traffic but nobody needs to go from 0-60 in 6 seconds on the streets.  I find 0-60 times a stat that is used to 'measure your manliness'.  Everybody lies about it.  :-)

H20ski

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2004, 03:57:26 pm »
This is what fans of the venerable twin turbo RX-7 have been waiting for - a turbocharged RX-8.

Roughly 360 horsepower.....

To read more here's the link to the site:
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/mazda-rx8-extreme.htm

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2004, 03:58:34 pm »

Beside fuel economy, I would really enjoy owning a RX-8. I think the RX-8 is more fun to drive than a G35C.  

Magines have compared the RX-8/350Z and chose it over the 350Z even.  

Maybe I am too much of a purist....but I definitely would not cross shop any Mustang or SRT4 with an RX-8. The three cars are just too different to me in character to be ever mentioned in the same sentence.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2004, 04:03:01 pm »
I think the C&D blurb on why they chose to put it in their Top Ten list says it well

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=33&article_id=7581&page_numbe r=1

If you read that and still don't understand why it is a good car.....well, enjoy your Mustang.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2004, 04:06:33 pm »

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2004, 04:12:54 pm »
The C&D camparo
SVT vs G35C vs RX-8

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=4346

Final sentence

"Despite its engine's lack of wide-ranging power, the RX-8 ultimately delivered the greatest driving satisfaction combined with the best four-person usability. And it did so at an as-tested price of $28,300 (an approximation for this preproduction car with a mongrel mix of features). In this trio, that was enough for victory)"

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2004, 04:43:09 pm »
Rayt, I'm not sure who you're trying to convince of what.  If you don't want to cross shop based on idealogical differences, that's fine.  There will be plenty of people in this segment of the market that will follow that approach.  There will also be plenty of people that will let the magazine comparos make their decisions for them.  BTW, the fact that C&D did a three way comparison including the RX8 and a "Stang GT supports my position that these cars are in the same sandbox. No company is satisfied with preaching to the converted are they?  Wouldn't they all like a few new people in the congregation?  

Where there is a difference is between intention and execution.  Where I would not consider any of the previous pony cars (excepting OVR50's Bullitt, of course ) I am looking forward to checking out the '05 Mustang.  And the RX8, because it looks ideally suited to my needs.  And, if I could afford it, a G35C.

Davidm

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2004, 05:19:17 pm »
DSW, I should clarify.  You are free to cross-shop any vehicle you want - many would argue that me cross-shopping a Legacy GT and an RX-8 would be silly.  Hey, where are the Mini CooperS proponents - that can easily be optioned up to $36k, is sporty in nature, not too far off in power, has 4 seats and 2 doors, etc.?

I think that when deciding between a Mustang GT and an RX-8 the cars are so different that the decision becomes no decision at all - it will be a no brainer in either dimension.  You want price, HP, cheap to repair, V8 rumble the Mustang is the easy win.  You want handling, light weight, "modern" design (in the aesthetic sense, not engineering sense), Japanese perceived-quality, something "different", then the RX-8 is the easy win.

When I was saying you wouldn't cross-shop the two I guess I meant more to say that it would not be a tough decision - both cars excel at what they were designed for and fail miserably at whay the other was designed for.

Interesting that the mag reviews that pick the RX-8 have a similar undertone to those that pick the Miata - not the best for space, not the most power, not the best price - but still the best "drive" or best "feel".  Seems Mazda has done a good job of capturing "the greatest driving satisfaction" in their sports cars.

To the Captain "The sunfire is the only car under $12,000. Thats why it sells well."  Exactly my point.  Its not about the best car, its about a bunch of other factors - in this case price (combined with further incentives).

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2004, 10:27:25 pm »
DavidM's post said it well and follows the tone of what I was trying to say. I will requote myself: "The three cars are just too different to me in character"......... to ever cross shop them seriously.

At one point, I was kind of intrigued by the SVT (non supercharged) version of the Mustang that I even went to test drive one. It took me all of 30 seconds to realize that this is not what I want in a sports car. So indeed even I cross shopped one. But anybody who's really driven these two cars is not going to stay awake at night wondering which one they like better.

The fact that magazines tested and rank the RX-8 *first place* against far more powerful and more expensive cars like the SVT Mustang (not the regular one) *AND* the 350Z/G35C hints that the RX-8 *is* something special. Certainly it competes on a higher level than what some of you guys are giving it credit for.  

Robarakira

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2004, 10:33:46 pm »
That's just it.  The RX-8 is a great car to have for a day, but not such a good car to have for a life-time.  It is happy on the racetrack but this makes it not such a good daily driver.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2004, 10:38:42 pm »
Robakira/

How exactly did you come to this definitive conclusion....

I had no qualms about driving the RX-8 through heavy city traffic. The cabin was quiet, the ride was nicely tight but still compliant, the seating was excellent, the gearshift was precise, clutch and brakes were easy to modulate. Except for poor gas mileage, I could easily see myself driving one of these every day to work and back.

Not to mention four seats that can haul your buddies out to lunch that's a stretch if you buy a RSX or even a Mustang.

You guys are all wimps if you can't handle the RX-8 as a daily driver.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2004, 10:49:22 pm »
Now ya got it Robbie. The RX-8, both a track star and a commuter car.  
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/101039/page002.html
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Robarakira

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2004, 10:51:02 pm »
Whoa man.. Any reasonable car person can handle driving the RX-8 daily. I'm not saying it's a hard car to drive, I'm saying that it's economics arent meant for daily city driving; it is meant for high-revving enthusiasm.   as for  
"Not to mention four seats that can haul your buddies out to lunch. "    
the weight of 4 guys in this car would put a serious hamper on the fun considering the low torque.  
If you enjoy filling up the tank, topping off the oil, and replacing the engine much sooner than a comparable non-rotary engine, this is the car for you.  
Don't get me wrong, the RX-8 is a blast to drive, but I'd much rather enjoy avoiding gas stations and lineups at canadian tire buying oil while driving an RSX.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
RX-8 rotary
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2004, 10:53:49 pm »
Kate likes it too!
Railton

Mdxtasy

RX-8 rotary
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2004, 11:16:13 pm »
Yes Robbie....that RSX has a ton or torque to haul 4 people in too.  image  I think his 'Acura for life' attitude is starting to show....