Author Topic: New bmw 3 series soon?  (Read 13868 times)

Pikacha10

New bmw 3 series soon?
« on: October 15, 2004, 06:47:06 pm »
anybody know if theres gonna be a new 3 series coming out soon?

if there is then when it is going to come out?

ill buy my 330i after the new 3 series comes out hoping the previous generation will lower in price. it better be soon cause my dads pissed at me

Pikacha10

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 06:48:03 pm »
also, anybody heard if toyota is gonna be reintroducing the supra any time soon? or any rumors of it?

Offline bgclarke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 11:38:56 pm »
The 3 series is being slightly redesigned/bangleized for 2005.

There are some pics here: http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/bmw-3-series-e90.htm

Winson

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 01:10:28 am »
You guys might think Im weird but I actually prefer the current 3 series to this new one.

Mdxtasy

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 01:15:03 am »
Nobody would think you're weird.  The current E46 is very well designed.  Looks fantastic.  The new 5 wasn't as bad as the 7 so hopefully that's a sign of Bangle toning it down a bit.

(Message edited by mdxtasy on October 16, 2004)

Pikacha10

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 02:40:30 am »
im with ya there Winson, from the looks of the pictures, id prefer the current one for its looks, the interior can use a bit of change though.

i guess its up to the public to accept the newly redesigned 3 series or not

Golfman

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 11:59:00 pm »
I think BMW has played it a bit safer with the new 3-series than with the rest of their Chris Bangle-designed range, so it'll do well.  I like it more than some of the other BMW's that have been recently redesigned.  Now to a bigger question: do you think that a majority of people buy BMW's (and a lot of other car brands as well) for the wrong reasons; i.e., status, and being slavishly influenced by car magazines such as 'Car & Driver', who tend to rank BMW's slightly higher than their rivals based on their subtle superiority in performance and high-speed handling?  The vast majority of people do not and cannot drive that way. Most people driving BMW's in Canada drive their BMW's to commute to and from work, in city driving, or to shopping malls. Not on race tracks, or through twisty mountain roads, or on autobahns.  There is simply no opportunity to enjoy a BMW's superior handling.  In other words, the defining characteristic of these cars that has them winning car magazine comparison tests is largely irrelevant in the real world. Other characteristics that matter more in the real world are low-speed ride, quality and comfort of interior, low-speed acceleration, braking performance, etc.,.

X_ouch

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 01:32:21 am »
I know what you mean, golfman.  

do like me, REPEAT these 5 times everday:

-A CAR IS TO BRING ME FROM POINT A TO POINT B.
-IN WINTER IT WILL BE SNOWING.
-THE LEGAL SPEED LIMIT IN CANADA IS 100KM/H.
-CANADA IS HARVESTED WITH STOP SIGNS AND SCHOOL ZONES.

If you do that, then you'll get a cheap car and be happy.

Winson

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 01:49:37 am »
Yes and a cheap car can be the most reliable too. However, if you got the money, a more desirable car would be better. You gotta reward yourself you know.

X_ouch

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 02:03:13 am »
I know, but do you want to reward yourself legally or illegaly? :D

Mdxtasy

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 10:27:12 am »
Any car on the market today can exceed posted speed limits.  You don't need a fancy car to break the law.  Heck, simple commuter cars like the Toyota Echo or Honda Civic has enough power to break the speed limit.  People buy what they buy because they can.  Car enthusiasts will understand why there's an undying want for fancy cars with good performance....while the rest of the population will never understand.

X_ouch

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 09:14:36 pm »
I think you are wrong on the... um... while the rest of the population will never understand.

EVERYONE wants a nice car or at least ONE functional car, I have never seen people rejecting a luxurious life.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 09:07:17 am »
some people drive cars, some people talk about driving cars, and some people have no idea what the fack they are talking about.

Ghost

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 09:08:59 am »
People will by a 3-series even if it looked like a poop cause it has the blue and white propeller. Such is the society we have here.
I bet the 1-series will outsell everything in the semi-luxury compact segment. Bye bye golf, RSX, A3, C230 coupe....

X_ouch

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »
uh snowman, if you were referring to me you can always ask me which part of my post your dumb azz doesn't understand.

Would you still buy a bmw3 for yourself or get.. let's say a civic for yourself and a...corolla for your wife? or kids?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 07:57:58 am »
Lt. Ohura is having trouble locating the linguistic codes in the data bank….please stand by.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 01:30:48 pm »
hahaha
X_ouch is always trying to fight....if we go by his rules we would be all driving Smart Cars....

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 02:58:22 pm »

Don't mind the new look.

Not so keen on the rear. Those lights look oddly shaped on the inside edge, and perhaps too big. Just sorta stuck there.

I think it's difficult to make a smaller sedan more swoopy. There's less space to do this, as the passenger and cargo space can't be compromised, and safety must remain intact. Hence why the S40's side doors aren't scooped out like the S60.  
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 03:07:30 pm »
What the?  People that usually buy BMW's don't WANT a civic and a corolla, nor do they usually NEED a civic and a corolla.

It's a "status" issue, the propeller does it all.

Sorry to say it, I almost fell into it, I was looking at a 320i, but then realized, you get JACK for the $45k!  No thanks.

If everyone shopped solely on point a to point b, that would be on the roads would be Echo's and Minivans.

Small cars for the commuter and a minivan to carry the kids.  

But people don't buy cars for A to B, sure some do, but 90% if not more buy them for many many more reasons.

A to B
Looks
Style  
Status
Fun Factor
etc etc etc.

I can take my S2000 to the track or auto-x I can have fun with it, and it's all legal.  Just because I can go 200km/h doesn't mean I do it!

Davidm

New bmw 3 series soon?
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 03:20:42 pm »
Hey, some of us buy the BMW 'cause its really good at what it's designed for (especially at sub-$20k for a used one).  I'd rather buy the same car with a Mazda, Kia, or whatever badge, but I bought the car, not the "brand".

That said, I would wager that in excess of 75% of BMWs are sold on brand.  Certain brands are associated with ceratin lifestyles (ie Honda and BMW) and people want the car to reflect their lifestyle to others.  Is this bad, I don't think so.  You go buy a car for whatever reason you want.  It happens to not be how I choose a car, but I suspect I, and most others on this board, would be in the minority.