Author Topic: Champcar in Edmonton???  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« on: October 02, 2004, 02:28:19 pm »
There was a front page story in the Edmonton Journal this morning about the possibility of Champcars coming to Edmonton next year.  The story mentioned that papers have been signed between Champcar and an organizing group, but there was still lots to do before things were finalized, including rounding up a bunch of money.  I looked in my usual racing news spots on the web for the story but found none.  The Journal's own web site has no mention of it either, so I think the story has been pulled.
My fingers are crossed.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 03:04:20 pm »
Well maybe, DSW, I hope either Edm or Cgy get it if Vanc. loses it.  

BTW - there was an article in Vancouver newspaper day or so ago about a new 3/4 mile oval for Marysville, WA which is on the northern outskirts of the metro Seattle area (just north of Everett). This would be about a 2 hour or less drive from Vancouver. If the track becomes real, it would get some form of NASCAR event (Trucks/Busch or Nextel). Cool - hope it happens.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 03:29:41 pm »
Yes this was mentioned on CW, but no linkies yet to verify.  CW said John Short was the writer.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 04:07:34 pm »
Yeah, it was John Short.  If I get some time later, I'll transcribe some of it.  My three finger typing could take a while.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 11:58:53 pm »

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 05:48:33 pm »
Here's a bit more from Dan Barnes in today's Journal.  Kevin Dowler does a little Calgary bashing.  Sorry MD.  I don't know why so many people here do that.  It's childish.

I would have just provided a link, but it's subscriber-only content....

Champing at the bit: Big race has local driver's engine revving

Dan Barnes  
The Edmonton Journal  

October 3, 2004

Kevin Dowler has always come home from Molson Indy weekend in Toronto or Vancouver with a trophy, some body damage (at least to his car) or both.

"Won a couple, crashed a couple," said the Edmonton stock car racer. "Vancouver has always been wonderful. Same for Toronto."

The grizzled veteran has appeared regularly at Indy races since 1991, though only on the undercard, as it were, driving in Cascar or the old Players/GM Series races that warm up the track and tens of thousands of fans whose real focus is the big Sunday afternoon show. That's when hometown heroes like Paul Tracy and Patrick Carpentier scream around a two-kilometre track in open wheel cars capable of 300 km/h.

Dowler is a speed freak so he loves the racing and has also become a fan of the carnival-like atmosphere that settles over those monstrous metropolitan areas. But, quite frankly, he's tired of coming home from Molson Indy weekend, with or without the baubles and bruises.

And that's why his engine was revving early Saturday morning as he learned from an Edmonton Journal story that the Champ Car series has signed an agreement in principle with a local promotional group for a July 15-17, 2005 race weekend at City Centre Airport.

His track. His back yard.

Unbelievable.

"This is huge. It doesn't get any bigger. This is going to give those thirsty road race fans something to finally enjoy without getting on an airplane," said Dowler.

The Indy weekends used to feature CART series cars but that financially strapped organization was sold and renamed Champ Car. Its 14-race calendar for 2004 included stops in Canada, the U.S., Australia and Mexico. Champ Car is trying to make it 16 races in 2005.

This is big-time racing and these are big-time events. Think Heritage Classic big. Or bigger. Think 150,000 fans over the weekend. Think $25 million in spinoff for Edmonton. Think Tracy, Carpentier, Sebastien Bourdais and Alex Tagliani. Think worldwide TV exposure.

"I'm so glad it's coming to Edmonton," said Dowler. "I'm sick of Calgary getting everything."

Calgary, which boasts a thriving auto industry at Race City, was in the running all right, but the deal was signed with Edmonton.

Everybody connected to it is optimistic that the last remaining details will be worked out, perhaps by the end of next week. It's a multi-year, multi-million dollar transaction that has taken promoters more than two years to get this far so another couple of days, though anxious, won't kill the deal.

"We have come to an agreement in principle on terms and a date, but there is one remaining step that has to be satisfied," said Joe Chrnelich, Champ Car executive VP. "We can't create the race until the last component is satisfied."

He declined to say what it was, citing a confidentiality agreement. Greg Macdonald, who will be the event general manager once it's a go, said there were actually a few issues left to iron out, but he too chose not to name them.

"There's lots of work to do but we are close," said Macdonald.

It is known that the promoters still have to sign a deal with the City Centre Airport for use of the 1.96-mile course. They also have to firm up the undercard races, which should include Cascar and perhaps Toyota Formula Atlantic, as well as a GT event.

They haven't nailed down a title sponsor either, though Molson is obviously interested in extending its Indy reach from Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver into Edmonton. Sponsorship is a major component of an event with a budget of about $5 million and the involvement of Molson would go a long way toward supporting the budget. It's believed this group already has the deep pockets backing of local millionaire Bruce Saville; that he is responsible for a $2 million line of credit available to the promoters. Also integral to the project are race fan and auto dealership owner Ron Hodgson and Tom Doerkson.

"We're very, very impressed with the promoters," said Chrnelich. "They have been absolutely outstanding. They have done their homework. And the corporate community in Edmonton has stepped up with their support."

A race weekend of this magnitude would add a unique chapter to Edmonton's rich history of hosting big-time sporting events.

"It's good for racing and it will be good for Edmonton," said Hodgson. "It will be an economic boon and it's going to employ a lot of people. It will be really big."

Dowler hopes he's in the middle of it. You see, he used to tool around the City Centre Airport when it hosted Cascar races.

Won a couple, crashed a couple. Loved every minute of it.

dbarnes@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2004

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 11:25:08 am »
Thanks for that DSW

K8e

Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 11:46:46 pm »
I was just browsing and noticed your postings.  I'd read that article too and was wondering about getting tickets.  Do you know when they'll be on sale and where they would be on sale from?  You guys seem a little more "in the know" than me.
Thanks!

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 01:29:42 pm »
K8e, welcome.  No word yet on tickets, but I will post it here when info becomes available.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 01:38:37 pm »
Yes it's been very quiet lately.  My understanding is there is supposed to be an announcement on title sponsorship sometime this month and that it won't be Molsons.  I can't imagine the marketing machine would be up and running prior to that.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 06:41:04 pm »
Here's something a little bit more from the horse's mouth....

http://www.edmontonairports.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=13-67-719-798

Mdxtasy

Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 06:48:27 pm »
Oh...I want to go.  It'll depend on the ticket prices.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 06:53:49 pm »
You gotta go, MD.  I'll pitch a tent in the back yard for ya and everything.

Mdxtasy

Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 12:49:38 am »
Woohoo!  That's the best offer yet.  Hope you still have that GTI....I want to learn how to drive a standard.....I mean I want to give you an opportunity to test out my navi system.  :-)

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 01:32:19 am »
It'll be bye-bye by then.  There'll be something else fun though, I hope.

"Honey?  What's that sickening grinding sound?"

"Oh.  I loaned your internet "friend" the keys to your ______.  I hope you don't mind.  By the way, where did these shorts come from?  They're awfully short.  And this hole...?"

Mdxtasy

Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 11:35:45 pm »
You gotta love the shorts.  :-)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Champcar in Edmonton???
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 12:09:20 pm »
Personally I'm LONG...on the Market
Time is to stop everything happening at once