Author Topic: OT…The rising Canadian Dollar  (Read 39227 times)

Barrie1

OT…The rising Canadian Dollar
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004, 04:30:11 am »
Its not just the Lumber Trade that is being Facked by the US, What about our meat? There is no reason to Currently Block our Meat Products especially after an American started the whole problem. Just another way the US GOV Cheats on the Free Trade Deal. They have lost the Lumber Case in every Court in the World at least 3 times and still won't honour the agreement. Lets skip the Free Trade and keep all of our own Oil and Natural Gas for ourselves. The Price would drop Big Time then.

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2004, 07:05:13 am »
I agree - don't like our lumber or meat?  Fine, can't have our gas/oil either.  Canada is the largest supplier of Natural gas and is right behind Saudi Arabia for oil exporters to U.S.  If we weren't such a bunch of wusses we could turn off the tap for a month or two and stop negotiating trade from our knees.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2004, 10:10:18 am »
SOFT wood !! wot about our meat..negotiating from our knees..4% inflation...is this one of dem
Erectile Dysfunction sites !!!!....hell if you laid all the economists in the world end to end you'd be talkin about their annual convention in Las Vegas.....get 2 economists in a room and you get 3 opinions NON relevent..they call it a Science it's more like ice dancing judgement IMHO.
   Global "economics/forces" call it what you will is producing an upswing in some third world standards and even if the world pie expands the number of mouths feeding off of it must result in a smaller portion for each of us,unless we rig the game and we all will try to increase OUR piece of pie.It's an intersting tug of war but the 'game" is on...results to follow....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2004, 10:22:57 am »
Exactly.

The "Captains of Industry" get this and have been rigging the system for years. Big corporations losing huge money but CEO's still getting multi-million$ bonuses...government leaders giving thier cronies plum jobs at crown corporations with no-experience... Easy credit -just sign here and get a $50,000 loan on a depreciating asset with $0 down...tax-breaks for the rich...privatize government..sell the water...steal money from the shareholders and pension plans by cooking the books to pad the CEO's lifestyle...etc.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2004, 10:48:49 am »
I do not think Canada will ever achieve a 3% unemployment rate. I strongly believe that we are near the level that reflects the skill and ability of our labor pool. We are in such a human resource deficit that we are employing the unemployable.

This belief is thanks to long decades of lobbying by business to have the natural rate of unemployment recognized to be around 7.5%.  People point out the poor service at their retail stores and other points of employee contact and decry that we have nothing but a nation of morons working.  Well, it's my own experience that employees are only as good as their employer.

Going back to the fish processing plant, we needed to find nine processing employees to work at a starting rate of $14 per hour plus benefits for the pilot project plant.  In 4.5% unemployment Edmonton.  Good candidates?  You bet.  Now, these are low-skilled jobs that have no "lead in" with respect to specific skills.  It's about training and management.  However, there are plenty of good people willing to work and it's simply a matter of harnessing that energy.  I worked with a building supplies firm a few years ago that didn't get it.  They paid the least amount possible, had poor training and skill maintenance programs, and management based on animosity.  They had terrible employees and blamed everyone else.  They talked about "bad schools" and everything under the sun, thinking that people should turn themselves into outstanding employees regardless of management.

There was a time in Canada when a government would face impeachment if the unemployment rate were allowed to creep close to 6%.  Ask Diefenbaker about it.  He was almost lynched.  Well, here's where we use the "we're not in Kansas anymore" type of argument that it's not the 1960's and we can't go back.  huh?  What economic principle is that based on?  We've had forty years to make things better, but somehow "progress" is MORE unemployment?  Wassup with that?  The US managed to reach 5% and their overall education level is not as good as ours.

I had an interesting debate with a local right wing newspaper publisher.  She was crying about the "Brain Drain" and how hordes of our super-bright people were being siphoned of to the US.  Better money, better conditions, and lower taxes were stealing our population.  Previous to this exchange, she was talking about adult literacy and how our 18-49 crowd were nothing more than non-reading dolts that couldn't buy a can of soup at the grocery store.

Well, if that is true, why were the Americans stealing them?  Her entire arguments were based on surface level statistics that are the tool of the neo-cons in creating headlines to convince us that we need a large labour pool to keep wages low.  Low wages means low inflation, which is the RIGHT way.  Low inflation of course is designed to protect asset holding people and unless exceeds 5-7% has no effect on typical Canadians.

I agree that we are too quick to compare ourselves to the US, and to the rest of the world.  If we like our country, than what's wrong with that?  We have a strong health care system, terrific education system (we like to run it down, but the rest of the planet uses it as a benchmark) and very high standard of living.

Taxes!  The Yanks have low taxes.  Well, in a micro-micro example, my cousin worked in California for a few years.  Now, he owned a small company there and he found that the income taxes were very low, but since he wasn't working for a big firm, it cost him $1600 a month for comprehensive health care coverage.  He moved to Texas, and while income taxes were very very low, he was paying $8000 a year for property taxes.

In Alberta, we love to talk about our low taxes.  But, we have the highest utility rates for power in the nation, high user fees for most services, and health care premiums.  Hhhhm.

In the "West" we have exploited the world to create a very high standard of living for ourselves.  It is at the expense of others.  Now, many 2nd and 3rd world nations are on the cusp of becoming consumers of good and services not unlike our own.  This means huge demands on energy resources and raw materials.  Anyone follow the price of steel?  It's tripled in the last few years thanks to demand outside of North America.  We've been sitting on our thumbs, not preparing for this future.  GW Bush's plan is to simply build a fence around precious resources with soldiers.  Is this realistic?  Is there a way that we can better utilize the resources so that the majority of the world's population can live decently without wrecking the planet?  We've used our technilogical ability to put people and stuff in space, to create the internet and cell phones that take pictures and send them to others.  But, we consume energy at a rate that exceeds any time in history.  We horde GDP and use it to control the world's energy resources instead of finding ways to share it and make it last a long time.

Pogo said it, "we have seen the enemy, and it is us."

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2004, 05:30:27 pm »
Intersting- very interesting.

It's good to see such diverse opinions coming from so many good people who actually take the time to expound them.

DS and JG - it might not be a good idea for the C&D group to meet in Edmonton, because the evening would sure be "debatable" in the truest sense of the word.

Our country isn't perfect, but our standard of living is and I for one am glad I live here and not in a country where one guy can send us to a war "HE" thinks we need because he wants revenge.

Chretian wasn't one of my most favourable people but he had balls for standing up and keeping us out of that war.

I digress - sorry. Back to the debate.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2004, 05:39:10 pm »
Nah, Inco..we'd be fine.  John's got lots of thought provoking things to say, and I'm sure I'd learn lots.  I usually work and play well with others.  At least that's what my last report card said.  
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Von_khan

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2004, 05:58:30 pm »
Some brilliant posts there John.

I can sort of start to see why you got out of the industry.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2004, 08:30:08 am »
John has hit the nail on the head with the Canadian Industries lack of training. Very few Canadian companies offer current employees training or apprentice programs for the youth coming into the labor market. Also Canadian parents have been reluctant to encourage their children to go into the blue-collar professions.

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business reported that as many as 300,000 jobs were sitting empty because of a lack of suitably skilled workers. The Conference Board of Canada forecasts a shortfall of nearly one million workers in skilled trades including plumbing and construction within 20 years.

People seem to view trade professions as a lesser vocation and that's just plain narrow-mindedness. Trades people - electricians, toolmakers and pipe fitters, for example - make $35 an hour in the resource, construction, manufacturing, and auto industries. For a full week's work, that's $72,800 a year, more than some white-collared professionals. A little overtime, and these workers push closer toward the $100,000 mark.

From 2000-2005 there is a mass of retirements happening and we don't have programs in place that will produce the next generation of skilled trades people. We have so many positions to fill and no skilled people to fill them.  

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Mdxtasy

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2004, 10:25:19 am »
Here's a question for all you parents and soon to be parents.  Do you expect or wish your children to attend post secondary education?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2004, 10:44:49 am »
Yes….and I invest $400/month for each child in various government and financial institution education plans. Imagine what kind of car I could drive for another $800/month…

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2004, 10:45:07 am »
Only after they have made enough money to buy me the car I want!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2004, 10:54:10 am »
WHAT!!!they have edumication after kinnergarten..my Primary aim in life.....only if they can draw neat pics of cars and get into a design school that provides Mom & Dad with cool rides each weekend......

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2004, 11:14:52 am »
A serious question..."Why aren't MY CANADIAN dollars rising???.....10 cents a post...ten cents a post!!!..Grant I need a raise..the quadruplets are killin' me....

(Message edited by safristi on October 04, 2004)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2004, 12:33:36 pm »
Very timely article, considering our recent discussion.  Reading and digesting......

Barrie1

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2004, 02:00:16 pm »
No matter what the so-called experts say I will continue to Favour Canadian Made Products over anything made in the US because of the higher Quality Standards used in this Country. That 18% may be the extra Quality time needed to produce the Best Goods anywhere. With the rules of Free Trade Slanted towards the US and thier Profit margins I can understand the difference in the no.s. Profits rule.

S60

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2004, 04:00:33 pm »
A growing threat to Canada's long-term economic health is its declining appeal to foreign investors who invest directly in new businesses and production facilities. The decline reflects the global diversion of manufacturing dollars to developing countries such as India and China where production and labour costs are substantially cheaper.

At the same time, the combination of the rising loonie, lower productivity rates and concerns about the work ethic of Canadian employees is deterring investors. According to the report, Canada's share of global foreign direct investment dropped to 3.1 per cent in 2002 from 7.7 per cent in 1980.

The one area where Canada did shine globally was education, with its ranking rising to fourth place from fifth, behind Finland, Norway and Sweden. Canada earned a strong score for high-school and postsecondary education, particularly in math, science and reading tests.

Despite the strong education showing, the report said Canada had a lower proportion of engineering and science graduates than European countries. To help make up for the gap, the Conference Board recommended that private and public employers give greater recognition to the credentials of immigrants.
Immigrants currently represent about 30 per cent of new workers in Canada, but many of them are shut out of their professions because their foreign credentials are not recognized locally.

"Despite our need for large numbers of skilled workers, we do not adequately recognize the credentials and work experience of immigrants as an important source of these skills," the report said.

Alberta, Saskatchewan and Quebec recently established programs to better identify foreign worker credentials, but the report said more progress was needed to help Canada overcome a shortage of skilled workers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20041004.RCONF04/TPStory

(Message edited by S60 on October 05, 2004)

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2004, 04:11:56 pm »
.....concerns about the work ethic of Canadian employees is deterring investors

I know these aren't your words, S60, so these questions are directed at anyone and no one:  

Where does that come from?  Is the fact that our population is generally not interested in cleaning sceptic tanks for $5/day mean we have a lousy work ethic?  I wonder if there is basis in fact for this statement.