Author Topic: Smart Car  (Read 44664 times)

Jimmery

Smart Car
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2004, 04:49:00 pm »
At the last Detroit Auto Show, Dodge brought out the Dodge Slingshot, which was a rebadged Smart Roadster.  I really wish Dodge would produce and sell that here.  A tiny diesel sports car would be great, IMHO.

X_ouch

Smart Car
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2004, 05:12:34 pm »
Nice name, SlingShot.

http://www.mcarsweb.com/dodge/slingshot.jpg

WTF??? this car is hot!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Smart Car
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2004, 10:29:09 pm »
thanks BT... after seeing the pic I do recall that now.  Sexy lil' minx, ain't she?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Smart Car
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
Yep, No idea why it didn't make the cut this year. Maybe next year?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Smart Car
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2004, 12:00:19 am »
Lotus should sue the batards!!!(sic) 'em Rover....the Protons revolve around the....ooohh never mind......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 04:02:15 pm »
If anyone wants to talk about an overpriced car, it's the smart car.  It should be about $5000 cheaper.  Just too much money and not enough value. Thank the mercedes name for that.  Still a cool car though!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2004, 04:18:58 pm »
Ya get what you pay for. Sequential automatic-clutch gearboxes don't come cheap; neither do traction control, stability control, abs, or direct injection turbo diesels.

Awebber

Smart Car
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 04:44:46 pm »
What exactly is a sequential automatic-clutch manual transmission?  Is that like the manual part of a tiptronic?

I've been meaning to ask this, so that's for triggering it.

=aw

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Smart Car
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2004, 05:04:45 pm »
The Smart has a "manual" six speed tranny (gear sets, not clutch packs like an auto-box) with an automatic clutch, and it operates like a motorcycle tranny, in that you shift up and down in sequence.  It also has an "automatic" option where it shifts itself, but I understand that the performance in that mode is so slow it's stupid.

The Smart has multiple airbags, ABS, ESP and a teeny direct-injection turbo diesel engine.  I have to admit that in it's price range, no other car comes packed with as much technology.  But, with two seats and little storage, it's tough to use as a true "car" in the way that we're used to using cars.  Without the ability to carry the three of us in our little family, it would be tough for us to use as a normal part of our tranport needs.  But, I had thought about one simply for my wife's commute.  The crux is that at $23,000 I just can't justify spending that much for a one dimensional vehicle.  At $12-15K, I might jump at one, and the payback period on the 3.7L/100km's would be shorter.  Sure, you can get one for $16K plus taxes/PDI, but it has no AC, and honestly, we're just too "old" to have a car without AC anymore.  I can't stand sitting in traffic sweating, and the wind roar of driving with windows down is very annoying.

An Echo Hatch with AC is cheaper, probably better built, has superb economy, and is practical in that it can carry lots of stuff or four adults.

Wonder how much it would cost to have an Echo painted in the cool "red check" colour scheme offered on the Smart?

Piker_2000

Smart Car
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 11:11:09 pm »
i guarantee that you won't see anything of the like in our section of canada(sask). If the car doesn't get blown over by our wind standing still, the highway cruising will definitely make hard to handle behind a 14 wheeler. It's obviously meant for the city, not the open country.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2004, 04:46:18 pm »
Well, I actually went down to Saint John to try out one of the little buggers. Pictures really don’t convey its’ odd proportions: Very short, very narrow and very tall. But for some reason I like the looks.  

Inside the ungainliness disappears. The first thing you notice is the high seating position, almost at minivan level. This helps to remove the feeling of vulnerability small cars can convey. The interior materials seem pretty good to me. Nothing jumped out that screamed its’ price point. The tach and clock were on stalks at the top centre of the dash, which isn’t very intuitive. The HVAC controls are a bit out of the ordinary too but are easy to decipher. Plenty of room for me, and the seats were good. Great front visibility, but the Cabriolet roof has a small back window, which cuts down on the rear view.  

The engine starts right away with no waiting: very quiet, no vibes. The sequential shifter took some getting used to, as did the lack of clutch pedal. The shifter action was great, short throws, just a tap up or down and the shift was made. The demo car also had the paddles behind the steering wheel, which worked well and would be my preference.  

On the road, acceleration in first gear could best be described as deliberate, especially since a “Hill Hold� feature allows the brakes to drag a bit until the clutch has fully engaged. Once the turbo spools up (~2000rpm), acceleration was acceptable, but the only drag you may win is with an H1 Hummer or a Kenworth. The non-powered steering was fine around town, and good feedback, enough to know what the wheels were doing, but filtering out the rough stuff. The suspension is firm and well controlled. I had expected a lot of hobby horsing, over Saint John’s cratered streets, but it didn’t happen. Road noise was low for a small car, with only really large bumps being heard inside.

I decided to push my luck, and take it out onto the highway. I took the access ramp faster than I likely should have considering the high winds and driving rain, but the car exhibited very little body roll, and handled the ramp quite well, and I was able to merge with traffic at 115kmh very easily. I kept the speed at 110-120, and was very surprised (practically shocked) with how well it tracked given the cross winds and standing water in the wheel ruts. It was actually pretty quiet on the highway, quieter than my Corolla or Tercel, for instance. Minor corrections were required, but considering the cross winds, were certainly reasonable.

One thing that I noticed was that I was being noticed! I got a number of thumbs up around town and on the highway, something that has never happened to me before. While turning around in a mall parking lot, an 18-20year old girl ran up to the car and tapped on the window and wanted to know what the car was, who made it how much etc, while the rain thoroughly soaked her! That made the car worth it to me!!

I don’t think it’s for everyone, but to me it has that endearing character that cars like the original Mini, 2CV and Beetle had. I didn’t put a deposit down (guaranteeing April delivery) but I’m much closer than I was prior to driving it.

(Message edited by Big_Thumb on October 18, 2004)

Barrie1

Smart Car
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2004, 05:20:19 pm »
Excellent report BT, sounds like a nice car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Smart Car
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2004, 09:59:47 pm »
ANY CAR that generates 18 year old girls in wet t-shirts is the BEST car on the PLANET.

Barrie1

Smart Car
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2004, 10:12:12 pm »
Can you imagine the line-ups of young lads at the Dealerships? They will never be able to build them fast enough.

Winson

Smart Car
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2004, 10:13:11 pm »
I really like your statement Johngenx. I give you five stars for it.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2004, 10:22:26 pm »
It'd take more than an 18 year old girl in a wet T-shirt to get me in that funny, LITTLE furrin car..............Haaaa..
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2004, 10:26:47 pm »
OVR50 = dead?

As Colin said, "Chicks and cars and the third world war.  The only three things worth dyin' for..."

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2004, 11:27:02 pm »
John - hardly, but that little Smart car just leaves me very cold. I just can't see it any which way. A Toyota Hatch for less money is a far better way to go if that's the market you're in IMO.

Mdxtasy

Smart Car
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2004, 01:02:08 am »
I saw a red one on the street (before the snow came) and thought....cripes is it small.  On the other hand, it's pretty neat looking and generates a whole bunch of attention.  Good or bad...everybody turned their heads.  If that were an Echo...nobody would give a rats ass.  The extra moolah for a Smart buys you attention.  

This brings me to this...how do you guys think this car will behave in the snow?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2004, 01:05:36 am »
IT's RWD, but it's light (light works better, less mass meaning less momentum) and it has ESP.  It'll work best with snow tires (like every car) but I would bet it works better well in snow.